IGNORED

Wing backs or Wingers?

Matt

Wing backs or Wingers?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Wing backs / attacking full backs
    • Wingers

I think it's clear to all that our flying fullbacks are suffering this year. Rightly or wrongly, I'm convinced it's because we are playing wingers and unfortunately, they're not doing the job.

I think it's time for a change of tact; we need to have 3 hardworking players behind Lukaku, not necessarily quick, as our attacking trio rather than showboating wingers, to help with the link up play with the FBs and our striker. Interchanging Barkley, Naismith, Etoo, Kone, players who will harass the opposition defence into making mistakes.

However, there's something to be said for having wingers too, I just don't think they're working for us. What do you think?

What were we playing last season? Because I seem to remember telling everyone Martinez was playing our wide men further up this season than last.... But no-one would have it???

i think the wide men are too far back and occupying the space where Coleman and Baines would run into, forcing them back and attracting opposition players. McGeady and Mirallas are too deep for me, and don't offer enough defensive cover

Agree Matt it's the first game I've been able to get on so far this season and it was much more noticeable watching first hand

QPR looked poor when ran at across the back and bar Barkley's run and goal we didn't take advantage of that on the channels you could see pockets of space crying out for a run and through ball but Kev and especially McGeady seemed to hog the half way line area or drift inside then play it back far to often

We just look very short on idea's quality and creativity and as much as I thought he'd come good McGeady simply isn't good enough.

I'd like to see Martinez switch it up now it's obviously not working well at the moment, for me the point of having the two deep lying middle men is to compensate defensively when going forward and with our lack or reluctance at doing so doesn't make any sense to me in wasting positions/formations at what seems like Martinez's insistence on trying to accommodate players as opposed to finding a good balance

Wingers always for me. If you play 3 players behind the striker they all get in the way of each other. Wingers should help spread the play and that is something McGeady does actually help us with.

I think the comments about our FBs are also strange as Baines has been getting assists for fun and Coleman popped up with one yesterday and with better passes shot could have had more.

They do tend to run into each other a bit more on the right bit that's more than likely because both McGeady and Coleman aren't the sharpest of tools!

we have 2 fantastic attacking fullbacks, lets stick with that. mirallas is a proper winger but he can cut inside and make things happen. kev also has learned to work better with baines and not be running over each other, so i'm fine with that. mcgeady no thank you, he removes seamus completely. we need a pienaar-esque player on that side, someone who will let coleman bomb on and they will cut inside and look to link up and create. i like naisy in the 9, he and romelu work well together and he's a hard worker.

I'd take Wingers but ours at present, aren't good enough.

Let the wingers score and contribute to goals and the full back provide defensive integrity. Would aid Lukaku (our big money player) by assisting and taking some of the focal burden off of him. Play a more relaxed, natural game.

I love the idea of two attacking full backs but it leaves us massively exposed.

When Garbutt's in, love him to hold back a little more and use his tekkers on set-pieces.

i think the wide men are too far back and occupying the space where Coleman and Baines would run into, forcing them back and attracting opposition players. McGeady and Mirallas are too deep for me, and don't offer enough defensive cover

How can they be too deep but not offer enough cover.... It's usually the other way round. Anyway isn't that meant to be the job of the two sitters? People tripping up on themselves here.Coleman being shite has nothing to do with the wingers.

Baines is going about his business quietly because as I've pointed out previously he's still our best player this season according to stats.... He's way ahead.

Edited by MC11

I've gone with attacking full backs.

And I'm going by how effective Baines and Coleman can be when they have the full freedom of their side of the pitch.

The wider men of the 3 behind the striker should be played to cut inside and create that space for Coleman/Baines to overlap. At the moment, the 'wingers' are running down into the space that Coleman/Baines usually run into.

We have, on paper, our best squad in a long time. I'm wondering if we have 'too much of a good thing' and we just aren't quite finding the right formula.

It doesn't look right in the pitch just now, something up top looks disjointed.

How can they be too deep but not offer enough cover.... It's usually the other way round. Anyway isn't that meant to be the job of the two sitters? People tripping up on themselves here.Coleman being shite has nothing to do with the wingers.

Baines is going about his business quietly because as I've pointed out previously he's still our best player this season according to stats.... He's way ahead.

They drop too deep which takes up space and attracts opposition players who also take up space. The DCMs usually would fill in if/when the FB goes forward.

Baines is doing well but he doesn't seem to be on top form, for exactly the reasons mentioned

Id like to see us switch to a 443.

It will demand a lot from coleman and baines but i think they are up to the task. Lets us play Etoo, Lukaku and Naismith/Mirallas up top and Besic, McCarthy and Barry in the middle.

Not sure the league would go for us having 12 men though.

Assuming you meant 4 3 3 I'm not convinced we have the forward players to make that work.

If we had 2 players smilar to Mirallas (or Eto'o a few years ago, when he was more mobile) it might, but with the players we have I just see it getting very congested in the middle.

Other thing with that system is we are basically hoping that Baines & Coleman play the whole season, which is unlikely in this day and age.

I think a 4-1-4-1 would be the best compromise. Have one winger (Mirallas) who switches wings. This allows for a fullback to link up with the "hardworker" and have a session of attacking. Then switch wings and the other FB can do the same. We keep 2 different types of attacking threats on the field.

This idea of Barkley being deeper is starting to make sense (yes MC, I'm agreeing with your statement from last year when I was not convinced it would work), though he wil have to continue to work on his defensive duties if it's to be another plan of attack.

This idea of Barkley being deeper is starting to make sense (yes MC, I'm agreeing with your statement from last year when I was not convinced it would work), though he wil have to continue to work on his defensive duties if it's to be another plan of attack.

It's a bit like when Coleman was found out on the right wing and reverted to his natural right back slot - playing deeper gives Barkley more space in front of him to exploit (obviously). In turn I think it'll lead to him adding assists to his game - the other night he could have quite easily got a couple.

4-2-2-2 for me..said it in another thread..Our wingers are shite..mirallas cuts in anyway so play him and naismith/barkley behind the front two of lukaku/kone/eto'o and the two holders...let's the full backs have a bit more room ahead but also gives them help from the two inside who would be playin in between the wing and no.10 position..would love to see lukaku with a partner up top..would really suit him