IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Quite a few people have mentioned the 'luck' element when others have been saying its down to roberto. Just showing that they actually might have a point! Not much of one, but there is some evidence

Just surprised that such a big "Martinez out" man would post something even remotely in his defence.

In shock ;).

Good interview. Not sure what to make of the answers. Will read again when I'm not half asleep!

I kind of get an idea that he is obsessed with winning silverware, which is fine but it seems to be at the expense of league results. I also get that he isn't going to change his methods and/or philosophy anytime soon, which again is fine, if they actually bloody work.

Carragher tries to go at the weakness of our play...the bad defending...Martinez seems to dodge like a politician.

It worries me that there doesn't seem to be any real recognition of a defensive issue.

MARTINEZ: "We are not going to be a team that is just going to be solid, that keeps a clean sheet and waits for a chance to score. We have been built to take control of the game, to break teams down from open play. That is something I get a real joy from.

CARRAGHER: But does that not change in the game at times?

MARTINEZ: Yes, but that is game management. That is making certain decisions that you shouldn't throw those leads away. The modern trend now in football is to work on being very organised and hitting teams on the counter.

That is the easiest and most economical way of playing. You don't get hurt. I don't want to be like that.

As a manager, I will never look away from the style I want."

Just a couple of observations in response:

What is wrong with keeping a clean sheet?

We don't control games, I can't remember the last time we completely bossed a team for 90 minutes.

Why should your joy have anything to do with it? You are paid obscene amounts of money to get Everton FC winning, nothing else.

Our game management is probably the worst in league. If we 'shouldn't throw those leads away', why do we keep doing it? Back to those clean sheets...

In summary, you don't want to follow the trend of adopting, in your words, 'the easiest and most economical way of playing'. Obvious really, who doesn't mind making their job harder as long as they don't follow 'modern trends'?

Apart from that, I agree whole heartedly with everything he says and everything he is trying to do for this football club...

Edited by nogs

MARTINEZ: "We are not going to be a team that is just going to be solid, that keeps a clean sheet and waits for a chance to score. We have been built to take control of the game, to break teams down from open play. That is something I get a real joy from.

CARRAGHER: But does that not change in the game at times?

MARTINEZ: Yes, but that is game management. That is making certain decisions that you shouldn't throw those leads away. The modern trend now in football is to work on being very organised and hitting teams on the counter.

That is the easiest and most economical way of playing. You don't get hurt. I don't want to be like that.

As a manager, I will never look away from the style I want."

Just a couple of observations in response:

What is wrong with keeping a clean sheet?

We don't control games, I can't remember the last time we completely bossed a team for 90 minutes.

Why should your joy have anything to do with it? You are paid obscene amounts of money to get Everton FC winning, nothing else.

Our game management is probably the worst in league. If we 'shouldn't throw those leads away', why do we keep doing it? Back to those clean sheets...

In summary, you don't want to follow the trend of adopting, in your words, 'the easiest and most economical way of playing'. Obvious really, who doesn't mind making their job harder as long as they don't follow 'modern trends'?

Apart from that, I agree whole heartedly with everything he says and everything he is trying to do for this football club...

Counter attacking football is trendy? The Italians have been doing it for decades!! Hardly trendy, he's delusional

It's the 'it gives me immense joy' bit that sums it all up for me. This is one big ego trip for him, all about watching nice tippy-tappy football on the training field, being hailed as a 'purist', and the rest doesn't register for him. There should be nothing giving him joy in football right now, he shouldn't be sleeping at night figuring out how to WIN, not talking about the 'joy' he gets in passing football.

He's a dilletant, he might as we be playing Footba Manager, he doesn't get what matters to fans or to football clubs.

"I want to build my teams so I don't have to rely on the quality of the individual in order to break teams down and keep a clean sheet rather than the other way around. That is my choice."

Interesting how completely at odds this is with Baines' 'no chemistry' comments. I'm with Leighton - we play like a team of individuals, there is no cohesion at the back especially, and if it wasn't for Lukaku's goals and individual moments from the likes of Geri, Lennon and Ross, we'd be in real shit this season.

So if that is the exact polar opposite of what Martinez claims he is trying to achieve, it just shows how badly he has failed. I'm all for team over the individual; I don't see anything like that in our team.