IGNORED

January 2017

Romey 1878

exactly, StevO said the same thing. no striker wants to sign for us to sit on the bench behind lukaku, not anyone of real quality anyways. Valencia is fine, Kone is 3rd. We have mirallas barkley lookman lennon Calvert Lewin Dowell who can all play those 2 ACM roles in the 343. we are fine.

That's a prospect I hope I never have to witness Valencia or kone as main line of attack, try telling the likes of Sunderland that getting 3 or more injuries at the same time first team players doesn't happen.

I don't think anyone expected us to get top 4 this year? Most didn't expect us to be top 8 never mind top 4!!!

It's a shame you feel this way. Because it is clear what the plan is, for me.

We have to trust that Koeman, having worked with these players just about every day for 6 months, decided we could risk losing some and we'd have enough around Finch Farm to fill any necessary gaps.

I am not expecting top 4 but I expect us to try and push for it next season and the next 16 games with the player here would have helped for next season. Team already used to playing together.

I feel not getting the players (or at least a few of them) in January has made next season impossible because we will need first half season for team to gel.

I am not expecting top 4 but I expect us to try and push for it next season and the next 16 games with the player here would have helped for next season. Team already used to playing together.

I feel not getting the players (or at least a few of them) in January has made next season impossible because we will need first half season for team to gel.

If we can somehow get three points tonight I really wouldn't put a push for the top four beyond us, teams above us are stalling and although we have a big gap to make up another few wins and we're breathing down their necks. I want the press to be talking about "the big seven" rather than six in a month's time.

Ever the optimist, until we lose tonight :unsure:.

Wouldn't it be rough for any team to lose their top striker? Before Koeman it would have been Kone filling in and now we have Valencia. I call that improvement. (So not sure about the weak as ever comment)

Furthermore, what striker made a January move in the epl that you would have had? Not seeing any pieces of good business there. As I mentioned before, decent January window and now looking forward to the summer to address the cover up top. (ie Valencia is only on loan)

More to the point, now we have Lookman.

So many people asking who we would have had that moved.

It's not about buying other teams targets, it should be about chasing our own targets, regardless of if they are touting for a move.

We at not professional scouts, but my limited intellegence tells me that there are hundreds of hidden gems out there.

I don't want our club to be as narrow minded as us fans, I want them to be professional and earn a wage. If your a scout,... then scout.

Fact remains we are short on staff in certain positions. We were before the window and we are now. I just hope and pray that our forward line stays healthy. And also that maybe DCL can get fit and help out.

The difficulty in January isn't only locating the best targets. I'm quite sure we've located players we would like to have here. The difficult part is finding the combination of a player we like and a club willing to sell mid-season. We didn't let our best performers go in the middle of the season. Why would we do that? Why would any club either pushing for a spot high in the table or in fear of relegation let their best players go right in the heat of things? Good January buys (from what I've seen) come from a handful of situations: The player is surplus to requirements or desperately wants away. The selling club isn't likely to suffer without the player. The selling club isn't in contention for big rewards or at the risk of big losses in their league. The selling club is skint and has needs at other positions. Or, the selling club is skint or of a lower division and is always willing to accept good money for a player while they have them.

In other words, there are a multitude of factors (most of which are on the side of the potential selling club) that make January a difficult window to secure signings even if you have targets. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get nothing. And sometimes you pay way over the odds because you're in need.

I'm happy that we had a conservative January in terms of spending, even though the squad has been left a bit thin. Hopefully, this means that we can worry more about securing signatures in the summer and less about offloading the contracts of surplus players.

The difficulty in January isn't only locating the best targets. I'm quite sure we've located players we would like to have here. The difficult part is finding the combination of a player we like and a club willing to sell mid-season. We didn't let our best performers go in the middle of the season. Why would we do that? Why would any club either pushing for a spot high in the table or in fear of relegation let their best players go right in the heat of things? Good January buys (from what I've seen) come from a handful of situations: The player is surplus to requirements or desperately wants away. The selling club isn't likely to suffer without the player. The selling club isn't in contention for big rewards or at the risk of big losses in their league. The selling club is skint and has needs at other positions. Or, the selling club is skint or of a lower division and is always willing to accept good money for a player while they have them.

In other words, there are a multitude of factors (most of which are on the side of the potential selling club) that make January a difficult window to secure signings even if you have targets. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get nothing. And sometimes you pay way over the odds because you're in need.

I'm happy that we had a conservative January in terms of spending, even though the squad has been left a bit thin. Hopefully, this means that we can worry more about securing signatures in the summer and less about offloading the contracts of surplus players.

great post, I agree wholeheartedly. Walsh and Koeman have rid the squad of surplus and this summer will work to stock it with players/talent that Koeman wants to work with. I also expect our key players to continue to have contracts extended and stay long term. No more sell to buy.

Great post mate.

Just to clarify though.

I wasn't thinking that we should sign anyone for the sake of more bodies. I would much rather us go after our chosen targets and sign them in the summer if needed.

My post was just a reply to the other end of the scale. Posts that suggest, because no one moved that we would like in our team....then they weren't available.

This isn't the case, and never is. Every player is available.

If we offered 1bn for Messi, and 1m a week in wages... then I'm sure we would be at a table with Barca.