• Gareth Barry
    • Tom Cleverley
    • Aaron Lennon
    • Arouna Kone
    • Romelu Lukaku
    • Ross Barkley
    • Muhamed Be?ić
    • Gerard Deulofeu

Current Player of the Season standings...

Romelu Lukaku...165

Gerard Deulofeu...129

Ross Barkley...73

Arouna Kone...50

Gareth Barry...46

Steven Naismith...45

Seamus Coleman...36

Tim Howard...35

Tom Cleverley...32

Brendan Galloway...21

John Stones...21

Joel Robles...18

Ramiro Funes Mori...14

James McCarthy...9

Phil Jagielka...5

Bryan Oviedo...2

Aaron Lennon...2

Previous MOTM winners...

Stoke City (H)...Romelu Lukaku

Newcastle (A)...Gareth Barry

Leicester (H)...Gareth Barry

Norwich (A)...Tom Cleverley

Crystal Palace (H)...Romelu Lukaku

Bournemouth (A)...James McCarthy

Aston Villa (H)...Gerard Deulofeu

West Ham (A)...Gerard Deulofeu

Sunderland (H)...Arouna Kone

Norwich (H)...Joel Robles

Arsenal (A)...Brendon Galloway

Manchester United {H)...Romelu Lukaku

Liverpool (H)...Romelu Lukaku

West Brom (A)...Gerard Deulofeu

Reading (A)...Ross Barkley

Swansea (A)...Ross Barkley

Chelsea (H)...Steven Naismith

Tottenham (A)...Tim Howard

Barnsley (A)...Gerard Deulofeu

Manchester City (H)...Seamus Coleman

Southampton (A)...Romelu Lukaku

Watford (H)...Arouna Kone

I picked Baines because I think he did his job well and when he stepped up with a great impulse, it directly lead to EFC's goal out of nowhere.

Lloris

Coleman - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Baines

Besic - Carroll

Deulofeu - Alli - Lennon

Lukaku

Edited by Mirallas

Besic for me - didn't play the whole game but we looked so much better with him on. Hope to see more of him over the next few weeks and the remainder of the season.

Don't agree with him getting MOTM but in full agreement with the rest, he deserves more time on the pitch and we'd benefit greatly.

Tough one to call. Gave Lukaku. Just thought his work rate was awesome. He really hussled, unfortunately the way we were set up meant he wasted a lot of energy having to cone deep.

Thought Besic was immense when he came on. The team really need this sort of player...he's the 'aggression' so many say we need. No idea how he would fit in though.

Seen a couple for Mori...man, for 60 minutes this bloke worried me! His distribution was so bad. Looked much better later on though.

Tough one to call. Gave Lukaku. Just thought his work rate was awesome. He really hussled, unfortunately the way we were set up meant he wasted a lot of energy having to cone deep.

Thought Besic was immense when he came on. The team really need this sort of player...he's the 'aggression' so many say we need. No idea how he would fit in though.

Seen a couple for Mori...man, for 60 minutes this bloke worried me! His distribution was so bad. Looked much better later on though.

I thought he was absolutely awful today, he has a habit of scuffing his clearances or just aimlessly punting it upfield, that said he made a superb tackle at the end when Spurs were breaking away

Not at all. Those really were just passes. Here's his passing map, including clearances this time (purple triangles) You see that they don't correspond:

tfdbul9.png

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather take the word of people who watched the match than a picture of of pitch with a load of context-less arrows on it.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather take the word of people who watched the match than a picture of of pitch with a load of context-less arrows on it.

Well I watched the game from beginning to end as well and I noticed while I was watching that one of the things going wrong were the amount of passes that didn't arrive for everton. So I looked at the stats to see if my impression was justified and yes, 24% of EFC passes didn't arrive, as opposed to 15% for Spurs. So why am I zooming in on Mori? Well, Mori and Lennon's passing stats were so bad that it pulled the whole average down. You can really pinpoint it down to those two, but Lennon wasn't massively involved in the game at all, I think Mori has over 3 times as many arrows. Plus I think Lennon can be excused for the fact that almost alll of his passes were directed at the heavily guarded Lukaku. So when you can pinpoint a problem like that, you got something to work with in my opinion.

Edited by Mirallas

Thought Mori looked fucking awful first half looked like Sako at the the shite. Every time he had the ball it was embarrassing. Second half like the rest of the team he was better. Basic was outstanding when he came on, well judged tackles and a good footballing brain. For me Barry was the man. In the first half he constantly went looking for the ball, never hid , got amongst it. Led like a captain

I thought he was absolutely awful today, he has a habit of scuffing his clearances or just aimlessly punting it upfield, that said he made a superb tackle at the end when Spurs were breaking away

Old fashioned centre half simple as that. No messing just get rid. Even if he does fluff it now and again. He's nothing like Stones on the ball (who is a luxury, which people are forgetting) Edited by MC11

Old fashioned centre half simple as that. No messing just get rid. Even if he does fluff it now and again. He's nothing like Stones on the ball (who is a luxury, which people are forgetting)

Well if you wanna talk about rock solid defensive work, I think Tottenham's centre backs were pretty much impeccable. Nothing came through, apart from the lennon goal, which i think is excusable, Lukaku was sucessfully tamed and everything. Now let's take a look at their combined passing map (4 = Alderweireld, 5 = Vertonghen, the blue arrow is Alderweireld's assist for the Spurs goal)

jNCKlYU.png

Now that's a pretty green map right there. So what's Mori's claim to the MOTM trophy exactly?

I watched it and he was shite!

And two people who watched it in the ground gave him MOTM. My only point is that stats can be bollocks and a graphic of a pitch with 100 arrows on it in different colours and lots of little triangles without any reference to the context under what circumstances each "pass" was made is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

And two people who watched it in the ground gave him MOTM. My only point is that stats can be bollocks and a graphic of a pitch with 100 arrows on it in different colours and lots of little triangles without any reference to the context under what circumstances each "pass" was made is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

That's why we watch the game to understand the context. And my worries came from watching the game, not from watching the stats. The stats only confirm what I saw. Plus, you always get a much better idea from watching a game on your screen than in the stadium cause you have a better overview and you don't miss important stuff. That's just a fact (I'm a stadium goer as well every now and then)

Edited by Mirallas

I love reading through the man of the match threads. I find it really interesting how people see things completely differently.

That's why we watch the game to understand the context. And my worries came from watching the game, not from watching the stats. The stats only confirm what I saw. Plus, you always get a much better idea from watching a game on your screen than in the stadium cause you have a better overview and you don't miss important stuff. That's just a fact (I'm a stadium goer as well every now and then)

I disagree with much of that, but I'll stick to the "agree to disagree" TT principal and leave it there.