IGNORED

Dennis Praet

I would be rapt if Everton landed him, surely the Belgian connection would work for us.

An older article, but a bit of a write up on him at number 8.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/12/24/100-best-young-players-2015-midfielders-3/

Get him, Anthony Martial, this Sam Byram chap and a decent CB. What a transfer period that would be...too much to hope for.

I would be rapt if Everton landed him, surely the Belgian connection would work for us.

An older article, but a bit of a write up on him at number 8.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/12/24/100-best-young-players-2015-midfielders-3/

Get him, Anthony Martial, this Sam Byram chap and a decent CB. What a transfer period that would be...too much to hope for.

Martial signed a new contract like a week ago, so it's very doubtful he's going anywhere!

There won't be too many suitors for McGeady, Celtic are apparently willing to pay 1 million so it won't help much.

My hope is there's enough to buy a good #10 and a decent CB. Of course if someone is sold, most money should be available to Martinez.

Thanks Romey, that would prove unlikely then...

Still wouldn't be cheap Makis. How much do you think is in the kitty? I've heard around 10-15m left.

I think that McGeady will probably go and bring a few more.

If we get a number 10 in id be happy to see Naisy go, albeit with a heavy heart because i love his effort. Hopefully we would get 5mil for him.

A number 10 has to be a priority. If we fail to get one in I'll flip my lid.

Agreed pal, like Matt said a bit last season, were pretty close to actually being a good side, think a solid no.10 and our starting XI is solid ( Howard maybe not so )

I think people are ignoring upfront far too much. For me a no10 isn't as important as a top quality striker. There are plenty of players who can play in the 10 role. Yes, I agree we need one desperately but seriously look at the strikers. Especially if Rom gets injured

What's the point in having another top quality striker if we've no one to link up play and create chances?

So what do our attacking fullbacks that you hold so high importance with your two sitters do? What do the wingers do? Of course we create chances.

If Lukaku gets a major injury you think we can handle it with Kone and Naismith stepping in? We'll be nothing short of blunt heavily reliant on the likes of Mirallas and Naismith to carry us with goals. We need another striker A) to keep Rom on his toes and B) for backup.

So why didn't we create chances last season with the same fullbacks?

So why didn't we create chances last season with the same fullbacks?

I'm not sure. I just can't get my head around the fact we had no shots and no goals all season? I wonder if Mirallas not playing as often could have had an impact on it. The guy who was light years ahead on chances created the previous year. Or maybe Baines just couldn't be arsed and Coleman had a stinker. I just don't know how we never created any chances.

Or maybe we were just SHIT last year

Edited by MC11

We didn't have Barry and McCarthy available enough times together. Both are best at covering for Baines and Coleman. Then when they were available other teams pushed wide midfielders high up against Baines and Coleman to stop them stepping up as much. Our strongest tactic was then nullified. We then changed our style and it was more successful towards the end of the season. We need to adapt more.

Baines and Coleman are excellent fullbacks, no doubt, but the idea that we should rely solely on them is silly. With the midfield we have, opponents can start man-marking them out of the game because nothing's going to come through the middle anyways. That would just be too predictable for this level.

I think it's a real pity Gibson has glass legs, when he played last season some of his thru balls were brilliant. The reason he was able to do that was down to the marking of Coleman and Baines freeing up space in the middle. It's more about being able to adapt to situations something we couldn't do the first half of last season. When we went more direct at certain times we caught teams out.

• 3 weeks later...

He would be a big gamble. Remember we desperately need a creative midfielder. He would be moving from a much weaker league and is just 20.

He would. But so was Eriksen. There are many players who are bought from lower/lesser leagues who go on to be exceptional players. You just won't know unless you take that gamble. Players who are experienced in this league, are young and promising, will go for stupid money....Sterling, Stones, Roberts.

Sometimes a gamble is worth it.

Difference between us and Spurs is Spurs could wait for Eriksen to flourish. If Praet didn't hit the ground running our attack would again be completely toothless. So it's not just the money to be paid but the fact he would be the most important signing this window.