Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Anyone else find it amazing that there is such a thing as a no-deal Brexit?

You would think that we could agree on plenty of smaller things around the EU, starting from the base of no deal on trade / back stop etc. It would seem that we have been working from a deal down route rather than a no deal up, when we could have been agreeing tiers of transitional agreements even if the larger problems are still an issue. 

Maybe they have and these will come into play if no-deal does loom and the no-deal aspect only refers to the customs element but it sounds like its all or nothing.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You would think that we could agree on plenty of smaller things around the EU, starting from the base of no deal on trade / back stop etc. It would seem that we have been working from a deal down route rather than a no deal up, when we could have been agreeing tiers of transitional agreements even if the larger problems are still an issue. 

Maybe they have and these will come into play if no-deal does loom and the no-deal aspect only refers to the customs element but it sounds like its all or nothing.

Amazing?! No. Dumbfounding yet completely unsurprising yes.

this is what happens when you’re asked to choose between your current paintjob on your car and an unspecified other, unknown provider of a change; your car gets scrapped 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The EU regards the current deal as the basis for a negotiation.  The current deal settles the citizens rights, the financial settlement and creates a back-stop to protect the Good-Friday-Agreement.  It says nothing binding about whether the UK will end up with a Norway or Canada deal, or indeed no trade deal at all.

The EU will surely attach many, if not all, of what has already been agreed to any mini-deal.   So a "managed" no-deal is an illusion, it is either this deal or no-deal.

The EU has published its no-deal notices recently and it shows a number of unilateral measures they will take to keep what is necessary for the EU in working order for a short periode of time, during which companies and member states can fully adjust to a no-deal reality.

Key word being unilateral.

10 minutes ago, Chach said:

@holystove when its all done and dusted and some semblance of sanity has returned to the region do you think it's likely Brexit will be a net benefit for the rest of the EU, in that they'll be able to achieve things they couldn't with the UK still in there?

Yes that is my hope.  It's why I backed Brexit.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

For the 27, just not for us.

I never backed Brexit wishing the UK harm.  Hope everything works out.

1 hour ago, Chach said:

And the rest of the world who want a solid EU to provide leadership in the void left by Trumpistan.

EU has been trying to set up a common foreign policy for 10 years..   Brexit helps, but countries like Hungary and Poland can still slow things down (be it not as succesfully as the UK).

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

432-202 against May in the "meaningful vote".

What a complete shambles.

Biggest defeat in history. No confidence motion tabled. 

#strongandstable

I am starting to wonder if we should start to call her Agent May, only a spy could create such a shambles. 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Biggest defeat in history. No confidence motion tabled. 

#strongandstable

I am starting to wonder if we should start to call her Agent May, only a spy could create such a shambles. 

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. It's a crazy situation and I've zero idea what's going to happen next, Corbyn/Labour really missing an open goal due to their "sat on the wall" positioning.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. 

I think Labour have cooked it with this strategy, surely a second referendum on the deal  or no deal is the only way forward. Suggesting they can negotiate a better deal is fanciful. 

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. It's a crazy situation and I've zero idea what's going to happen next, Corbyn/Labour really missing an open goal due to their "sat on the wall" positioning.

If she wins it the it shows how shite / corrupt the UKs options 

Meanwhile

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46887188

13 hours ago, Chach said:

I think Labour have cooked it with this strategy, surely a second referendum on the deal  or no deal is the only way forward. Suggesting they can negotiate a better deal is fanciful. 

I can't see another option so back down to village hall soon I hope.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

Just thinking... Does Corbyn have to win? Surely he only needs 1 more Tory MP than the DUP have seats to defect and there’s no majority government, right? And that’s only 10 seats? 

19 short. I wonder if Corbyn stepped down and they put someone more likeable in charge then pushed the vote again if that would change things. 

Sickening that she’s survived this. Just when I had a little faith in the democratic process and MPs, they bandy together because they don’t like the Labour leader :dry:

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

19 short. I wonder if Corbyn stepped down and they put someone more likeable in charge then pushed the vote again if that would change things. 

Sickening that she’s survived this. Just when I had a little faith in the democratic process and MPs, they bandy together because they don’t like the Labour leader :dry:

The DUP all voted for her they didn't want a general election in case they lost their seats who else has sided with her besides her own MPs.