Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, holystove said:

Curious to know why people think the deal is bad?   

Also, whether or not Trump is in the White House has very little impact on the trade deal which will be available to the UK.  Either you align with the US regulatory model or the EU regulatory model.  The current deal choses the EU model for obvious reasons.

Because nothing changes for the better. We lose what influence we had, we lose our EU citizenship for nothing other than a change of passport colour... can you tell me anything good about this deal that I’ve missed?

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because nothing changes for the better. We lose what influence we had, we lose our EU citizenship for nothing other than a change of passport colour... can you tell me anything good about this deal that I’ve missed?

You are comparing this deal to Remain.  Ofcourse it is worse than Remain.  

I'm saying this deal is pretty much the best she could do.  Brexiteers who now say, well if this is it, I'd rather remain are a bit dim if they were expecting something else.

1 minute ago, holystove said:

I'm saying this deal is pretty much the best she could do.  Brexiteers who now say, well if this is it, I'd rather remain are a bit dim if they were expecting something else.

Well yeah, because there's nothing else to compare to. There's been no real alternatives to choose between, mostly because everything that Leave promised was pulled out of their arse without any investigation or planning.

"The best she can do" is still shit compared to what we currently have. So, when you ask why people think it's a bad deal, I think it's self-explanatory. I only asked in case I'd missed something :)

6 hours ago, holystove said:

Give that man a coconut!

6 hours ago, holystove said:

There not dim the penny as eventually dropped that Brexit is far away from the Brexit that was promised by Boris and Co, so I would say that they have eventually seen the error of their original vote and want the opportunity now that the truth is more clear to change their minds, and politicians should not be denying any body that right when the proof is clear that they were misled.

They were miss sold a policy now they want to execute the cooling of period, to me that's sensible not dim.

12 hours ago, rubecula said:

the bank's warning or the recession?  if you mean the former I say  fuck them, if you mean the latter  its not a problem until it happens

Doesn't that scare the shit out of you? This isn'tt the time for sticking fingers in ears and shaking heads mate. If the economy is hit that hard, will we be in a position to deal with whatever happens?

It's not just the banks, it's the Treasury too. Then there's talks of security concerns if no deal is agreed. 

If all this analysis had been done before the vote, it wouldn't even have gone to a referendum

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Doesn't that scare the shit out of you? This isn'ttt the time for sticking fingers in ears and shaking heads mate. If the economy is hit that hard, will we be in a position to deal with whatever happens?

It's not just the banks, it's the Treasury too. Then there's talks of security concerns if no deal is agreed. 

If all this analysis had been done before the vote, it wouldn't even have gone to a referendum

not as much as the derby game and that doesn't scare me at all

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Doesn't that scare the shit out of you? This isn'ttt the time for sticking fingers in ears and shaking heads mate. If the economy is hit that hard, will we be in a position to deal with whatever happens?

What sums up the quality of Carney's 'project hysteria' is his forecast that house prices will fall by a third.  I presume he is ignorant of the economic law of 'supply and demand'.

35 minutes ago, johnh said:

What sums up the quality of Carney's 'project hysteria' is his forecast that house prices will fall by a third.  I presume he is ignorant of the economic law of 'supply and demand'.

Yeah, when you’re letting less people into the country, does that not mean less demand?

37 minutes ago, johnh said:

Very dim lad him, what does he know? Much rather trust tabloid journo's who plainly know better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Carney

54 minutes ago, johnh said:

Supply and demand only works if people can afford the demand and if that fails it cuts off the supply.

I work in the new housing industry and in the regions I contract for there as been a dramatic slow down in new home sales and also the same for the resale market.

Prices are already dropping mortgage applications are dropping, the effect of Brexit is beginning to be felt already and when it arrives with no deal it will be carnage.

33 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Very dim lad him, what does he know? Much rather trust tabloid journo's who plainly know better.

Do you think it's possible that he may know a bit more than the finance editor of the of the Telegraph when talking about the financial markets and the affects of political decisions whether nationally or globally.

And he's not tied to any political views or party's by his boss's, if you read the papers that back the conservatives you'd be fooled into thinking that Brexit is the best thing that's happened to us.

23 hours ago, MikeO said:

Mike,  Carney came up with a load of forecasts after the referendum, how did they go?  He's a bit hard faced to come up with the latest load of crap after getting it so wrong last time. He is starting to back off now, claiming that it was a 'worst case' scenario.   Why didn't they also produce a 'best case' scenario?  probably because they didn't bother doing one.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

Hypocrisy? Live and well in Mrs May, she's not ruling out a second commons vote if she doesn't get it through first time....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46394431

Presumably because MP's don't understand the position and after it becomes clear to them they might change their minds, remind you of anything?

Response to this one would be enlightening @johnh. Deafening silence from you on that.

On Carney you don't trust the guy, fair enough. Stick with Gove, Boris, Rees-Mogg and Farage because they know better (despite their total lack of any proposals), everyone who knows anything about anything has said we're going to be worse off, even the government's own stats. The counter argument is the scrupulously researched and highly detailed three word response; "brexit means brexit". OK.

I find it extremely depressing that we're not far behind US/Trump as a global laughing stock; but at least we'll take back control of our food banks, homelessness, kids in poverty and massive regional division. All good then.

4 hours ago, johnh said:

Mike,  Carney came up with a load of forecasts after the referendum, how did they go?  He's a bit hard faced to come up with the latest load of crap after getting it so wrong last time. He is starting to back off now, claiming that it was a 'worst case' scenario.   Why didn't they also produce a 'best case' scenario?  probably because they didn't bother doing one.

More because there isn'tt one.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Great article just waiting for John and Rubes to shout project fear just like the pompous idiots they believed in, as they are followers of stats how can they possibly argue they were right when the facts clearly prove they are wrong, unless of course the harbour another agenda. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Great article just waiting for John and Rubes to shout project fear just like the pompous idiots they believed in, as they are followers of stats how can they possibly argue they were right when the facts clearly prove they are wrong, unless of course the harbour another agenda. 

Anyone who voted leave was going on opinion, not facts. It’s just a shame either campaign actually bothered to show any prior to the referendum 

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Anyone who voted leave was going on opinion, not facts. It’s just a shame either campaign actually bothered to show any prior to the referendum 

I can respect (though fundamentally disagree with) anyone who voted out because they wanted our "independence" back despite the financial consequences. My vote to stay had nothing to do with money, it was purely about keeping barriers down rather than (re)building them. If staying in would've made me poorer I'd still have voted for it.

Just now, Matt said:

But now we have more of an idea of what the true Brexit is going to look like, it shouldn't be left to a few hundred to decide whether we no deal no Brexit or except the deal it should be made by the millions, there should be a vote with 3 options with Brexit and no deal, Brexit with the PMs deal or no Brexit.

I think remain campaigners did highlight things that have happened as the article says, but Brexiteers and the right wing press condemned the truth as project fear without counter arguments, and a big proportion of the population supported them because it gave them the opportunity to hide there prejudices yet push them through.

Now these type of people won't change their vote but the ones who genuinely voted out because they were tricked into believing we would be better off are the ones who want the right to right a wrong and why shouldn't they, now the only voters who would object to this are the Brexiteers with the prejudices.