IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

On 24/09/2020 at 18:47, Palfy said:

We live in a fucked up world mate, and unfortunately we live under the shadow of the two most fucked up Government's in the western world. 
Welcome 🙏 to the pleasure dome. 

Not even close old mate, you live in a country where every politician in the parliament are all varying flavours of milquetoast liberal, the rest of the western world are voting in people with roots in actual fascism and actual nazism

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36130006

We have been living in the most peaceful, prosperous period of human history for the last 85 years and a good part of that has to be attributed to relatively benign US hegemony.

The Dunning-Kreuger effect is a cognitive bias that it's very useful to be aware of but cognitive distortions are probably doing the most damage to our politics right now.

Have a read up on catastrophising and have a cup of tea.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/basics/catastrophizing

5 hours ago, Chach said:

Not even close old mate, you live in a country where every politician in the parliament are all varying flavours of milquetoast liberal, the rest of the western world are voting in people with roots in actual fascism and actual nazism

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36130006

We have been living in the most peaceful, prosperous period of human history for the last 85 years and a good part of that has to be attributed to relatively benign US hegemony.

The Dunning-Kreuger effect is a cognitive bias that it's very useful to be aware of but cognitive distortions are probably doing the most damage to our politics right now.

Have a read up on catastrophising and have a cup of tea.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/basics/catastrophizing

No you are wrong Trump and Boris are dictators, they sack and use smear tactics against anybody who disagrees with there policies, they aren’t responsible for most of the last 85 years of peace and prosperity. 
Obviously whilst you’ve been away you have been brushing up on your reading, so you have probably been waiting for a while to use catastrophizing theory, but on this occasion you have used it in the wrong context, because others and myself have not been catastrophizing. 

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Trump has covid. One month before the election.

The writers of 2020 are really pulling out all the stops.

Could be a campaign move.  When you're behind in the polls something like this could rally the public behind the leader in a surge of patriotic support.  Johnson got a bump in popularity when he had Covid.

If he does have it, I wish him a speedy recovery.  Old and overweight he is right in the danger zone.  I wish him a crushing defeat in November, not death.

19 minutes ago, holystove said:

Could be a campaign move.  When you're behind in the polls something like this could rally the public behind the leader in a surge of patriotic support.  Johnson got a bump in popularity when he had Covid.

If he does have it, I wish him a speedy recovery.  Old and overweight he is right in the danger zone.  I wish him a crushing defeat in November, not death.

My immediate rection also.

4 hours ago, holystove said:

I’m almost embarrassed to say I didn’t think he’d stoop so low. But now you’ve said it, makes utter sense. 

6 hours ago, holystove said:

This was exactly my first thought. When an individual has no regard for truth versus fiction such that everything that comes from his mouth is designed to maximize self-interest, you have to consider whether this announcement falls into the same category. He can win sympathy, with the country uniting around his recovery; he can avoid the remaining debates; he can suddenly emerge healthy to claim it's a scam or that he's discovered the vaccine; he can pressure his opponent to stop campaigning, thereby recovering from his crippling shortage of campaign cash; and so on.

Having said all that, there does appear to be a certain level of panic among West Wing staff and senior party officials who, largely to appease the president, have deliberately avoided wearing masks around him.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

There's a conspiracy theory wherever you look. Now some Republicans are claiming that the Democrats managed to infect the president by hiding the coronavirus in his debate microphone.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-coronavirus-debate-democrats-1535910

It was a fox debTe.  Chris Wallace is fox.  So trump and co would be blaming their propaganda wing for doing it.  

there is no depth they won’t stoop to

On 02/10/2020 at 09:13, holystove said:

That’s what I thought, but hope I’m wrong not even Trump could sink that low, could he?

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Tomorrow is the big day. Keeping my fingers crossed that Trump becomes a lame duck. 

With all the anti-Trump stuff online it seems like a forgone conclusion that he's going to lose, but that's what it was like four years ago and he ended up being elected.

I'd be very, very surprised if Biden isn't the winner, but stranger things (ironically surrounding this very subject) have happened before so anything is possible. 

I'm not interested one bit in politics, so whoever is going to help to rebuilt the US economy best following what is a global pandemic gets my nod. 

11 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

With all the anti-Trump stuff online it seems like a forgone conclusion that he's going to lose, but that's what it was like four years ago and he ended up being elected.

I'd be very, very surprised if Biden isn't the winner, but stranger things (ironically surrounding this very subject) have happened before so anything is possible. 

I'm not interested one bit in politics, so whoever is going to help to rebuilt the US economy best following what is a global pandemic gets my nod. 

I think people are in for a massive shock with this.  I can see a landslide for Trump.  Theres no enthusiasm for Biden its just a matter of anyone but Trump.  Having left wing riots all over the country isn't helping the Dems cause.  His fans love him and wont budge.  On twitter seen plenty of Hillary voters saying they're voting Trump this time.. doesnt carry too much weight mind with the amount of bots out there

16 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Tomorrow is the big day. Keeping my fingers crossed that Trump becomes a lame duck. 

wish today was the big day, and that we would have an answer by tomorrow. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to know anything for a few days, possibly weeks.

Seeing as how the outcome likely won't be known tonight, I'm more anxious to see how a bunch of these Senate races turn out. Democratic fundraising shattered records this campaign, and if they can take the Senate and retain the House (which is very likely), even if Drumpf is re-elected, he won't be able to get shit done. 

Which sounds just... absolutely lovely to me.

I'm in a hurry to replace the thread title that irks me every time I view discussions in the 'Off Topic' area. There's no doubt that Biden will handily win the popular vote. The big question is whether Trump's allies (including judges) can tip the balance in enough swing states - through voter suppression, throwing out votes, Post Office delays, and intimidation - for him to win the electoral college vote. I'm concerned but quietly confident this evil man will be forced out.

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

wish today was the big day, and that we would have an answer by tomorrow. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to know anything for a few days, possibly weeks.

Seeing as how the outcome likely won't be known tonight, I'm more anxious to see how a bunch of these Senate races turn out. Democratic fundraising shattered records this campaign, and if they can take the Senate and retain the House (which is very likely), even if Drumpf is re-elected, he won't be able to get shit done. 

Which sounds just... absolutely lovely to me.

You can imagine the tantrums now if that was to happen. 

It's uh....it's not looking good. We still might not know by tomorrow, but right now it's looking bleak. And I also don't see the Senate flipping. 

Honestly at this point, how am I shocked by this. We have an openly white supremacist in office, in a country built upon and continuing to further white supremacy. This shouldn't be shocking anymore.

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's uh....it's not looking good. We still might not know by tomorrow, but right now it's looking bleak. And I also don't see the Senate flipping. 

Honestly at this point, how am I shocked by this. We have an openly white supremacist in office, in a country built upon and continuing to further white supremacy. This shouldn't be shocking anymore.

Currently praying that PA and one of the other swing states currently red will flip to blue. We also have to keep hold of Nevada... but yeah, it's not looking too great. It's also likely that Biden wins the popular vote which makes this even harder to take. 

I could see this coming, but I'm still shocked.