Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

On 15/12/2018 at 10:31, johnh said:

I didn't say they shouldn't be given the right.  I criticised your suggestion of how the referendum should be structured.  You appear to be suggesting that there should be two options for voting Brexit, but only one for remain.   Do you mean that if half the Brexit vote goes for each Brexit option, say 26% for each, and Remain gets 48% then Remain wins?   

See where your coming from John and the honest answer is I don’t know anymore, when you look at Mays deal it doesn’t suit either camp so maybe just maybe that’s the compromise no winners all losers. 

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Yes, it was very clear.  We voted to enter the European Common Market not a Federal Europe with its own army.

Except there is no army, there’s NATO. 

Having a second referendum wasn’t the issue in my opinion. The issue has always been that politicians were uneducated on what they were proposing, used the whole thing for their own political gain and, now it’s coming to an actual vote, not a glorified opinion poll, the PM is refusing to follow the democratic process. 

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

All those calling for a second referendum just assume it will be Remain this time.  What will they do if it is Leave again?

In the national interest MPs and the government should just revoke article 50.  This is not a question for the people (take this thread as an example).

23 minutes ago, holystove said:

In the national interest MPs and the government should just revoke article 50. 

Option one by a mile for me....

http://www.toffeetalk.com/topic/27945-brexit/?do=findComment&comment=658581

....but I hold onto the (probably misguided) hope that the British public realise what a daft decision they made in 2016 so there won't be enough stupid, stubborn (and idealistic) people willing to make the same mistake again.

47 minutes ago, holystove said:

In the national interest MPs and the government should just revoke article 50.  This is not a question for the people (take this thread as an example).

You really think it's a question for the MPs / government? They don't know what they're doing, either. Those that pretend they do are guided by self-interest.  

1 minute ago, Formby said:

You really think it's a question for the MPs / government? They don't know what they're doing, either. Those that pretend they do are guided by self-interest.  

This is where I actually feel sorry for May (never thought I'd say that); she's been left trying to sort out a shitstorm created by people who've all run away and hidden and are notable only by their vacuous comments (eg Rees-Mogg "terrible result for May") or their silence.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

This is where I actually feel sorry for May (never thought I'd say that); she's been left trying to sort out a shitstorm created by people who've all run away and hidden and are notable only by their vacuous comments (eg Rees-Mogg "terrible result for May") or their silence.

I don't she couldn't wait to implement article 50 she was in such a rush just to prove she was strong and ready to take control of the country.

That was the big mistake that she hasn't or the country haven't recovered from she rushed headlong to implementing article 50 without any thought or planning like it was proof she was strong and ready to lead.

That's why I don't feel sorry for her she never did her homework or any planning.

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don't she couldn't wait to implement article 50 she was in such a rush just to prove she was strong and ready to take control of the country.

That was the big mistake that she hasn't or the country haven't recovered from she rushed headlong to implementing article 50 without any thought or planning like it was proof she was strong and ready to lead.

That's why I don't feel sorry for her she never did her homework or any planning.

Can't disagree with that Palfy.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

And surrounded herself with the barrel scrapings of the outdoor lav as “advisors”. 

She didn’t start the shitstorm, but she certainly whipped it up into a tornado crap whilst ignoring anyone or anything that challenged her decision. 

14 hours ago, holystove said:

All those calling for a second referendum just assume it will be Remain this time.  What will they do if it is Leave again?

While I agree with the sentiment, there is currently a mandate facilitated by the government for Britain to leave the EU. This genie was loosened by the electorate and only they can put it back*

* I know this is ridiculous given the UK has a westminster parliamentary system, eg why would any Liverpool MP whose constituents voted in the majority to remain vote for a bill to Brexit?

11 minutes ago, Chach said:

While I agree with the sentiment, there is currently a mandate facilitated by the government for Britain to leave the EU. This genie was loosened by the electorate and only they can put it back*

* I know this is ridiculous given the UK has a westminster parliamentary system, eg why would any Liverpool MP whose constituents voted in the majority to remain vote for a bill to Brexit?

🤷‍♂️ Would they even want to if it becomes public knowledge how they voted could make their lives hell, it’s got to be our choice how ever it’s worded. 

I don’t want them making the decision for me they’ve proven to be incapable of making sensible judgments. 

39 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Not really I have as much of a vested interest as to what happens before and after Brexit as you, this isn’t now solely the demain of the Brexiteers. 

The second referendum would be the domain of people changing their mind, Remain > Leave and Leave > Remain.

its entirely conceivable the leave position would improve.

2 hours ago, Chach said:

Yeah, nah.

I would’ve been Remain before, and I’m still for it now. Others were Leave voters before and show no sign of changing their minds  

If there was a second referendum it’d be for everyone (ideally), not just those thinking of changing their position. 

Just now, Matt said:

I would’ve been Remain before, and I’m still for it now. Others were Leave voters before and show no sign of changing their minds  

If there was a second referendum it’d be for everyone (ideally), not just those thinking of changing their position. 

Thank you for clarifying, captain obvious.

So in summary, it would be for everyone and only the people who have changed their mind from the last time would have a net impact on the result.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

14 minutes ago, Chach said:

Thank you for clarifying, captain obvious.

So in summary, it would be for everyone and only the people who have changed their mind from the last time would have a net impact on the result.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

No. People have died, new generation of voters coming, for example. Or is that too obvious too?