IGNORED

Southampton (Home)

markjazzbassist

I still can't understand why a player can't learn to pass forward. I mean, the manager and the players must see the success Gibson has, getting the ball up front. Is it that the players do not have the ability? Or are they simply not being instructed to do so? These are not children. They're skilled footballers. It's not like American football, like we're trying to get an offensive lineman to play quarterback.

Find a striker. Pass it to them.

What am I missing here?

It's called a "footballing brain" it's not very well thought of on this forum - more so yard dogs. Gibson sees the pass one or two before he even receives the ball. There is not enough proper footballers in our team

It's called a "footballing brain" it's not very well thought of on this forum - more so yard dogs. Gibson sees the pass one or two before he even receives the ball. There is not enough proper footballers in our team

That I understand. But it seems that "footballing brain" = "proper footballer", whether that means passing, shooting, defending, or saving goals. A player might excel at one skill vs another skill, and the manager will put them in the position where their skills are best put to use, but they still need to be able to see the field and players and opportunities.

If McCarthy, Barry and Besic don't possess footballer's brains, what are they good for?

Besides Gibson, who are the best footballing brains on the side, would you say?

That I understand. But it seems that "footballing brain" = "proper footballer", whether that means passing, shooting, defending, or saving goals. A player might excel at one skill vs another skill, and the manager will put them in the position where their skills are best put to use, but they still need to be able to see the field and players and opportunities.

If McCarthy, Barry and Besic don't possess footballer's brains, what are they good for?

Besides Gibson, who are the best footballing brains on the side, would you say?

In simple terms you only need one sitter.

Footballing brains are too far and between atm.... Gibbo, Baines, Pienaar , Osman

I agree with you on this I've thought the same myself.

Regarding the red mist that's part of growing up he will grow out of that.

Plus he's English so it's a yes from me.

I like the red mist, I particularly enjoyed it when he gave Alex Ferguson a gobful, I gotta say I was full of admiration for that, why he apologised I do not know. I have been waiting for someone to stand up to him, I bet Ferguson admired it too.

I would include Barkley.

It's just his brain is way ahead if his feet at the moment.

If anything I'd say he has the skills, but it's his footballing brain that needs catching up. He's shown on occasion that he can pick a pass and take a brilliant shot or two, but usually prefers to dribble into trouble instead.

I think MC's list sums up our "brainy" footballers at the club pretty well.

is it just me or does anyone else think Barkley looks better for England than he does for us

and if you do is that hodgson gives him the freedom to express himself and Roberto wants him to do things hes not capable of.

just recently though. last year he was way better with us and roy was ripping him in the media. i think barkley had a tough love year and had to learn to kill the ego and such. i'm hoping for a big year next campaign from him.

just recently though. last year he was way better with us and roy was ripping him in the media. i think barkley had a tough love year and had to learn to kill the ego and such. i'm hoping for a big year next campaign from him.

hope your right im not so sure RM is the man for ross or for us

Interesting point, Martinez is approx the same age as what Moyes was when he came to Everton - Moyes got the "he's young and he's learning" - Martinez doesn't get that allowance.

moyes came from preston north end, martinez came from a premier league side he had been in charge of for 3 (?) years and won the FA cup. big difference in experience there no matter the age.

moyes came from preston north end, martinez came from a premier league side he had been in charge of for 3 (?) years and won the FA cup. big difference in experience there no matter the age.

Why? Both small clubs with no real means to be in the premier league. Managing Everton is a massive jump up from managing Wigan or PNE, dealing with predominantly international level players with ego's and ferraris rather than players with a need to impress and earn new contracts.

Managing Everton involves having to be a tougher manager - something I think Martinez will have learned this year, no more Mr Nice Guy.

Why? Both small clubs with no real means to be in the premier league. Managing Everton is a massive jump up from managing Wigan or PNE, dealing with predominantly international level players with ego's and ferraris rather than players with a need to impress and earn new contracts.

Managing Everton involves having to be a tougher manager - something I think Martinez will have learned this year, no more Mr Nice Guy.

The point being that even with Wigan being a relatively small club, he had 3 years management experience in the Premier League (plus an FA Cup) which you have to conceed is much more that no years managing in the Premier League.

Its not the size of the club that is the point, its the competition the clubs were playing against. Moyes came from PNE playing against Championship teams - Martinez played Champions League contenders and the PL Title holders at least twice a season for 3 years. Massive difference in experience.

Edited by Matt

That's like saying Ross Barkley is better equipped to play for England than Harry Kane as Ross was in and around the England team and was playing premier league football before Kane.

The truth is far different, both same age bar a few months. The reality is that Kane has developed just as well away from high exposure as Ross has with high exposure.

SAF cut his teeth at aberdeen, shankley at several low key clubs like wise for clough.

In short what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who you manage, being a 39 year old manager of Everton is young.

That's like saying Ross Barkley is better equipped to play for England than Harry Kane as Ross was in and around the England team and was playing premier league football before Kane.

The truth is far different, both same age bar a few months. The reality is that Kane has developed just as well away from high exposure as Ross has with high exposure.

SAF cut his teeth at aberdeen, shankley at several low key clubs like wise for clough.

In short what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who you manage, being a 39 year old manager of Everton is young.

So you're saying experience at Championship level is the same as experience at PL level?

If anything I'd say he has the skills, but it's his footballing brain that needs catching up. He's shown on occasion that he can pick a pass and take a brilliant shot or two, but usually prefers to dribble into trouble instead.

I think MC's list sums up our "brainy" footballers at the club pretty well.

Good point.

But I do think half of the problem is that Ross is usually a step ahead of his team mates in technicality and this hinders him as it makes his decision making look a lot worse.

It was a big problem with hos growing up and coaches used to comment on it a lot.

Especially with the young England guns.