IGNORED

Cricket Thread

34 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

That has to be the most ridiculous decision: the ball was caught cleanly by Starc. How is it not out? Who cares whether the ball hits the ground when he does? He caught it!

Apparently not…. In control of ball and not body was the ruling. 

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Apparently not…. In control of ball and not body was the ruling. 

How can it be a catch when it touches the grass before he's in control (which he plainly isn't)?

Was always my understanding that the reason fielders invariably throw the ball in the air following a catch is to demonstrate they have full control.

Should this have been out? Not a lot of difference in the amount of time the ball was in hand before it hit the floor.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Only one of these wickets is down to stupidity so far. Just some very good bowling from the Aussie's

Exactly only Crawley threw his wicket away with an unnecessary flick at the ball, the rest was down to good bowling which should be applauded and not be forgotten because others want to call it poor batting. 

53 minutes ago, MikeO said:

How can it be a catch when it touches the grass before he's in control (which he plainly isn't)?

Was always my understanding that the reason fielders invariably throw the ball in the air following a catch is to demonstrate they have full control.

Should this have been out? Not a lot of difference in the amount of time the ball was in hand before it hit the floor.

Just watched it without understanding the finer rules of cricket. Not a catch in my opinion,

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

For all you Aussie tarts and wannabe Aussies, win or lose this is how cricket should be played. Proud to be English we make sports entertaining and sport should firstly be entertaining. 

England has a history of almost winning. The rest of the world calls it losing. :)

As I wrote before, we love to see Everton play well and entertain, but that is no substitute for winning.

4 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

England has a history of almost winning. The rest of the world calls it losing. :)

As I wrote before, we love to see Everton play well and entertain, but that is no substitute for winning.

Were you in your rocking chair when you posted that Steve, your negativity is really ageing you mate😂

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Were you in your rocking chair when you posted that Steve, your negativity is really ageing you mate😂

It’s wonderful to see the English spirit, not ever giving up, but I have to smile at the double standards is commentating. Apparently it’s unsportsmanlike to bowl short balls to the English tail, but that’s exactly what England did to the Australian tail. Yesterday the catch not being called a catch was all about the rules, but today’s stumping was just unsportsmanlike. In the end, these are two talented teams. Strategy and tactics are making the difference. Both teams deserve to be congratulated - but it looks like England will be 2-0 down. 

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His bitterness is hilarious and pathetic, leave him to it.

There’s nothing bitter about it. As a nation, though, England’s sports teams can too often be described as “almost” winning: close but no cigar. The teams must learn from it and adapt. We all know it: winning teams adjust but are also ruthless. Let’s hope England learn from their mistakes, remember this is 5-day test cricket, and come back to make a real series of it. No one wants to see a 5-0 whitewash.  

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Moral victory.

Aussies claiming Duckett decision would've been different the other way round, straight out of the Trump/Johnson playbook.

Then they "cheat" when it comes to the spirit of the game.

Shameful.

Sadly, we see less and less sportsmanship these days. Robinson has been a disgrace the whole series, and I can't condone unsportsmanlike behavior in any team. Throughout, though, everyone's been shouting "but that's the rule", so that's what teams do to win. I hate to see all these short balls; it's ruining the game. Nonetheless, teams realized in this test match that short balls cause problems and win games. I'd really like to see a return of sportsmanship - individuals being sportsmanlike even if it costs them a game - but can you imagine how the crowds and commentators would respond? We're now firmly in a world where winning is everything, and that is sad.

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

Sadly, we see less and less sportsmanship these days. Robinson has been a disgrace the whole series, and I can't condone unsportsmanlike behavior in any team. Throughout, though, everyone's been shouting "but that's the rule", so that's what teams do to win. I hate to see all these short balls; it's ruining the game. Nonetheless, teams realized in this test match that short balls cause problems and win games. I'd really like to see a return of sportsmanship - individuals being sportsmanlike even if it costs them a game - but can you imagine how the crowds and commentators would respond? We're now firmly in a world where winning is everything, and that is sad.

Short bowling is a totally valid and acceptable tactic, always has been. No comparison with what Green/Oz did.