Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Chach said:

Ok, I'm just going to assume you've never taken a statistics unit and just leave it there.

I’m guessing neither have you if you don’t see new stats entering into an existing formula. 

Yes, leave or remain could gain more from people changing minds. The 3m people abroad might be given a voice. Leave voters tended to be older, some might not be around to vote. Under age people in 2016 will now be of age to vote. 

Yeah, it’s more than just people changing their minds. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

new stats entering into an existing formula. 

The stats are the outcomes, the changes to inputs are variables.

Over a longer period that would certainly make a larger difference, but we're talking of a margin of 1.3m votes over a couple of years and we know how different demographics voted last time. 

People are going to have to change their mind and if this thread is anything to go by I wouldn't have any breath holding competitions on that happening.

Just now, Chach said:

The stats are the outcomes, the changes to inputs are variables.

Over a longer period that would certainly make a larger difference, but we're talking of a margin of 1.3m votes over a couple of years and we know how different demographics voted last time. 

People are going to have to change their mind and if this thread is anything to go by I wouldn't have any breath holding competitions on that happening.

My mistake on the wording, but you know what I mean.

Wasn't denying that. I said it will be decided by people who are interested, although I should've said eligible and interested.

Can't remember where I read it back after the result was announced, but by the time Brexit would be implemented, it was estimated 2.5m new voters would be of age, and as the trend of votes showed, the majority of youth wanted to Remain. It was also estimated 1.5m would have died by the time Brexit was implemented, with the older population being more likely to vote leave. That's a big difference, (ignoring the 3m that weren't allowed to vote, because we probably wouldn't be allowed again), that's not down to changing of mind.  

10 minutes ago, Chach said:

Had to smile at this line! Is there anyone on the board who has changed sides / position? Lots of bunkered in talk and not much rapprochement.  

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Wasn't denying that. I said it will be decided by people who are interested, although I should've said eligible and interested.

Can't remember where I read it back after the result was announced, but by the time Brexit would be implemented, it was estimated 2.5m new voters would be of age, and as the trend of votes showed, the majority of youth wanted to Remain. It was also estimated 1.5m would have died by the time Brexit was implemented, with the older population being more likely to vote leave. That's a big difference, (ignoring the 3m that weren't allowed to vote, because we probably wouldn't be allowed again), that's not down to changing of mind.  

What was the voter turnout of the 1.5m who were on deaths door or the 2.5m new voters?

I'll wager it wasn't 72% mate, the demographic change will not swing the vote because it will look roughly the same.

1 minute ago, Chach said:

What was the voter turnout of the 1.5m who were on deaths door or the 2.5m new voters?

I'll wager it wasn't 72% mate, the demographic change will not swing the vote because it will look roughly the same.

Fair point, but the young voters will be a lot more motivated than those who aren't here anymore, and with the last 20 months, the youth might be more motivated than ever.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Fair point, but the young voters will be a lot more motivated than those who aren't here anymore, and with the last 20 months, the youth might be more motivated than ever.

Also I think it was assumed all along that remain would win so possibly a lot of people just didn't bother, nearly thirteen million didn't vote. Certainly some of them will have been "out" supporters but I think it's fair to assume that a lot of them were quite content with how things were and trusted in the polls telling them that that was how it was going to stay; people who want change are more likely to act than people happy with the status quo.

2 hours ago, Formby said:

Had to smile at this line! Is there anyone on the board who has changed sides / position? Lots of bunkered in talk and not much rapprochement.  

If anything, I’ve learnt a lot from all the research I’ve done leading up to and since the referendum, and I’m more convinced than ever that remaining would’ve been the better option

10 hours ago, Chach said:

The second referendum would be the domain of people changing their mind, Remain > Leave and Leave > Remain.

its entirely conceivable the leave position would improve.

Of course you’re right it is very possible that the leave position could improve, and if it did or didn’t a new vote based more on the reality and not the lies of both sides would be a more definitive and just result. 

With out doubt there must be numerous people on both sides who feel they had been misled, plus the millions who never voted that may feel their vote would make a difference to the outcome. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Considering there has been no official breakdown of the vote, how can you say the majority of youth wanted to remain? You’re going off unofficial polls for your info, the same sort of unofficial polls that had remain comfortably winning the vote.

Tut, tut 😛 

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Considering there has been no official breakdown of the vote, how can you say the majority of youth wanted to remain? You’re going off unofficial polls for your info, the same sort of unofficial polls that had remain comfortably winning the vote.

Tut, tut 😛 

Not rocket science though, feel free to dismiss it if you like but pretty undeniable...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not rocket science though, feel free to dismiss it if you like but pretty undeniable...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

YouGov had remain winning the vote beforehand, which seemed pretty undeniable as well, and polls in recent years around voting have been a load of shite. And tbh, I wouldn’t trust the youth of this country as far as I could thrown them anyway. It’s that youth that campaigns to get clapping banned at uni and you must do jazz hands to show appreciation instead. Or that same youth that wants the wearing of poppies banned. So, with all due respect, the youth are as big a bunch of fucking idiots as any age group. Their want is no more important than anyone else’s.

I was only winding Matt up anyway. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

YouGov had remain winning the vote beforehand, which seemed pretty undeniable as well, and polls in recent years around voting have been a load of shite. And tbh, I wouldn’t trust the youth of this country as far as I could thrown them anyway. It’s that youth that campaigns to get clapping banned at uni and you must do jazz hands to show appreciation instead. Or that same youth that wants the wearing of poppies banned. So, with all due respect, the youth are as big a bunch of fucking idiots as any age group. Their want is no more important than anyone else’s.

I was only winding Matt up anyway. 

You type fast!

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I can only say based on my wider family that those statistics on the vote based on age are pretty much the same as our family voted. 

Not a single member of my close or extended family voted out I'm proud to say, from a 16 year old niece who was well pissed she had no say to my late father-in-law (who was 93 at the time).

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not a single member of my close or extended family voted out I'm proud to say, from a 16 year old niece who was well pissed she had no say to my late father-in-law (who was 93 at the time).

My son who was 33 at the time didn’t vote, my daughters who were 31 and 29 voted remain my wife and myself voted remain, both my wife’s parents and their partners voted leave they are all in there mid 70s to early 80s. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

Of course you’re right it is very possible that the leave position could improve, and if it did or didn’t a new vote based more on the reality and not the lies of both sides would be a more definitive and just result. 

With out doubt there must be numerous people on both sides who feel they had been misled, plus the millions who never voted that may feel their vote would make a difference to the outcome. 

It would be very interesting to watch it unfold thats for sure.

Matt, you're in the clear.   The UK and Switzerland have come to an agreement which covers both scenarios, withdrawal agreement or no deal, and it states there will be no change to the status of UK citizens in Switzerland or Swiss citizens in the UK.

https://www.ejpd.admin.ch/ejpd/en/home/aktuell/news/2018/2018-12-20.html

23 minutes ago, holystove said:

Matt, you're in the clear.   The UK and Switzerland have come to an agreement which covers both scenarios, withdrawal agreement or no deal, and it states there will be no change to the status of UK citizens in Switzerland or Swiss citizens in the UK.

https://www.ejpd.admin.ch/ejpd/en/home/aktuell/news/2018/2018-12-20.html

I saw :) right, sod y’all! I’m safe!

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Mike,  doesn't mean much.  Down your neck of the woods they even vote for the Liberal's in General Elections.😁

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

wait let me get this right, if you work in swiss for 12 years they pay 10k towards a home purchase?  wow that sounds excellent

Fuck no! :lol: the Swiss giving money away?!

my current personal pension after 12 years is enough for half the deposit on a house (garden not guaranteed). 

Just now, Palfy said:

Roughly how many Francs to the Pound 

At the moment it’s shite, despite Brexit. But it’s a volatile conversion rate and has been for at least 10 years  

GBP/CHF chart from the XE Currency app, https://www.xe.com/chart/?from=GBP&to=CHF

that said, if you want a nice place to retire too and don’t need to worry about access, there’s some stunning chalets available for relative buttons