IGNORED

January 2017

Romey 1878

I can not believe so many are satisfied with that transfer window.

How have we again not got a attacking midfielder or striker. So are we no longer trying to get into the top 4 this year? Are we not getting players in so they have 16 games to settle in ready to start of well next season?

Strengthen our strongest position (DM), weakened our weakest positions (Full Backs, Wingers), kept one striker.

out of curiosity, what players did you expect us to sign for these positions?

I do agree we could be left short but would you rather play the shite we just got rid of or give one of our younger lads who have impressed everyone in the u23's a go for a few games. Geri and Oviedo the exceptions I'd say, but the rest I'd much rather use our youth.

I've already said plenty of times how pleased I am with who has come in and who has left.

out of curiosity, what players did you expect us to sign for these positions?

I'm not the scout, people are being paid to find these players we obviously need. I can not believe Walsh and Koeman have not seen these positions need filling (or need cover in) and have not found the right players. It was obvious we wanted a striker and once Belfodil was cancelled, it did not look like there was a plan b (as usual). Koeman also said we need cover for Bolasie, and we ended up loaning out delboy.

We have won a couple of games we should have won against lesser teams, and now everyone happy with the virtually same squad which has been dire most of the season

Hopefully I am jumping the gun and we have lined up players. Maybe Emerson is coming once turns 18 next month. Maybe Ghazzel is going to sign a pre-contract to come on a free in Summer. Maybe a deal for Keane has been setup for the Summer. I doubt it.

Edited by markiediow

I saw a perfect tweet last night after the window shut and it pretty much sums up that window:

"Imagine we got rid of the shite at the beginning of the window and signed Schneiderlan and Lookman at the end, people wouldn't complain then would they"

I honestly think people want signings for the sake of it sometimes, I'd rather wait for the right targets in the summer than signing a player who will do a mediocre job. As much as I love our players now I'd rather we sign a player who is better than them, no room for sentiment when you want to win.

This window we wanted a striker but seriously take a look with what strikers was available, teams don't want to sell their bets players in Jan, especially the type we would be after. Have patience lads, the reconstruction is well underway and come summer (when we hopefully can offer European football which is a major pull) then we will get the right bodies in.

this for me. got rid of dead wood, signed 2 quality first teamers in schneiderlin and lookman, and loaned out a ton a youngsters. here's our depth after the window

robles stek

baines garbutt

mori jags

Williams Holgate

coleman Holgate

barry schneiderlin

gana davies besic

barkley lookman

mirallas lennon

lukaku Valencia kone

we've got at least 2 men at every position. I think we'll be fine on the squad.

Very happy with Schneiderlin and Lookman coming in, just as pleased with the clear out. My one concern is defence - 6 in the first team squad, including Pennington. Very surprised Browning was allowed out on loan, and that both Galloway and Connolly have been left out. Guess we can recall them if we get injuries tho.

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call Lookman a first teamers yet, he has done well in his cameos but it's a lot to ask from him. Koeman wasn't expecting him to be ready either when he joined.

When you think of it like that we signed 1 genuine first teamers but in the same breath only lost 2 or 3 (Oviedo, Cleverley and Geri).

I can see the positives of this window though as next summer we have a blank canvas(ish), like Koeman had at Soton. As long as the overhaul doesn't effect our short term goal of getting into Europe then long term it can only be a positive.

IN: Lookman, Schneiderlin

OUT: Oviedo, Gibson

LOAN IN:

LOAN OUT: Brewster, Grant, Cleverley, Niasse, Connolly, Jones, Evans, Deulofeu, Griffiths, Browning, McAleny, Rodriguez, Dyson, Kinsella

KIDS: Holland (out) Donkor (Loan In)

EXTENSIONS (since August): Kenny, Baines, Barry, Holgate, Browning

They would never admit to it but this year the goal for Moshiri and RK was top half. It's that simple. They've done that (more or less) so clear out those with no future and trim the wage bill. If they have no future at the club I would argue they shouldn't have a present either. I truly believe both said why try to rush progress to make Europa in year 1, our goal is Champions League year 2. What can we do to make that happen?

It's so easy to sit here and say why didn't we buy X, Y, or Z? The simple fact is good players, the right players are rarely for sale in January. Signing Schneiderlin is one of the best signings made in the window throughout the world let alone the PL.

We aren't far away!

Coleman Williams Baines Gana Schneiderlin Barkley Bolasie Lukaku all good enough to challenge for Champs League. Need starting GK, CB, W. Cover at LB, W, AM, ST. I have confidence in Walsh and RK to meet these needs this summer.

Talk about a dream come true for this guy...

"The top six sides did not shell out - the only new purchase among the leading sides being Arsenal's surprise signing of left-back Cohen Bramall from non-league Hednesford Town for £40,000. He had just been made redundant from his job in a car factory before a trial with the Gunners."

IN: Lookman, Schneiderlin

OUT: Oviedo, Gibson

LOAN IN:

LOAN OUT: Brewster, Grant, Cleverley, Niasse, Connolly, Jones, Evans, Deulofeu, Griffiths, Browning, McAleny, Rodriguez, Dyson, Kinsella

KIDS: Holland (out) Donkor (Loan In)

EXTENSIONS (since August): Kenny, Baines, Barry, Holgate, Browning

They would never admit to it but this year the goal for Moshiri and RK was top half. It's that simple. They've done that (more or less) so clear out those with no future and trim the wage bill. If they have no future at the club I would argue they shouldn't have a present either. I truly believe both said why try to rush progress to make Europa in year 1, our goal is Champions League year 2. What can we do to make that happen?

It's so easy to sit here and say why didn't we buy X, Y, or Z? The simple fact is good players, the right players are rarely for sale in January. Signing Schneiderlin is one of the best signings made in the window throughout the world let alone the PL.

We aren't far away!

Coleman Williams Baines Gana Schneiderlin Barkley Bolasie Lukaku all good enough to challenge for Champs League. Need starting GK, CB, W. Cover at LB, W, AM, ST. I have confidence in Walsh and RK to meet these needs this summer.

Not sure how you can say this. He played for mid-table Southampton before sitting for months on the bench at United. He's played just a few minutes on the field for us and didn't really make an impact. Yes, of course I'm hopeful based on all the hype, but it's hyperbole to suggest he's one of the best signings made throughout the world.

I can not believe so many are satisfied with that transfer window.

How have we again not got a attacking midfielder or striker. So are we no longer trying to get into the top 4 this year? Are we not getting players in so they have 16 games to settle in ready to start of well next season?

Strengthen our strongest position (DM), weakened our weakest positions (Full Backs, Wingers), kept one striker.

I don't think anyone expected us to get top 4 this year? Most didn't expect us to be top 8 never mind top 4!!!

It's a shame you feel this way. Because it is clear what the plan is, for me.

We have to trust that Koeman, having worked with these players just about every day for 6 months, decided we could risk losing some and we'd have enough around Finch Farm to fill any necessary gaps.

Not sure how you can say this. He played for mid-table Southampton before sitting for months on the bench at United. He's played just a few minutes on the field for us and didn't really make an impact. Yes, of course I'm hopeful based on all the hype, but it's hyperbole to suggest he's one of the best signings made throughout the world.

So what signings made in the January window throughout the world do you think eclipse it?

I'm being cheeky, be interesting to know though.

this for me. got rid of dead wood, signed 2 quality first teamers in schneiderlin and lookman, and loaned out a ton a youngsters. here's our depth after the window

robles stek

baines garbutt

mori jags

Williams Holgate

coleman Holgate

barry schneiderlin

gana davies besic

barkley lookman

mirallas lennon

lukaku Valencia kone

we've got at least 2 men at every position. I think we'll be fine on the squad.

Got McCarthy as well.

He's played in the rightback/wing back role before and looked like he can do a job if need be.

"The top six sides did not shell out - the only new purchase among the leading sides being Arsenal's surprise signing of left-back Cohen Bramall from non-league Hednesford Town for £40,000. He had just been made redundant from his job in a car factory before a trial with the Gunners."

My mate Tomasz worked with him (he was at Bentley but got fired just before Christmas) and played footy with him a fair bit. A lot of ex-crewe players (retired professionals) now work at Bentley and T said, when they played inter-department football (standard was good considering), Cohen was head and shoulders about everyone. He recalls his department getting beat 7-2 once, that kid provided 6 assists and scored. Left back.

go to espnfc.com the front page is a picture of Koeman and Schneiderlin with a report of how every team did in the transfer window. you don't make front page for nothing steve. he's a big signing similar to Lukaku just in his prime not a young gun. France International. with soton he was arguably the best DCM in the league, united he was quality under van gaal, not his problem mou is an idiot.

Edited by markjazzbassist

It's a lot to pay for a club mechanic though.

go to espnfc.com the front page is a picture of Koeman and Schneiderlin with a report of how every team did in the transfer window. you don't make front page for nothing steve. he's a big signing similar to Lukaku just in his prime not a young gun. France International. with soton he was arguably the best DCM in the league, united he was quality under van gaal, not his problem mou is an idiot.

They most likely used his picture because he was the most expensive signing in the Prem. You could argue that this makes him the best signing of the window, but time will tell. Again, I don't mean to sound negative, just not hyperbolically jubilant.

My mate Tomasz worked with him (he was at Bentley but got fired just before Christmas) and played footy with him a fair bit. A lot of ex-crewe players (retired professionals) now work at Bentley and T said, when they played inter-department football (standard was good considering), Cohen was head and shoulders about everyone. He recalls his department getting beat 7-2 once, that kid provided 6 assists and scored. Left back.

Arsenal have a record of doing this. Jenkinson is another example.

I saw a perfect tweet last night after the window shut and it pretty much sums up that window:

"Imagine we got rid of the shite at the beginning of the window and signed Schneiderlan and Lookman at the end, people wouldn't complain then would they"

I honestly think people want signings for the sake of it sometimes, I'd rather wait for the right targets in the summer than signing a player who will do a mediocre job. As much as I love our players now I'd rather we sign a player who is better than them, no room for sentiment when you want to win.

This window we wanted a striker but seriously take a look with what strikers was available, teams don't want to sell their bets players in Jan, especially the type we would be after. Have patience lads, the reconstruction is well underway and come summer (when we hopefully can offer European football which is a major pull) then we will get the right bodies in.

This exactly. Lots of twitter chatter about people's dream window with 4-5 signings but compared to other teams we had one of the best windows this january. How many times has that been fact of the last couple of years. Heading the right direction. Stoked to see how Koeman & Walsh's plans play out in the future/summer.

Edited by plaidharper

It's fair to say that we're one or two injuries away from a potential crisis, but this is probably the season to take that risk. The worst that can happen is that some youngsters get thrown in the deep end.

We are an injury away to Lukaku, Mirallas & Barkley to it being a crisis!

Basically though it's an injury to Lukaku. If he gets injured we're going to struggle. If Mirallas gets injured as well even more so. We are weak as ever upfront!

Wouldn't it be rough for any team to lose their top striker? Before Koeman it would have been Kone filling in and now we have Valencia. I call that improvement. (So not sure about the weak as ever comment)

Furthermore, what striker made a January move in the epl that you would have had? Not seeing any pieces of good business there. As I mentioned before, decent January window and now looking forward to the summer to address the cover up top. (ie Valencia is only on loan)

Wouldn't it be rough for any team to lose their top striker? Before Koeman it would have been Kone filling in and now we have Valencia. I call that improvement. (So not sure about the weak as ever comment)

Furthermore, what striker made a January move in the epl that you would have had? Not seeing any pieces of good business there. As I mentioned before, decent January window and now looking forward to the summer to address the cover up top. (ie Valencia is only on loan)

exactly, StevO said the same thing. no striker wants to sign for us to sit on the bench behind lukaku, not anyone of real quality anyways. Valencia is fine, Kone is 3rd. We have mirallas barkley lookman lennon Calvert Lewin Dowell who can all play those 2 ACM roles in the 343. we are fine.