IGNORED

Virgil van Dijk

• 3 weeks later...

John stones.... there's another in front of ya. If kompany gets fit then he can say bye to the starting spot.

Agreed although i think Kompany is done now. I think he will retire this season.

John Stones will be a bench warmer next year. Too many mistakes in his game to be at a top club pushing for titles.

Van Dijk would be perfect for us, im holding out a little hope that Koemans relationship with him may sway him to come here.

Agreed although i think Kompany is done now. I think he will retire this season.

John Stones will be a bench warmer next year. Too many mistakes in his game to be at a top club pushing for titles.

Van Dijk would be perfect for us, im holding out a little hope that Koemans relationship with him may sway him to come here.

Unlikely he would choose us over the big guns if they're interested, but quietly hopeful.

Why didn't we make a concerted effort to sign him in the summer if him and koeman have a good relationship, I don't even think we made an approach for him, instead we sign Williams, something doesn't seem right to me.

I'd guess we had an agreement not to go for any of their players. Fonte would have been Williams equivalent.

The going rate in the paper was a £10m fee, Southampton got him for £13m do you think if we had gone to £13m that he would have chosen Saints.?

We needed him at the time because Stones had asked for a transfer, but in the end he got talked out of it because we didn't have enough centre halfs, but then he went the following year.

We are crap at transfers, we always leave it so late that all we can get in the final day are the dregs at the bottom of the barrel that nobody else wanted.

Edited by Bill

The going rate in the paper was a £10 fee, Southampton got him for £13m do you think if we had gone to £13 that he would have chosen Saints?

On the basis that they were in Europe and had his fellow countryman/ probably one of his childhood heroes as manager then yes he probably did choose them over us.

Your assuming that we met the transfer fee, if we did I'm sure we pay higher wages to the players than Saints.

The reason he went to Saints is because either we didn't meet the transfer fee or didn't go in for him at all.

I'm not assuming anything just stating that maybe Dutchman Virgil van Dijk saw Europa League qualifiers Southampton managed by one of his nation's footballing heroes as a better option than Everton who had just finished 11th and were adamant that his then direct competition for the centre back role, John Stones, wasn't for sale.

We missed our chance not signing him when he left Celtic, monumental balls up.

Highly doubt we're in with a chance with the like of City and Chelsea now paying him some attention.

Have to agree as strong as his relationship with Koeman is doubt that will be enough.