IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Also Mike do you think the Union with Scotland is worth fighting for when it’s clear they want their independence, and if so on what grounds. 

No opinion on that, I'm with the 34% who said it's for the people of those places to decide. I'm actually gentically more Scottish than English though, only 18% of my DNA ethnicity is English. I'm seriously considering moving north of the border in the not too distant future, whether it's still part of the UK by then is out of my hands.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

No opinion on that, I'm with the 34% who said it's for the people of those places to decide. I'm actually gentically more Scottish than English though, only 18% of my DNA ethnicity is English. I'm seriously considering moving north of the border in the not too distant future, whether it's still part of the UK by then is out of my hands.

I think we might seriously consider it too, just because I’ll need my mountain fix and I want Eleanor to continue to be bi-lingual :D 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

That will be nice fingers crossed for you if that’s what you want to do, I’m in the process of having a place built in Spain which I’m going to struggle to enjoy due to the Brexit deal being a complete farce, I’m gutted I’ve made a substantial investment in my retirement plans that’s gone Pete Tong. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

That will be nice fingers crossed for you if that’s what you want to do, I’m in the process of having a place built in Spain which I’m going to struggle to enjoy due to the Brexit deal being a complete farce, I’m gutted I’ve made a substantial investment in my retirement plans that’s gone Pete Tong. 

We always intended on retiring to Greece, looked at building plots and houses and did the sums and it was very doable; don't want to do it on my own though, 'specially not with the added complication of my new medical needs. 

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We always intended on retiring to Greece, looked at building plots and houses and did the sums and it was very doable; don't want to do it on my own though, 'specially not with the added complication of my new medical needs. 

I think Scotland would be a much safer bet when it comes to your health requirements mate, but the sun sea food and pace of life won’t be same. 
Do you think you’re ever go back to Greece for holidays when the time is right health wise and Covid allowable. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

where in spain if you don't mind me asking?

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Do you think you’re ever go back to Greece for holidays when the time is right health wise and Covid allowable. 

I have flights and three weeks accommodation booked for September mate, it was actually booked at the back end of 2019 for September last year but obviously not able to go because of the virus, and I was in hospital then anyway. I certainly plan to go if it's allowed by then, insurance will be an arm and a leg but what the hell.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I have flights and three weeks accommodation booked for September mate, it was actually booked at the back end of 2019 for September last year but obviously not able to go because of the virus, and I was in hospital then anyway. I certainly plan to go if it's allowed by then, insurance will be an arm and a leg but what the hell.

We should god willing be in a better place by then. 

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

where in spain if you don't mind me asking?

I sold my place a while back in Costa Blanca and bought a plot of land in a place near Mojaca in Almeneria, the builder has started should be complete by September/October, originally planned to spend 50% of my time there and same back here, but the rules for British in the EU have dramatically changed for the amount of time we can spend in the EU at anyone time and every 6 month’s, unless you take up residency in one of the EU countries then you have no restrictions when you can come and go. Just feels a bit shit at the moment so many plans now up in the air, we’ve toyed with finishing the build and selling it straight away and cutting our losses. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I sold my place a while back in Costa Blanca and bought a plot of land in a place near Mojaca in Almeneria, the builder has started should be complete by September/October, originally planned to spend 50% of my time there and same back here, but the rules for British in the EU have dramatically changed for the amount of time we can spend in the EU at anyone time and every 6 month’s, unless you take up residency in one of the EU countries then you have no restrictions when you can come and go. Just feels a bit shit at the moment so many plans now up in the air, we’ve toyed with finishing the build and selling it straight away and cutting our losses. 

once you have property in spain can you get a spanish passport?  could make it easier to travel.  might have to pay a bit but could be worth it.

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We had a place near Mazarrón about sixty miles up the coast from Mojácar a few years back, was a stunning apartment but just never "got" Spain at all. Been many times to many places over the years but it's not for me, enjoyed Madrid but not a holiday destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunak is to pay for the cost of COVID-19 bail outs through higher taxes for businesses, personal pensions, private landlords and the self employed, all of which will impact me. Now I haven’t got a problem with that the money has to be raised and those who are best placed to pay more should, and those who aren’t shouldn’t be plunged into further hardship. My only reservation or concern is that this government cannot be trusted with our money, the last year has proven they are completely out of control with money been spent on Covid and Brexit.