Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

On 06/11/2018 at 06:15, rubecula said:

Mike I know mate  I am not worried about a border between England and france  (we have nearly always had one anyway) my worry is a land border when none of the folks on that land want a border there.

Rubes when you voted out what did you think you were voting for, you voted for borders that was top of the agenda for Brexit voters oh and of course the 350 million a day for the NHS. 

Or didn’t you realise that Southern Ireland 🇮🇪 and Northern Ireland 🇬🇧 were to different countries, the first being a member of the EU the second no longer wanting to be in the EU. 

The truth is you voted out with not even knowing what you were voting for and you still don’t to this day no one knows what out means still, so I can in my head only draw on one theory it was racist vote not the type of rascism that is easy for all to see and hear and is easy to see, but a rascism that is hidden in the guise of Nationalism. 

You will deny it of course and you genuinely don’t believe you are a racist and l believe you 100% because you believe a racist is a person who calls someone a wog or a paki and you haven’t done that I know. 

But it goes a lot deeper than that it’s a form of institutional racism that people of a certain age were brought up with through the tv press and politics that’s why the biggest % of out voters for out were over 50s, and the Tory press latched on to this as did Boris and Gove and they sold Brexit by appealing to the institutionalised racism that’s in most people of a certain generation. 

But this form of rascism hasn’t been engrained on the younger generation that’s why they cast the bigger % of remain votes. 

Palfy me oul mate, you are so wrong about me,  however I do not want to get into an argument about why I voted the way I did (again) but if you really want to know I have said in the thread prior to this.

referring to me as a racist in any way shape or form is so offensive I can not begin to say what I want to say.

1 hour ago, rubecula said:

Palfy me oul mate, you are so wrong about me,  however I do not want to get into an argument about why I voted the way I did (again) but if you really want to know I have said in the thread prior to this.

referring to me as a racist in any way shape or form is so offensive I can not begin to say what I want to say.

Lots of our generation are Rubes unfortunately it’s a fact but we don’t see it because of the times we were brought up in, I am one of those not my fault I grew up in the era of Enoch Powel and the rivers of blood Love thy neighbour Golly wogs on Jam jars the list goes on, I would be a liar if I said that had no bearing on the way I thought. 

It took my children especially my daughters to reign me in and say dad you can’t say that, when I genuinely said things that I considered to be PC with no intention of being racist they showed me why it would be thought that way. 

They are what this country this world should be about, they have friends that are  of African, Caribbean, Chinese , Indian, Italian and Irish decent, also a couple of friends who are from Poland, all my kids voted remain because they couldn’t see a reason not to they were happy they had no problems with their friends from other EU countries, they had good jobs and freedoms they never felt a pressed or threatened, but not now one of my daughters has a job in the financial industry she may lose her job if things end badly her company are looking at relocating to Paris, her world is being ripped apart and for what Rubes fucking tell me so I can tell her.

So if you think I’m concerned that I may have hurt your feelings by what I’ve said to bad you take out of what I said what ever you want, but your vote as far as my kids are concerned has  condemned them to an uncertain future a future that will have little bearing on you me Mike and John you should have listened to the younger generation it’s their future you decided on. 

You never know like me they might of taught you something opened up your eyes to different world than the one you grew up in, the one that made you vote out. 

On 06/11/2018 at 06:53, rubecula said:

;)  I fully agree with this bit Mike.

I don't see how you can fully agree with..

"...we need to be moving in the opposite direction [to segregation] imo, the more we separate and build walls (talking to you Mr Trump) and take the, "I'm all right Jack, screw the rest of you" attitude the more dangerous the planet will become."

....and then decide to vote for separation:huh:.

•  

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I don't see how you can fully agree with..

"...we need to be moving in the opposite direction [to segregation] imo, the more we separate and build walls (talking to you Mr Trump) and take the, "I'm all right Jack, screw the rest of you" attitude the more dangerous the planet will become."

....and then decide to vote for separation:huh:.

•  

Not really Mike.  We are leaving the protectionist EU and going out into the big wide world.

6 minutes ago, johnh said:

Not really Mike.  We are leaving the protectionist EU and going out into the big wide world.

Except we were already a part of it. Now we're just going out clubbing on our own because we think we'll get laid more...

Anyway, not sure where else to put it (maybe the general election thread), but I thought it was interesting:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:ugcPost:6463822723884867584

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Except we were already a part of it. Now we're just going out clubbing on our own because we think we'll get laid more...

Anyway, not sure where else to put it (maybe the general election thread), but I thought it was interesting:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:ugcPost:6463822723884867584

I don't think we are going to take 7+ years to negotiate a trade deal though.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Crazy isn'tt it, leaving the morals of the EU to let this corrupt lot have final say.

I find it hard to believe the public wants us to be ran for the interest of corporations and at the detriment of their own human rights. 

You go on holiday now, if you can afford to, and it's full of Germans and Dutch. We've fell well behind in disposable income thanks to paying high rents and rediculous public transport. Everything cost more here, and to add to that the pound has took a hammering so not only do people have less of it is worth 20% less if they try and spend it else where. 

Rees-Mogg one of the stalwarts of Brexit now estimates that it will be fifty years before we see the benefits of Brexit, I wonder why he never said that before the vote,

Well John that’s you and me missing the good times and probably 90% of the Brexiteers, and those that do see it if it happens won’t be jumping for joy it’s hard to jump when holding on to a Zimmer frame. 

1 hour ago, johnh said:

I don't think we are going to take 7+ years to negotiate a trade deal though.

You might actually be right short term, because we'll have to bend over the table and take whatever we can get our hands on out of desperation. Dangers of that are obvious of course.

There's a good reason why complicated issues like trade deals take a long time to sort out, and why the EU became the economy that it has - when you're talking about the changes required with the parties involved, everyone negotiating for whats best for them... it's bloody complicated! The best way to compromised and get the best deal for everyone is to take care, which takes time.

Also, it's another reason why 18 months to pull off this "project" was always a delusion. I hesitate to use that word actually, projects have some sense of clear end goal and organisation throughout.

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

If she can convince herself it’s for the good of the country after being against it, convincing herself that she knows what she’s doing when she and those around her are clearly inept should be a breeze. 

Meanwhile, this just in:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46188790

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Corbyn and his followers will vote against it, DUP will vote against it, Johnson and his followers will vote against it, Fox will resign because he doesn't have a job if UK is in Customs Union...   only question that remains is if there will be a general election or a referendum on the deal?

Just now, holystove said:

Corbyn and his followers will vote against it, DUP will vote against it, Johnson and his followers will vote against it, Fox will resign because he doesn't have a job if UK is in Customs Union...   only question that remains is if there will be a general election or a referendum on the deal?

I don’t want an election, it’ll become a bigger farce. If a referendum is offered, at least the people will have a chance on the verdict (and I might actually get a vote. Unlikely, but more likely than an election) 

On 14/11/2018 at 04:19, Matt said:

I don’t want an election, it’ll become a bigger farce. If a referendum is offered, at least the people will have a chance on the verdict (and I might actually get a vote. Unlikely, but more likely than an election) 

True, no clear mandate can come from a GE but in all likelihood another plebiscite will still be a vote on leave vs remain not on the actual deal as its the people who least understand it that likely have the balance of power.

9 hours ago, Chach said:

True, no clear mandate can come from a GE but in all likelihood another plebiscite will still be a vote on leave vs remain not on the actual deal as its the people who least understand it that likely have the balance of power.

Can't be on 'leave v remain' as we have already submitted Article 50.   It would have to be 'stay out v rejoin.'  Then the issue would be what terms do we rejoin on?  All academic really as this would take a long time to sort out and the time isn'tt there.

1 minute ago, johnh said:

Can't be on 'leave v remain' as we have already submitted Article 50.   It would have to be 'stay out v rejoin.'  Then the issue would be what terms do we rejoin on?  All academic really as this would take a long time to sort out and the time isn'ttt there.

We’ve not left yet John, so the choice is carry on “preparing”  vs rescind article 50 application. The latter should be a lot quicker than any other option. 

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

Can't be on 'leave v remain' as we have already submitted Article 50.   It would have to be 'stay out v rejoin.'  Then the issue would be what terms do we rejoin on?  All academic really as this would take a long time to sort out and the time isn'ttt there.

I didn't mean literally.