IGNORED

Currently the most hated team in the media's eyes?

Lowensda

How have we gone from plucky, innocent, 'everyone loves Everton', to being the most hated club in football...all because we wish to stand up for decent footballing morals and making an attempt tp stop this trend of players moving to larger clubs, just because they can through wods of cash at people.

The media handling of this John Stones saga has been an absolute disgrace and now that Everton have come out to reiterate that he's not for sale, some media outlets are turning to fabricated articles designed to disgrace and shame.

But why?

Some people have started campaigns through social media like #freejohnstones...I mean, come on? Paying his wages and building a team around him is hardly slavery.

Is it just us at present? Is there really any justification of this treatment? Am I not seeing the neutrals perspective?

Might just be the main media. On ESPN FC page everyone who commented who wasn't a Chelsea fan was happy for us standing up to them. Some thought it noble and really hope we get top 4 soon to show them. Seemed like we won over a lot of neutrals. Unfortunately the press in England it seems Are big Chelsea backers so I guess that's where the hate comes.

Got to echo Mark here. Deadspin wrote a stupid column on it and 95% of the comments correctly pointed out how dumb the column was. I don't think this made us hated at all. In fact, I think the opposite is true. We stood up for a player under contract and people seem to respect that.

(FWIW, I'm usually on the side of labor. I'm not sure if the EPL has a union like American sports have, but a contract is a contract and if the player has a problem with that, talk to the union or his agent.)

Ive got mates who support all sorts of clubs, they've all said they hope we keep Stones. Once again Sky, Sun and their runty followers the Express, Mail and Star are trying to dictate rather than reflect piblic opinion.

The media in this country really is one of the most vile and corrupt of our social institutions, and nowhere is this clearer than football coverage. It's all about doffing your cap to the big boys, for 15 years it was Man United, now it's Chelsea. They are the biggest, the richest, the best, so no one else matters, everyone is there to serve their interests. When they don't toe the line, they become subversive and dangerous.

It's a view of the world that obviously suits the mega rich Tory bastards that run the media. Keep the masses in their place etc. Shame not everyone can see through it and people keep swallowing this shit.

Dragging the club's name through the dirt by association as in that Stones article is a cunt's trick. I suggest anyone who feels angry enough about it should write to the sports editor demanding they print/reveal sources and evidence.

We're going to see nothing but negative stories about our club (and fans) from the British media at least until the window closes. We stopped Chelsea getting exactly what they wanted, what the media have been trying to help them get all summer long, so now we have to deal with the "consequences". Fucking shitehawks. Well fucking bring it, give us a siege mentality, Everton and Evertonians thrive off that. I can't wait for the home game against Chelsea, it's going to be one hell of an atmosphere and if we win? Can't even describe how good that will feel to be a part of.

We're going to see nothing but negative stories about our club (and fans) from the British media at least until the window closes. We stopped Chelsea getting exactly what they wanted, what the media have been trying to help them get all summer long, so now we have to deal with the "consequences". Fucking shitehawks. Well fucking bring it, give us a siege mentality, Everton and Evertonians thrive off that. I can't wait for the home game against Chelsea, it's going to be one hell of an atmosphere and if we win? Can't even describe how good that will feel to be a part of.

Remember beating them 2-1 at Goodison about 12 or so years ago (can't remember the year, but it was the game jimmy floyd got sent off for elbowing Michael Ball). The ground was quite literally swaying, the atmosphere was like nothing I have felt before or since.

I sincerely hope there are a few more games at Goodison like that this year, especially against Chelsea.

I personally don't listen to the opinions of fans who support one of the likes of Man United, City, Chelsea who have only done so for the past 8 years or so - to me they represent the media era of fans who chose their clubs via "marketing".

Chelsea have been in such a rush to be a Real Madrid, Barca, Milan that they have forgotten that they needed to aspire to be above the likes of ourselves first.

They contribute absolutely nothing to the English game. Their demeanour on the pitch is a disgrace, the way they conduct themselves in the media stinks

Several football pundits in the U.S. took up the line that "Of course Stones will leave Everton this week, it's inevitable." Their smarmy demeanor -- literally, the look of "I'm knowledgeable and if you don't understand the situation you're an ignorant slug" -- confidently noted that only fanatic Everton supporters were naive enough even to imagine that Everton could resist the money.

I've no doubt that most of the football pundit-class will absolutely be hoping that things sour for Stones here, and that he will be gone either in January or next summer. I will be watching to see if even a single one of them says, "Well, I was wrong, we were all wrong, we underestimated Martinez and Everton." The more likely line will be, "It's only a matter of time. We didn't get it wrong, we were just a little early on the timing." Not, "Well, I have to admit I'm shocked that Everton are keeping Stones, but I'd still have to think Everton might not be able to keep him forever. Just seems unlikely."

I myself don't at all discount the possibility that Stones might be sold next summer. But if that eventuates, it will be on Everton's terms: higher fee and early in the window.

For now and this season, Everton win, Chelsea and Man U lose, and the journo nobs are left to figure a way to spin the story so they don't look as smugly stupid and vastly overconfident as, well, they look and are.

Why do Everton come out of it bad?

For me they have been hypercritical on what they've said.

Let's go back 18/20 month. Stones was a Barnsley player and Barnsley said all the things that Everton have said over the last few weeks. But did Everton just say ok? And leave it? NO they turned the players head at the worst possible time. The last day of the transfer window and the deal went though with only hours to go. Before anyone says Martinez wasn't at Everton at the time he was at Wigan and they tried the same thing.

For me A lot of people are thinking of the player and his development which will be benafical the national team do well in the future.

Both Everton and Manchester United are affectively holding back a player from improving and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Now they have both said, let me go and improve.

Now what does a human after do to improve ? Go on strike?

With the abuse stones got I wouldn't blame him for it. F--k off stones, f--k off stones you f--king rat was the message he got off Everton fans when he left the field at half time on Wednesday night. Stones never got that from Barnsley fans but maybe that's because he's one of our own.

It's been reported Everton have had a bid of 37/38 million pound. Now that's a great offer and Everton should be saying thank you John its in your court now.

Everton the club and fans seem to think it's one rule for them and a different rules for others.

Edited by BarnsleyFan

Why do Everton come out on if bad?

Let's go back 18/20 month. Stones was a Barnsley player and Barnsley said all the things that Everton have said over the last few weeks. But did Everton just say ok? And leave it? NO they turned the players head at the worst possible time. The last day of the transfer window and the deal went though with only hours to go. Before anyone says Martinez wasn't at Everton at the time he was at Wigan and they tried the same thing.

For me A lot of people are thinking of the player and his development which will be benafical the national team do well in the future.

Both Everton and Manchester United are affectingly holding back a player from improving and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Now they have both said, let me go and improve.

With the abuse stones got I wouldn't blame him for it. F--k off stones, f--k off stones you f--king rat was the message he got off Everton fans when he left the field at half time on Wednesday night. Stones never got that from Barnsley fans but maybe that's because he's one of our own.

It's been reported Everton have had a bid of 37/38 million pound. Now that's a great offer and Everton should be saying thank you John its in your court now.

Everton the club and fans seem to think it's one rule for them and a different rules for others.

Don't remember a 2 month public pursuit after publicly stating several times, getting our players to speak to the papers and SSN etc bigging it up and up and every pundit / journalist telling the world that he's too good for our club and should move for his future. There's been a massive difference in the 2 situations, and in general we are very well known for negotiating with respect and class.

As for the pricks that shouted abuse at him, they are just that - pricks. Don't mix them up with Everton fans.

Don't remember a 2 month public pursuit after publicly stating several times, getting our players to speak to the papers and SSN etc bigging it up and up and every pundit / journalist telling the world that he's too good for our club and should move for his future. There's been a massive difference in the 2 situations, and in general we are very well known for negotiating with respect and class.

As for the pricks that shouted abuse at him, they are just that - pricks. Don't mix them up with Everton fans.

It might not have been so high profile but Barnsley fans were seeing news clips every day.

It might not have been so high profile but Barnsley fans were seeing news clips every day.

Fair enough, but if it wasn't us, it would've been Wigan or Spurs apparently. I can find no article (wanted to check) that says we acted disrespectfully either. Lots of frustration about having to sell a key asset, I assume your finances were as bad as ours that you had to (in January too, which prices are often inflated), but we acted as we usually do - quiet and professionally.

Don't try and make us out to be the same as Chelsea by calling us hypocritical. We've acted nothing like that lot, and we are still a better option for John than they are too. As one of your own, you should be able to appreciate that we are doing the best for him, which is also best for the club. Best for yours too, because next summer his value will go up even further and you'll get a bigger pay out

Edited by Matt

Both Everton and Manchester United are affectively holding back a player from improving and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Now they have both said, let me go and improve.

difference being your board buckled under the amount of money offered, ours did not. your lot needed the money, ours is saying he's got to honor the contract. starting every game won't be holding him back mate, that's better than riding the pine and losing fitness and match sharpness.

What I'm trying to say too is that e dry club does it. Barnsley have done it to teams. The. Clubs Barnsley do it to will do it to teams too......

I know what you mean mate, its the nature of the game. I'm only arguing because you seemed to say we were as bad as those prats down south. We have much more class than that, particularly in transfers

I think you got fair treatment the other night, you're coming on an "Everton" forum slagging Everton off.... You're on here to vent your frustration that we won't let him go.... Please twelve it elsewhere. He's our player now not yours. He's under contract here and we don't want to sell. Unlucky John all I'll say. Get your head down and get on with it.

Do Everton fans worry that in 12 months he won't be worth what he's worth today and when he goes hell not be worth 35 plus million.

I think this was the case when Everton sold Rodwell or its at least what I remember reading.

There was some split opinion over Rodwell's potential.

I don't think too many people question Stones.

Do Everton fans worry that in 12 months he won't be worth what he's worth today and when he goes hell not be worth 35 plus million.

I think this was the case when Everton sold Rodwell or its at least what I remember reading.

We're worried he'll double his value in 12 months!

More important than that, Martinez has spent his time turning our once aging squad into a group for the next 10 years. Stones is essential to that plan, always has been. Thats the biggest fear - if we lose one of the building blocks, how many of the others will follow?

dude i think you think we are a feeder club for chelsea. we are not their reserve side. if he loses value? good, then he will stay and we don't have to lose him. his value is irrelevant to us unless we decide to sell which at this point we won't.

Edited by markjazzbassist

dude i think you think we are a feeder club for chelsea. we are not their reserve side. if he loses value? good, then he will stay and we don't have to lose him. his value is irrelevant to us unless we decide to sell which at this point we won't.

I think I'm realistic.

Everton aren't a top top club in England never mind a top club in Europe . Everton have had to sell players in the past.

Tottenham, Manchester United, arsenal, Liverpool have all had to sell players that they wouldn't have wanted to so why not Everton. You have done that before.

Realistically Everton aren't a champions league team and don't look like been one in the future.

Lukaku made comments was it last season saying that he hopes to sign for a top club in the future.

Edited by BarnsleyFan

He's not Rodwell who split opinions on his potential and ability as I'm sure you'll agree Stones is the real deal and his value baring a bad injury will only increase

He'll have a few shakey moments and games over the next month as the emotional strain is inevitable he's a young lad at the end of the day but once that's cleared and he's settled he will be back on track

The biggest plus for both our sides in knocking the plastics back now is that (imo) his value will rise as will his reputation which will turn the heads of bigger clubs than Chelsea

If he is to leave in the near future the best scenario would be a handful of top clubs having a bidding war

Edited by EFC-Paul

I think I'm realistic.

Everton aren't a top top club in England never mind a top club in Europe . Everton have had to sell players in the past.

Tottenham, Manchester United, arsenal, Liverpool have all had to sell players that they wouldn't have wanted to so why not Everton. You have done that before.

Realistically Everton aren't a champions league team and don't look like been one in the future.

Lukaku made comments was it last season saying that he hopes to sign for a top club in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive_honours_won

5th in the country mate, 24 cup wins, not sure what you think a big club is.