IGNORED

Virgil van Dijk

Although I understand that logic, until we make a big purchase like this no ones going to take what we are doing seriously. We need that big statement of intent that turns the heads of those players who are champions league quality in teams not in the champs league.

Although I understand that logic, until we make a big purchase like this no ones going to take what we are doing seriously. We need that big statement of intent that turns the heads of those players who are champions league quality in teams not in the champs league.

spurs didn't do that and potch has them rolling, in fact dier and alderwiereld were considered cheap buys since alderwiereld didn't light the league up with soton and dier was coming from Portugal. look how good both of them turned out.

spurs didn't do that and potch has them rolling, in fact dier and alderwiereld were considered cheap buys since alderwiereld didn't light the league up with soton and dier was coming from Portugal. look how good both of them turned out.

Spurs are also in London which is a massive plus. We've made good signings like that, but could we attract Lloris or eriksen.

Before his time that was villas boas with the bale money. He bought Eriksen lamela lloris. Potch didn't buy anyone his first year said I'll make due and then got the 2 I mentioned the next year.

I get your point pal, but in my opinion they turned heads the season they kept modric and signed van der vaart. That's a signal of intent in my opinion regardless of how he turned out. They then sold Modric and bale and replaced them reasonably well.

My point is we need to show players of that calibre we are serious, keeping and signing lukaku says that ( regardless of opinions on here, his reputation be it right or wrong gets attention ) and then a quality signing. That signing will be money based because unlike Spurs we don't/arnt/haven't ;

Finished our previous seasons creditably

Based in London

European football on offer

As much as I like Ben Gibson and Michael Keane, are they anywhere near Van Dijk in terms of playing ability? No is the simple answer. Why buy two lesser players when you can buy the finished, and classy article.

About £30 million pounds difference in cost is why.

Edited by London Blue

About £30 million pounds difference in cost is why.

So lets say Van Dijk is £50m (which I doubt will be the price), you honestly expect to get Keane and Gibson for £20m? both English internationals, that adds a premium to their price. If we have the money to spend then why spend it on, albeit decent enough players, when you can spend it on quality, on players which improve the team 10 fold?

Van dijk is in the barca, city, chelsea and real price range now....

If he is worth that much then they will buy him.

It's the same scenario as lukaku. A big price... will a big side pull the trigger or will they go for the boys who have proven it at the big sides already?

Van dick is 20m overpriced and that's being generous. If he was proven at a champions league club then fair enough.

Look at lovren.... looked a rolls Royce at Southampton but shit it at Liverpool and is only just now being half decent at best.

Edited by Hafnia

If Stones was £50 million then Van Dijk will not be far off that.

I imagine Keane and Gibson will each cost between £20 to £25 million.

I would love Van Dijk here but even with our new found wealth he will go to a Champs League club.

have to agree and agree we should be aiming higher than Keane and Gibson aswell.

Still not moved, so much for hot property, or perhaps the window will see business done late as usual. I don't expect us to sign VVD, we were put off by the Kone fee and deal only 6 months ago.

and you know the ins and outs of Southampton do you? Southampton for all we know may of received a bid but want to stall it till they have played their semi final matches against Liverpool. Or maybe Southampton aren't entertaining offers for him due to the likelihood of Fonte moving this month.

I don't expect anyone, never mind us, sign VVD until the summer. Southampton wont want to lose two of their top defenders in Jan.

Just been told that bookies apparently slashed odds on this as large bets have come in ( close together ). Not sure on the truth to it but I'll try find a link or something.

Edit : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/577963/Virgil-van-Dijk-Everton-Southampton

Sounds to me like they are fishing for bets..

Edited by Btay

Just been told that bookies apparently slashed odds on this as large bets have come in ( close together ). Not sure on the truth to it but I'll try find a link or something.

Edit : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/577963/Virgil-van-Dijk-Everton-Southampton

Sounds to me like they are fishing for bets..

Spot on, without being disrespectful to our club, he's better than Everton, imo hes Madrid class, Pepe is apparently off in the summer on a free so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go in for him.