IGNORED

Southampton (Home)

markjazzbassist

Not looking forward to this. They are flying high, we are flying low. Also gareth barry is back from suspensioN.

Pressure's pretty much off us now and will be on them because they need to win to keep (faint) hopes of Champion's League alive. Think we'll beat them 1-0 and they'll end up seventh.

If Gibson comes through the international break then there is absolutely no reason for him to come back in... So we all know he will.

That would be very annoying.

If Gibson comes through the international break then there is absolutely no reason for him to come back in... So we all know he will.

Yeah barry will be there. I can actually watch this game since its on a Saturday morning (will be nice again next year). Sadio mane, dusan tadic, and graziano pelle have all hit a dry spell so maybe we can escape with a draw.

Every fucker who's on a bad run does. I still remember the pain of Jon Stead scoring against us.

Yep absolutely spot on.

Tbh when I heard QPR had lost 4 on the bounce at home and it wouldbe their worst ever home run of some kind or another if they lost to us I though .... Here we go that's that record nipped in the bud for them.

Every striker having a baron spell, every team having a terrible run end it against us.

Well, two matches into my "15 points from the last 10" post in some long-forgotten Match-day thread (should have been in the "will we be relegated?" thread), we're ahead of the game.

We've gotten 6 of 6 (two better than my guess). According to my silly prognostication, we will lose to Soton.

To recap:

3 Newcastle (Should be a win, but who knows, given the past. But for the sake of argument, a Draw.)

3 QPR (Win.)
Southampton (Loss.)
Swansea City (Draw.)
Burnley FC (Win.)
Man United (Loss.)
Aston Villa (Win.)
Sunderland (Win.)
West Ham (Draw.)
Tottenham (Loss.)
Hell, we might need Barry if both strikers are dented! (Naismith/Barkley for Lukaku/Kone?)

Guest rusty747

Totally agree. Play the youngsters.

Robles

Coleman/Browning Stones Galloway Garbutt

Gibson/Besic

Lennon. Ledson. Barkley. Oviedo

Lukaku

I still think we need another win to really put relegation fears at bay. That awful run we had really has knocked my confidence in the team and the manager.

If we get 3 points against Southampton then that takes us to 37 points. That will do it I think.......

I still think we need another win to really put relegation fears at bay. That awful run we had really has knocked my confidence in the team and the manager.

If we get 3 points against Southampton then that takes us to 37 points. That will do it I think.......

That'll be absolutely plenty; but I'd keep playing strong sides and try to finish the season on a (relative) high. Top ten is within reach with a good run and every place is worth £1m odd extra prize money so no way will we be putting teams of kids out, rightly so imo.

That'll be absolutely plenty; but I'd keep playing strong sides and try to finish the season on a (relative) high. Top ten is within reach with a good run and every place is worth £1m odd extra prize money so no way will we be putting teams of kids out, rightly so imo.

do we have a mathematical "target" yet. I know 40 points is said to be the magic mark but its not always the case.

great point mike, we do need the money and we don't have extra games with europe next year either. strongest sides out for me now as well.

you all seem to making the point that bringing in the people I mentioned would somehow weaken the team

the players I mentioned for a run in the last 8 games robles, garbutt, besic, barkley

would also be our best chance of getting points.

why people would want to stick with crap we have had all season and call it our strongest team beggars belief

you all seem to making the point that bringing in the people I mentioned would somehow weaken the team

the players I mentioned for a run in the last 8 games robles, garbutt, besic, barkley

why people would want to stick with crap we have had all season and call it our strongest team beggars belief

Think it's more the idea of Browning Galloway Stones Garbutt playing as our back 4... It's to inexperienced and we haven't the points to justify it yet. Integrate 1/2 into the side each week alternating it ( not for another 2/3 games bearing )

As Mike said, each spot is a million pounds. We jump up 4 spots that's another Besic in prize money.

i agree on robles, garbutt, barkley, and besic. they are starting caliber and quality players. don't know if browning and galloway at CB would be a good idea though if we want to try and go on a run.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Looking at the table with 8 matches to go, maybe we can say there are 5 groupings. Most clubs will probably end up in their current grouping, moving neither very far up nor down.

CL group -- today's top 4: Chelsea, City, Gunners, ManU

EL group -- RS, Soton, Spurs. Any one, but highly unlikely two, of this group could catch fire and get to 4th, should one of the CL group collapse.

Top-half group -- Swansea, WHam, Stoke. No chance any of these 3 will reach 7th. They're fighting each other for 8th.

Bottom-half group -- Palace, Newcastle, Everton, WBrom. Any one, but highly unlikely two, of this group could catch fire and get to 10th, should one of the top-half group collapse. So we're a long-shot to get to the 10th, longer still to reach 9th, our upper limit. More realistically, aiming for 9th, our likely best finish will be 11th, leading the bottom-half across the line. Overall a very disappointing season if that's its end, but to finish 11th we'd need probably 45 points, meaning 3 wins and 2 draws in our last 8, not horrible. Much better to end on 50 points, of course. But that would take 5 wins and a draw from our final 8. An even 50 just might, might get 10th, which would be a strong finish and provide some semblance of a satisfactory end to a disappointing season. If, however, we limp across the finish line on 38 points and 15th or 16th place.......

Relegation battle group -- no longer including Everton, it's the current 15-20 clubs, Hull, Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, QPR, Leicester. If Everton end on a poor run, 2 or 3 of the relegation group could pass us and drop us to 15-16th. But we are no longer in the relegation battle. By season's end, there will be 6 rather than 5 groups, as the relegation battle will have divided into relegation survivors and relegated.

Everton could end in any of 3 groups: top-half (possible, but 10th a much tougher climb than 11th), bottom-half (most likely), relegation survivors (unlikely, embarrassing).

do we have a mathematical "target" yet. I know 40 points is said to be the magic mark but its not always the case.

I personally think we'd probably be safe where we are now (though I wouldn't put my house it), but it's a bit too early to predict an exact cut-off with any confidence.

i agree on robles, garbutt, barkley, and besic. they are starting caliber and quality players. don't know if browning and galloway at CB would be a good idea though if we want to try and go on a run.

well those 4 were all I asked for but im sure Roberto will carry on with the same old same old