Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, johnh said:

I thought all the EU member states were supposed to be 'equal'.  Why are two member states signing an agreement which doesn't involve the other 25?

Nothing says you can’t define your own country rules provided you adhere to the general EU regulations 

17 hours ago, holystove said:

Yes like Greece. What's your point?  

Any country can make sovereign choices but it has to stand by the consequences of that choice.  If it so whishes, noone can stop Greece from making the sovereign choice to leave the euro.  

Lets have a look at what Pierre Moscovici (EU Commissioner for Economic ad Financial Affairs) had to say about Greece.  (2017)

'handling of Greece's bailout program was 'a scandal in terms of democratic processes......I am talking about the basic details of the life of a country which were decided in a  body, behind closed doors, whose work is being prepared by technocrats without the minimum control of a parliament'.

Yep!  sounds just like sovereignty to me.

18 minutes ago, johnh said:

Lets have a look at what Pierre Moscovici (EU Commissioner for Economic ad Financial Affairs) had to say about Greece.  (2017)

'handling of Greece's bailout program was 'a scandal in terms of democratic processes......I am talking about the basic details of the life of a country which were decided in a  body, behind closed doors, whose work is being prepared by technocrats without the minimum control of a parliament'.

Yep!  sounds just like sovereignty to me.

The bailout wasn't a sovereign choice, it was a decided necessity. Scandalous as it may have been, it has nothing to do with sovereignty or Greek democracy even

Leaving the Euro would be their sovereign choice, as Bailey pointed out. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Don’t you know you’re not allowed to change your mind? so we can’t change your vote, it’ll bring democracy on the forum to its knees!

I don't recall any vote in our history being re-run because of 'change of mind'.  There was one MP in the last General Election who won by 1 vote (after several recounts).  The vote was accepted by the electorate.  This re-run of voting idea is a brain child of the EU.  There have been several referendums which have gone against the EU and all have been re-run.  Not one of the referendums in favour of the EU have ever been re-run.  We don't want EU 'democracy' anywhere near this forum. 

6 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Good post - I work in aviation and saw this quote and was going to post it but you beat me to it!

Aerospace is one of the few manufacturing industries where the UK (and the US...) still have a leading presence. 

My brother works for Airbus (currently based in Germany but just back from a few months in Singapore) and he said to me a year or more ago that they'd be off. Brexiteers said companies were bluffing but he called it, roughly "you think we're bluffing, fucking watch this".

7 hours ago, johnh said:

I don't recall any vote in our history being re-run because of 'change of mind'.  There was one MP in the last General Election who won by 1 vote (after several recounts).  The vote was accepted by the electorate.  This re-run of voting idea is a brain child of the EU.  There have been several referendums which have gone against the EU and all have been re-run.  Not one of the referendums in favour of the EU have ever been re-run.  We don't want EU 'democracy' anywhere near this forum. 

Strawman, theres no suggestion that there should be a second vote because of a change of mind on Brexit per se, its because there has been a material change in what Brexit means and what the electorate now understand it to mean.

We're 67 pages in, at least represent the arguments correctly :P

13 hours ago, johnh said:

You mean direct democracy? A much more sensible option to what the UK has. 

Im curious, John. Are you happy with the plan?

14 hours ago, johnh said:

This re-run of voting idea is a brain child of the EU.  There have been several referendums which have gone against the EU and all have been re-run.  Not one of the referendums in favour of the EU have ever been re-run.  We don't want EU 'democracy' anywhere near this forum. 

Not really an EU competence that, John, .. forcing countries to organize referendums; let alone "re-run" them.

Is this UK 'democracy'? https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46971390 (Mogg proposes the Queen (!) shuts down Parliament to protect brexit) 😉   .. Though if you brought that to this forum, I don't know who would play the Queen.

8 minutes ago, holystove said:

Not really an EU competence that, John, .. forcing countries to organize referendums; let alone "re-run" them.

Is this UK 'democracy'? https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46971390 (Mogg proposes the Queen (!) shuts down Parliament to protect brexit) 😉   .. Though if you brought that to this forum, I don't know who would play the Queen.

That’s very clearly Louis