IGNORED

January 2017

Romey 1878

Disappointed to have not got one decent signing in on the day, but its been generally quiet anyway I think.

Our best business, without doubt, has been getting rid of the dead wood. Never thought it would happen, but suggests that there is a proper strategy behind what we're doing.... I hope!

Only 16 league games left to go at. No cups. No other distractions.

So maybe Koeman just feels there was a good opportunity to clear unwanted players to desperate teams and if need be, we have enough in the U23's, who let's not forget are doing brill in a tough PL2, to see us through to the end if the summer.

Who knows.

Would have ideally liked another one or 2 peeps in but it's been a good window.

This time last year we panic signed a £14m striker... that one didn't really work out!

I'm all for 'if the right players aren't available we'll stick with what we've got and blood youngsters'.

Players like Garbutt, Pennington, Robinson (highly regarded US full back), Walsh, Dowell and Duffus are now 1st team squad players. I'm all for blooding a few of these rather than some of the average players we've let go. These lads are used to winning - there's only one way to find out if they can make that step up.

One thing's for sure, we're clear now for a busy summer of recruitment - all very exciting and positive in my opinion.

still going

Everton youngster Steven Kinsella has joined Dundalk on loan until the end of the League of Ireland season.

The 18-year-old winger, a Republic of Ireland youth international, spent the second half of 2016 on loan at Saint Patrick's Athletic where he made 10 league appearances.

He joined the Blues from Templeogue United - the club which also produced former defender Richard Dunne - in the summer of 2014.

SKY

I wonder if the reaction to this window would've been quite so calm by the majority of us if it was still Kenwright running the show... I suspect not.

Tough to say.

Most seem excited by the fact we've let a load of unwanted players go whilst not being overly bothered about numbers coming in.

I'm not sure we've been in this quite unique position before? So how do we compare?

Edited by Newty82

I know Koeman said Galloway would stay but with WBA close to signing Wilson (a centre back who Pulis will play left back) I do wonder if his loan will be cut short. He may as well sit on our bench rather than their bench.

I just saw that on SSN and wondered the same thing. If Pulis isn't giving Galloway game time and we've been trying to get him back, this points to Pulis bringing in someone he trusts to play that position and sending Galloway back to us. Probably in exchange for a refund on the loan fee they paid,

If so, I feel a lot happier about the depth in the squad as we know Galloway is a useful player who can cover for Baines and would probably benefit from working under Koeman for the rest of the season.

if Morishi and Koeman weren't here, we wouldn't have let them all go, so I doubt it. Pointless comparison to behonest

I'm not being totally literal. It's more a comment on the attitude and perception of our fans. Kenwright is a prick, so he'd have got abuse. Moshiri is seen as a saviour, so it's all rosey.

You know it, Matt.

I find it strange that if we weren't getting someone else in then why did we let Gerry leave. Can cover all the forward positions too, unlike someone like Lennon.

It's almost guaranteed that Lukaku gets injured against Stoke.

Lookman really does look the real deal! I think a lot of people will be surprised how quickly he settles in.

Check out the Everton site.... shows lookman doing finishing training.... awesome. Two footed.

Yep, seeing that today makes me more comfortable about our options up front. He's a very tidy finisher with great feet. No wonder we refused to let him go back on loan and wanted him here straightaway.

Lookman really does look the real deal! I think a lot of people will be surprised how quickly he settles in.

Definitely I really like the look of him, but he is young, inexperienced and we don't want to put too much pressure on him. It's OK bringing him on like we have in the last couple of games at the end of a rout and against a relegation side but expecting him to win us a game against Chelsea/Liverpool etc is a bit much.

A forward would be nice, but I've said before that it's tough signing a forward while we have Lukaku. No striker better than Lukaku will sign for us, any striker worse than him will know they won't play so will they be interested in coming here to sit on the bench?

I would have liked Hogan from Brentford, he might have fancied the chance, looks like he has a bit of quality but understand he wont play every week. We'll see in the coming months if anyone can step up.

I saw a perfect tweet last night after the window shut and it pretty much sums up that window:

"Imagine we got rid of the shite at the beginning of the window and signed Schneiderlan and Lookman at the end, people wouldn't complain then would they"

I honestly think people want signings for the sake of it sometimes, I'd rather wait for the right targets in the summer than signing a player who will do a mediocre job. As much as I love our players now I'd rather we sign a player who is better than them, no room for sentiment when you want to win.

This window we wanted a striker but seriously take a look with what strikers was available, teams don't want to sell their bets players in Jan, especially the type we would be after. Have patience lads, the reconstruction is well underway and come summer (when we hopefully can offer European football which is a major pull) then we will get the right bodies in.

Other than the fact I'm not complaining, I agree. I'm just worried we could be left a bit short if injuries hit.

I do agree we could be left short but would you rather play the shite we just got rid of or give one of our younger lads who have impressed everyone in the u23's a go for a few games. Geri and Oviedo the exceptions I'd say, but the rest I'd much rather use our youth.

I can not believe so many are satisfied with that transfer window.

How have we again not got a attacking midfielder or striker. So are we no longer trying to get into the top 4 this year? Are we not getting players in so they have 16 games to settle in ready to start of well next season?

Strengthen our strongest position (DM), weakened our weakest positions (Full Backs, Wingers), kept one striker.

Edited by markiediow