IGNORED

Cricket Thread

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

283, not a great score on the face of it but can't really judge until the aussies bat.

There's rain around during this Test again so they were always going to go hard.

I don't think it's a bad score based on that but it does require us to bowl well to make it work.

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's called patience, and England could learn a lesson from it. As I remember from decades ago, two runs an over was typical.

Which is why there used to be so many bore draws, much rather see teams going for the win.

Used to be like watching paint dry, test cricket was on its knees.

Couple of stats...

The average gate at an England Test was 52,851 in the 1980s, 63,853 in the 1990s, 72,568 in the 2000s, and 77,418 in the 2010s. So, in that time, the average gate at an English Test match has risen by 46%.

If you really want to see what “swaths of empty seats” look like at an English Test ground take a few minutes to watch the YouTube footage of India’s Test tour from 1974. Only 19,700 turned up to watch over five days of play in the first Test at Old Trafford that year.

McCallum and Stokes not responsible for the earier improvement obviously, but it's the game evolving into a much better spectacle.

22 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's called patience, and England could learn a lesson from it. As I remember from decades ago, two runs an over was typical.

It’s called boring and it’s even being ridiculed by Australians who are finding their approach to this test unacceptable for a nation who pride themselves in their cricket, thankfully England have lit this series up with their proactive attitude and approach to test cricket. Test cricket is failing at has been for years because it doesn’t appeal to the younger generation’s, because of the slow pace and the 2-3 runs an over, England aren’t just making it a sport to appeal to the masses with exciting cricket they are helping to save the sport from the self destruction it’s heading towards with the likes of cricket being played by Australia, and thankfully a majority of Aussies can see it and don’t like it, but they like what they see from England as does most of the cricketing world. 

On 29/07/2023 at 04:27, Palfy said:

It’s called boring and it’s even being ridiculed by Australians who are finding their approach to this test unacceptable for a nation who pride themselves in their cricket, thankfully England have lit this series up with their proactive attitude and approach to test cricket. Test cricket is failing at has been for years because it doesn’t appeal to the younger generation’s, because of the slow pace and the 2-3 runs an over, England aren’t just making it a sport to appeal to the masses with exciting cricket they are helping to save the sport from the self destruction it’s heading towards with the likes of cricket being played by Australia, and thankfully a majority of Aussies can see it and don’t like it, but they like what they see from England as does most of the cricketing world. 

Cumming's is a tactically inept captain which doesn't help. I think in a 5 match series its as import to score runs as it is to make the opposition bowlers bowl long spell to induce fatigue, especially in the early matches. I thoroughly enjoy watching England play & hope they find real success under McCullum.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

That would have been such a big wicket just before lunch. Gutted.

Yup. Mistake from Stokes and he knew it. Would have fancied us from there but edge to Australia now. That said, the whole series has ebbed and flowed beautifully. Still a chance. 🙏 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Cumming's is a tactically inept captain which doesn't help. I think in a 5 match series its as import to score runs as it is to make the opposition bowlers bowl long spell to induce fatigue, especially in the early matches. I thoroughly enjoy watching England play & hope they find real success under McCullum.

Couldn't you get his name right for my sanity? It's been bad enough hearing the commentators get it wrong for the past 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Yes Australia is winning the series and England is not. He can't be that inept, can he?