IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t know why people find it hard to understand that if a player is gonna be on the front page of GQ etc then you expect him to be doing superstar things on the field.  If you are on front of magazines and you aren’t performing then it brings pressure, opponents take the piss, pundits pick up and talk about it.

Made up he scored the winner against palace but our club was nearly relegated and a striker who couldn’t get going is acting like David Beckham. 

To be honest Haf, that makes no sense at all. Being on a magazine 100% does not mean you should automatically be top of your game. It just means your a good looking bloke, that’s all.

But again I’m still waiting for RPG to reveal his source. I’ve tried looking and can’t find anything…. So it’s obvious he is ITK. Just waiting for him to reveal our new signings before anyone now.

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Maybe, just maybe, having outside interests helped him with his mental health while being injured for the best part of the season, certainly seems a better option than turning to alcohol, gambling etc.

And there it is! 

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be honest Haf, that makes no sense at all. Being on a magazine 100% does not mean you should automatically be top of your game. It just means your a good looking bloke, that’s all.

But again I’m still waiting for RPG to reveal his source. I’ve tried looking and can’t find anything…. So it’s obvious he is ITK. Just waiting for him to reveal our new signings before anyone now.

Just like being paid a lot of money to play football or having a big transfer fee has any effect on ability to play or be free from depression. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

He’s a fine looking man, that’s not the point.  The point is if he wasn’t a footballer he would not be in GQ, so if he is gonna be in it make sure you are on your game on the pitch otherwise you are gonna look like David Bentley not David Beckham. 

21 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He’s a fine looking man, that’s not the point.  The point is if he wasn’t a footballer he would not be in GQ, so if he is gonna be in it make sure you are on your game on the pitch otherwise you are gonna look like David Bentley not David Beckham. 

But that doesn’t mean because he is in the magazine… that his form should somehow magically be top form. 

And I’m getting tired of asking, but when we’re these pictures taken? People are making out like he missed important training to be there….. yet the club seem ok with him skipping training? It’s almost like he did it out of training time…… 

I understand your frustrations with him, I really do Haf. But that comment just isn't fair, and In no way resembles anything based on fact. Many players have suffered bad form for a myriad of reasons. Many players and people have suffered mental health issues for many reasons…. And still did all they can to put on a face.

Is Tom Davies receiving the same scorn for his out of the box attitude? 
What about Sterling for taking time out to be in adverts? 
What about the hundred other footballers that are in fashion magazines and appearing on TV? 

What makes Dom so different, that doing and having interests outside football… affect him so much?

Surely Messi must also be in a magazine as he has hardly made the PSG team. Can’t be any other reason for his bad form can there?

Spunds like I’m directing all this at you Haf…. I’m not, your just active at the moment haha.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I do agree with Haf on this point though. The higher your public image the better you need to be at your job in order to not attract criticism (whether it be fair or unfair criticism). 

Elon Musk runs the risk (and doesn't care) of attracting more public criticism than other high profile CEOs who are not as media hungry.

not saying Dom is a bad person or made bad choices. Just highlighting how human nature is in our digital era.

2 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

the analysis here is about 1 inch deep but sharing anyway. Doesn't consider who the opponents were for example. However it shows there is not a consistent trend of under performance after a magazine shoot (some have been affected, some haven't)

https://kickoffghana.com/does-appearing-in-gq-impact-footballers-form/?amp=1

That’s a very interesting article and proves both arguments of his extra curricular activities have merit, personally I don’t believe any player who is in the top tier of football should be working outside his contract with his club, most are paid in excess of 5m a year for that privilege everything they have should be given to the club when it comes to work. Yes of course have hobbies in your free time that take you out of the media circus, so you truly relax chill and recharge batteries, but taking paid work with someone else setting the agenda can not be classed purely as a hobby no matter how you dress it up, football isn’t just a game of ability it’s a game that requires immense focus and a clear head. Are we witnessing with DCL that he is unable as some others have been to multi task which is affecting his football unfortunately I think so. 

the analysis here is about 1 inch deep but sharing anyway. Doesn't consider who the opponents were for example. However it shows there is not a consistent trend of under performance after a magazine shoot (some have been affected, some haven't)

https://kickoffghana.com/does-appearing-in-gq-impact-footballers-form/?amp=1

It’s just funny that someone even bothered. But I wish they also did it based on the date of the shoot and not the date of release. That would be interesting. 

I do agree with Haf on this point though. The higher your public image the better you need to be at your job in order to not attract criticism (whether it be fair or unfair criticism). 

Elon Musk runs the risk (and doesn't care) of attracting more public criticism than other high profile CEOs who are not as media hungry.

not saying Dom is a bad person or made bad choices. Just highlighting how human nature is in our digital era.

But Dom only got the higher public image because of his good form. He didn’t attract as much attention until he started scoring goals and then getting England caps.  

Elon Musk got the higher profile as his companies became more successful. 

Shit footballers, and CEOs, don’t get the high profile. No one is putting Jonjoe Kenny on the cover of a magazine. 😂

On 30/05/2022 at 20:29, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

What evidence?

Last season he was in the form of his life whilst on the front cover of GQ

He had an amazing start to the 1st 3rd of that season, was average for the 2nd 3rd and poor for the last 3rd. Just trying to add a bit of balance to his last season as you seem to be saying he was rocking it all season when in fact he wasn’t, the article posted by GG would seem to confirm that, whether or not it was just a coincidence that his form dropped dramatically in February down to his modelling career is obviously up for debate, but sometimes as they say there’s no smoke with out fire. 

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

...taking paid work with someone else setting the agenda can not be classed purely as a hobby no matter how you dress it up...

Get a grip, a "celebrity" of any description who earns more in a week than the GQ editor does in a month ain't going to be bossed around, all will be on his (and his agents) terms. Was a long time ago now but I've done "stuff" with the great and the good (and the not so good), Judi Dench being the highlight; as an agency or a "client" you do everything to keep them onside. They make the rules.

Judi was actually zero maintenance and lovely incidentally, far lesser names were complete pricks.

23 minutes ago, StevO said:

But Dom only got the higher public image because of his good form. He didn’t attract as much attention until he started scoring goals and then getting England caps.  

Elon Musk got the higher profile as his companies became more successful. 

Shit footballers, and CEOs, don’t get the high profile. No one is putting Jonjoe Kenny on the cover of a magazine. 😂

He did your right and Jonjoe didn’t unless he made a German magazine we don’t know about. But the question should be after his football put DCL on the map did his embracement of the modelling career impede his ability as a footballer, I don’t believe it can be completely ruled out of the question. 

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Get a grip, a "celebrity" of any description who earns more in a week than the GQ editor does in a month ain't going to be bossed around, all will be on his (and his agents) terms. Was a long time ago now but I've done "stuff" with the great and the good (and the not so good), Judi Dench being the highlight; as an agency or a "client" you do everything to keep them onside. They make the rules.

Judi was actually zero maintenance and lovely incidentally, far lesser names were complete pricks.

The magazines decide when they are going to publish the photos not the model, and that was the same for DCL they paid him so they called the shots on that and it’s said they published them when it didn’t ideally suit him but gave them greater exposure. 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

But that doesn’t mean because he is in the magazine… that his form should somehow magically be top form. 

And I’m getting tired of asking, but when we’re these pictures taken? People are making out like he missed important training to be there….. yet the club seem ok with him skipping training? It’s almost like he did it out of training time…… 

I understand your frustrations with him, I really do Haf. But that comment just isn't fair, and In no way resembles anything based on fact. Many players have suffered bad form for a myriad of reasons. Many players and people have suffered mental health issues for many reasons…. And still did all they can to put on a face.

Is Tom Davies receiving the same scorn for his out of the box attitude? 
What about Sterling for taking time out to be in adverts? 
What about the hundred other footballers that are in fashion magazines and appearing on TV? 

What makes Dom so different, that doing and having interests outside football… affect him so much?

Surely Messi must also be in a magazine as he has hardly made the PSG team. Can’t be any other reason for his bad form can there?

Spunds like I’m directing all this at you Haf…. I’m not, your just active at the moment haha.

It’s not about when the pictures were taken, it’s irrelevant. It’s the fact that he’s being marketed as a model footballer, it brings a different spotlight to them.  There is an extra pressure to perform and more ridicule when you don’t.

15 hours ago, RPG said:

First, I disagree with your premise.

Second, the fact remains that if DCL had not signed up (for money) to parade his handbag and skirt/skort in public, that this conversation would not ever have happened. You are putting the cart before the horse in your logic I think Mike.

I think your trying force your views on what's acceptable on another person. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

I think your trying force your views on what's acceptable on another person. 

He’s not he’s disagreeing. It’s just that you disagree with him, that’s fine. 

Plus let’s stop trying to make this a gender/sexuality thing… it’s fine to disagree with dcl seemingly being a public figure of divisive dressing without it being for bigoted reasons. If there are bigoted reasons then it’s unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

He’s not he’s disagreeing. It’s just that you disagree with him, that’s fine. 

Plus let’s stop trying to make this a gender/sexuality thing… it’s fine to disagree with dcl seemingly being a public figure of divisive dressing without it being for bigoted reasons. If there are bigoted reasons then it’s unacceptable. 

It's easy to say "it's not about gender/sexuality" when I'm sure that a large percentage of the people who are giving him flack have an unconscious bias towards how he dressed specifically.

Not saying that's you or RPG (but also not not saying that haha), but I do think Dom has received extra vitriol because he is a black male athlete who has said fuck it to gender norms, and I think that's rubbed some people the wrong way.

Whether they consciously realize it or not.

Of course it is. Who would use that as a reason for his bad form and not use the same reasoning for Liverpool and City players who have just won trophy’s if it wasn’t down to their own distaste?

And as above someone even wrote an article on the published pictures and his form. Like Dom must have had the pictures taken on the way to the game hahaha!

Bloody hell my posts are getting just as ridiculous as the rest of this thread now haha. Going to leave it there I think now. Got a Monkey pox conspiracy thread to go and join!

1 hour ago, RPG said:

I am only concerned about Everton. The general thrust of my argument is valid across the board but as I only care about Everton, that is where my comments will remain. I could counter some of the pc comments in previous posts by saying that some people appear to be trying to weaponise (and therefore, abuse) the concept of political correctness in order to force their opinions onto others. Not having it.

Your comments are not valid, they are just opinions and are neither right nor wrong.

Don't try to tell me they are valid as they are only valid in your own mind. I’m also… not having it.

In the interests of moving on.

Dom hasn’t had the best of seasons. I’ll don’t think he has been or Edwardian when on the pitch, but I do think his form hasn’t been close to what it was last season.

His last couple of matches were much improved. The last being markedly different.

So question is: 

What would we let him go for?

Do we do everything to keep him?

31 minutes ago, Shukes said:

So question is: 

What would we let him go for?

Do we do everything to keep him?

£100m he’s the best aerial forward in the PL, and VVG at holding up play and bringing others in, he even wins his own knock ons at times ! Carlo had him as a fox in the 6 yd box, and takes a decent pen ( Brighton not included, his first game back though )

I want to keep him, but as we’re strapped by FFP, getting £100m for him would allow some significant building of the squad which we do need.

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's easy to say "it's not about gender/sexuality" when I'm sure that a large percentage of the people who are giving him flack have an unconscious bias towards how he dressed specifically.

Not saying that's you or RPG (but also not not saying that haha), but I do think Dom has received extra vitriol because he is a black male athlete who has said fuck it to gender norms, and I think that's rubbed some people the wrong way.

Whether they consciously realize it or not.

Fans took the absolute piss out of hoddle and waddle for diamond lights, Barry venison was the figure of ridicule for his awful suits. This wasn’t because of some bigoted views. 

you think dom gets this cos he is black?  Nonsense.  David James modelled for Armani and got no stick at all cos it was decent stuff,  apart from his team mates wearing white suits in the cup final.