IGNORED

Sunderland (home)

Matt

Matt it seems Kone needs a solid week rest. So start a match super sub start super sub. Must be rotated to get the most out of him.

This is an interesting point. Off today's match, we probably couldn't expect, or even want, Roberto to rotate him out of the starting lineup 6 days from now at WHam. And then there's an international break, so if he and Lukaku work well with each other next Saturday, surely Roberto would start Kone again after the break. However, maybe Kone should start only one of Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

Don't know why Gerry is coming off. He was having a lot of fun today.

I'll guess he came off today because the match was in hand and Roberto wanted to save him from exhaustion. He ran/runs a lot. In fact, I think this is a good plan for Deulofeu: do not play him 90 minutes. Preferably start him, but occasionally rotate him to the bench, using him for final 30 minutes.

Geri was fouled - he just went to ground too late. His ball skills and dribbling are unmatched in the Everton side

Roberto must talk quietly but firmly with Deulofeu about the diving. He will be denied a penalty sooner or later -- or regularly -- because of a reputation for diving, which he has right now, deservedly. As Sideliner says, his skills and dribbling are so impressive, on full display today. Get the ball to him, over and over and over. (Hope Barca see more weaknesses in him than I do.)

I think it's clear stones is coasting. Poor body language when something goes wrong and I don't think he will be here in twelve months. But if he doesn't want to be here lets get top price. I thought Barry had a really good game and McCarthy had his best performance of the season. Galloway has to play ahead of Oviedo. The kid gets up and down the pitch and has an engine. We need a run now

These early morning games are killing me but boy was I happy... then disappointed... then depressed... and then ecstatic with this roller coaster of a game. We need to get our defense sorted but maybe just maybe the return of Baines, Coleman regaining match fitness, and Stones/Funes Mori can find some type of cohesion and play well together. I won't even talk about our midfield/forwards because they played "phenomenal"

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

No clean sheets at Goodson this year. For all the good RM had done this is one of the things that pisses me off the most. Goodison should be our stronghold the place others fear to play us. Instead it's just another ground. We need to turn it back into our stronghold.

If we keep scoring six I won't begrudge the opposition a consolation :).

How did Mori play? I only saw the highlights, but he looked jank. I thought he was meant to be good in the air, but he got stiffed by Fletcher for their second goal...

Maybe could have done better with their goals but overall he was very good. It will take a few months for him but he has everything needed in a premiership CB in order to succeed. His reading of the game is excellent and he's comfortable in bringing the ball out of the back. Strong in the air and it does help that he's left footed to get that balance in our defence. Great signing so far. Edited by Geth

we will not play many poorer teams than Sunderland - they were bad. Conceding 2 goals was concerning - they will be relegated no question. They were there for an 8-0 drubbing, they were awful.

Saying this to a lad in the pub last night..He was buzzing about the result and as much as I was happy to see our attack play that good..losing a 2 goal lead in the first place is pathetic

Saying this to a lad in the pub last night..He was buzzing about the result and as much as I was happy to see our attack play that good..losing a 2 goal lead in the first place is pathetic

Yep I do get concerned with what some of our fans see sometimes. They were so bad at the back it was untrue - I actually question whether wes brown played for man united.

We are in for a rude awakening if we go into our next game playing at that tempo - did anyone see the bournemouth saints game after? Totally different pace.

"We feel completely humbled by this kindness, from people who are far from wealthy." This is a general rule of life. I've noticed how those who give the most when collecting for those in need overseas are those who really struggle themselves. It's the same with time: When you need something done, ask a busy person."

Well, what a weird game to have to look back on. We won 6-2 but the scoreline really papers over a lot of cracks we displayed in this one. The game ending 6-6 wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility to be honest. For much of the game I alternated between apoplexy, happiness, despair and frustration. And, once again, we failed to put a full game together.

We started the game extremely slowly, as usual. We could have found ourselves a goal or two behind because of just how slow we were, and how badly we defended. It was criminal how easy we were bamboozled by simple balls over the top - there was no defensive cohesion, with full-backs and CB's finding themselves in each other's positions. And our slowness invariably ended up with us losing possession and then Sunderland showing us how to attack - with speed. Yes you read that right; shitty Sunderland showed us how to attack! It's a lesson we heeded though because completely against the run of play we upped our tempo and smashed them on the break and with just a couple of passes we were at their goal and Deulofeu finished a lovely pass from Kone off. It settled us down a bit but Sunderland were still right in it with our defence looking shambolic. Every time they came at us I was scared they'd score, and we have Tim Howard to thank that we were managing to keep them out. Again though we managed to put a nice bit of football together and some neat inter-play between Lukaku and Kone gave us our second goal. We really did settle down now and it looked to have knocked the stuffing out of Sunderland. We were passing it around for fun and they seemed to have given up. Maybe it worked to our detriment though and we switched off, because we failed to deal with a hopeful punt up the field right on half-time and they found themselves back in the game. Our poor defence was finally punished.

So, we were ahead at half-time but it was tinged with disappointment because we hadn't played well at all and then had thrown away our (undeserved?) advantage. I was still hopeful though because I was waiting for our good half now.

That hope was quickly extinguished though because we again started the half slowly, and 5 minutes after the restart our advantage was completely wiped out and it was 2-2. At that point I really did fear the worst and thought an embarrassing defeat was on the cards for us. I think a lot of the crowd did as well because things turned a bit angry. However, as we've witnessed many times this season, conceding sparked us into action and it only took us another 5 minutes to re-take the lead, so the crowd didn't get the chance to really turn on the team, which would have made things much harder. Deulofeu put in one of his impossible to deal with crosses and Coates put the ball in his own net. If he hadn't then Lukaku would have anyway. This led to Sunderland throwing caution to the wind and try to claw themselves back into the game, which in turn left spaces all over the pitch for us to exploit. And exploit them we did and we blitzed them with another two goals in 7 minutes. The first coming from Lukaku after a quite exquisite ball bent around the Sunderland defence by Deulofeu for Rom to race on to, coolly round the keeper and tap the ball into an empty net. The ball was absolute perfection. I do t think Lukaku could've dreamt of better. Two minutes later and Kone was doubling his tally for the afternoon. It was another breakaway goal and, for me, this goal was all about James McCarthy. He won the ball back just outside our penalty area with his usual terrier-like effort, gave the ball to Barkley and followed his run to receive the ball again on the edge of the Sunderland penalty area, kept his head and played Kone in with a deft pass for him to slot home. It took us a little longer to finish Sunderland off with our sixth goal but it was worth the wait for the ball Lukaku put in alone. I watched the ball all the way on to Kone's head and it really was beautiful, inch perfect. I could honestly just watch it on repeat. It was a fitting way for us to finish the scoring, and Kone got his much deserved hat-trick goal from it; he was brilliant. I wanted us to push for more goals to reality destroy them, and we could've, but it was still nice to just watch us take the piss out of them for the next 10 or so minutes.

The scoreline makes it seem like it was a coast for us, but against decent opposition if we'd played the same way there's a very good chance we'd have been on the end of a hammering ourselves. The defence was a huge worry.

Howard - Had rightly taken stick for his recent performances but he made many important stops yesterday. If not for him the score and result could have been a lot different.

Coleman - Definitely played like someone who hasn't been well and not remained for a few days. So credit to him for the effort he put in because he must have been running on less than fumes for most of the game. Not to mention that he was clearly targeted by Sunderland with a lot of their attacks coming on his side. He had a torrid time dealing with them as well.

Stones - A very poor afternoon from him. Very early on he almost gifted Sunderland the opening goal by playing a stupid pass across our penalty area when the only real option available to him was to clear the ball. He then proceeded to blame Seamus for his fuck up. That fuck up was a sign of things to come and he was liable for their first goal. Instead of going towards the ball he thought he had the time to wait for the ball to arrive. He didn't and the Sunderland attacker got their first and punished him and us.

Mori - I thought it was his most uncomfortable game for us. He didn't look as commanding as he had done previously and had a role to play in both goals we conceded. He could have mopped up Stones' brainfart, IMO, and he was made to look a bit of a weakling for their equaliser.

Oviedo - It was nice having an attacking outlet on the left for 25 minutes. That's about all I can say about Bryan yesterday.

Galloway - Shored us up defensively for sure, but Galloway is where attacks go to die. It's not a slight on the lad because it's not his game, but you really can see the reluctance to give him the ball in attacking positions. Three or four times I watched Barkley completely ignore him even though a ball to Galloway was on.

Deulofeu - So much for him not being a starter, this lad was pure dynamite and I loved watching him. Edge of the seat stuff. He is an assist machine and added another two yesterday, with one of them being a bit spectacular. Coupled with him getting the opening goal it wasn't a bad afternoon for him, was it? He does need to cut the diving out though. I almost exploded when he did it yesterday because he'd got himself into a great position and really didn't need to do it!

McCarthy - God it's good to have the real James McCarthy back! He was back to his best yesterday for me. He was everywhere on the pitch, he must've literally covered every blade of grass. Highlighted perfectly with Kone's second goal when he won the ball down our end, raced the length of the field and then assisted the goal. Long may his return to form continue.

Barry - I thought he was excellent and was a key factor in our ability to destroy Sunderland on the break. In the first half while others were losing their heads he was a calming influence. That calmness helped us in the second half too as he'd break up attacks and then pick the right ball to get us on the move.

Kone - Three goals and an assist alone would tell a story but it doesn't tell the whole story. His all-round play was brilliant; he bullied, he protected and used the ball expertly. All three goals were taken well; his first being my favourite. The ball he played for Deulofeu to score from wasn't too bad either! My MOTM.

Barkley - His performance yesterday seems to have completely split Evertonians. Some think he was brilliant and others think he was very poor. I'm in the latter camp. Particularly in the first half when I thought he stunk the place out worse than a steaming pile of cow dung. It was his use of the ball that really got to me. I don't mind when he gives possession away through trying things; I didn't grumble when he played a cross-field ball to Deulofeu only for it to be intercepted. He was taking a risk and it didn't pay off. Move on. But he was messing up really simple things. Literally little 5 yard balls weren't reaching their man. I was most furious when we had a free-kick on the edge of their area, Deulofeu is standing a couple of yards away waiting for the pass that was obviously pre-arranged and he over hits it and we lose out! Once we had more space in the second half as Sunderland pushed to get back in the game he was massively improved, but he needs to learn how to make space for himself when things are tight. It's something that just hasn't clicked or him yet, but it will.

Lukaku - Another fantastic performance from him I thought. He led the line brilliantly; putting himself about both on the ground and aerially. These are aspects of his game he's needed to improve and he has done. His first assist shows this - back to goal and holds his man off as he receives the ball, controls it and then lays it off to Kone to smash home. His second assist was just silky quality. For a supposedly totally selfish player he doesn't half set up a lot goals. Who knew?! He took his goal really well too - timed his run perfectly, showed great composure to round the keeper and tap the ball home.

This guy is no stranger to hyperbole. And, the nationalistic spin on it was a bit cringe-worthy. But, it's nice to see someone speaking positively of Evertonians (and fans/supporters in general). It's also nice to see positivity and mutual respect getting press rather than negativity and interpersonal violence.

Christ, I think that may have been my longest write-up to date. Certainly of this season!

Your comments about poor defending point out two things for me.

1) We already miss the influence of Jagielka. Mori is now the more senior central defender, at a time when he's still learning about this league. It's going to be tough with him out these next couple of months.

2) It's easy to forget the extent of change from a year ago. Of Baines, Distin, Jagielka, and Coleman, only Coleman was playing yesterday.

Your comments about poor defending point out two things for me.

1) We already miss the influence of Jagielka. Mori is now the more senior central defender, at a time when he's still learning about this league. It's going to be tough with him out these next couple of months.

2) It's easy to forget the extent of change from a year ago. Of Baines, Distin, Jagielka, and Coleman, only Coleman was playing yesterday.

Jags had a purple patch, but has still been the biggest liability at the back.