IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) Wednesday December 13

markjazzbassist

30 minutes ago, JoeQuince said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m made up that we’ve picked up another three points. I’m over the moon about the solid performances our back line have put in as of late (watching them defend crosses doesn’t give me palpitations anymore). 

But, I don’t want to see us devolve into one-dimensional longball or start relying too much on our luck (as we did today and Sunday). I’m glad to see our players putting in a shift and improving their defensive positioning. But, I want to see us controlling games rather than reacting to them, especially against sides like Newcastle. I understood what Sam did against the Shite. And, he essentially did the same against Newcastle. It worked. Sure. But, watching us play in this style is frustrating. 

You really are asking for way too much, too soon. I don't care how we play as long as we're not getting hammered every game at the moment. Why would you think the same group of players who looked relegation fodder a month ago should now be controlling games? 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

You really are asking for way too much, too soon. I don't care how we play as long as we're not getting hammered every game at the moment. Why would you think the same group of players who looked relegation fodder a month ago should now be controlling games? 

I don’t know. I thought we looked excellent in the matches against West Ham and Huddersfield (and against Apollon of course). Newcastle aren’t any better than those two. I’d like to see the same kind of aggressiveness and panache in our play. I know we were shite a month ago. But, we’ve seen this team put it together. I’d just like to see more of that. 

1 hour ago, JoeQuince said:

I don’t know. I thought we looked excellent in the matches against West Ham and Huddersfield (and against Apollon of course). Newcastle aren’t any better than those two. I’d like to see the same kind of aggressiveness and panache in our play. I know we were shite a month ago. But, we’ve seen this team put it together. I’d just like to see more of that. 

Those games were Unsworth teams and tactics (even though he was no longer in charge at Huddersfield, the team and tactics were unchanged). Now it's Allardyce tactics, which are the pits to watch.

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

Those games were Unsworth teams and tactics (even though he was no longer in charge at Huddersfield, the team and tactics were unchanged). Now it's Allardyce tactics, which are the pits to watch.

You’re probably right. Personally, I just hope that Allardyce can display enough flexibility to manage this group of players to their strengths and pull their best football out of them. If what we’ve seen the past two matches are a sign of things to come, I’ll be getting worried. We won’t get lucky penalties every week and our opponents’ shots won’t always swerve to the wrong side of the posts. Getting four points out of the past two matches is great. But, if people think these results were down to the brilliance of our play (beyond our sudden ability to deal with crosses!), they’re sadly mistaken.

There are bright spots, of course. I’m excited to see us get the ball into wide areas and make some dangerous crosses. That’s one of the reasons I’m so angry about seeing Schneiderlin ghosting around in the center of the park while Sigurdsson is out wide and a quick, direct winger sits on the bench. Our best play in the past few weeks has come with quick interchanges around the edges of the box that create room for crosses. More of that, please. Much more. 

9 hours ago, hafnia said:

Beggars can't be choosers.  

Ffs it's like someone's car passing it's MOT despite having shit brakes, bald tyres no windscreen wipers and they are moaning that it's not driving as good as it should be.

Just let him get us to the transfer window in a reasonable state and put the onus on Walsh actually doing his job. 

Car analogy’s.... Hafs back!

7 hours ago, JoeQuince said:

We also played Huddersfield and West Ham at home. We hadn't won away in the league since January was it before last night? I can understand grinding it out rather than going for the kill. 

Alright lads, 

That was a bit shit really. Think it's fair to say we were better in the first half, but in the second half Allardyce shut up shop and saw it out for the win. We were unlucky to hit the woodwork, unlucky that Darlow spilled it at Rooney's feet and unlucky that Diame hasn't yet been exposed as the charlatan he is. 

We've been playing ok, but a combination of bad luck and bad players has done for us in more games than i care to remember.

Shelvey is stupid cunt, for what it's worth. Sure he's got talent, but what's the point in it if he's sat in the stands for yet another suspension? Hope the lads that made it up had a good night. Shame it was a weekday, Saturday games are much better:beer:

15 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Shelvey is garbage. He isn'ttt a Premier League quality player by any stretch of the imagination and there's a reason he's been booted out of a string of clubs. Not even good enough for Swansea.

I agree that Newcastle can say they were unlucky with 2 shots hitting the post and the goalkeeper spilling the ball out to Rooney but I don't think they'd done enough to win the game.

Idrissa Gueye fluffed his lines to make it 1-0 early in the first half and Sigurdsson spooned a shot too.

I fear for Newcastle, I have pity for the fans who are paying good money and filling a big stadium but they aren't seeing anything near to value for money.

Mike Ashley has operated that club like Sports Direct. He's hollowed it out and is trading bargain basement wares at regular prices.

Remember when Lonsdale and Karrimor were half decent brands? Well it's cheap tat now.

re: Shelvey, he's a bell end, no doubt. If we could stick that vision and wand of a right boot in the body of someone who wasn't an arsehole we'd have some player. That red card against Spurs, and the second yellow against you lot were 2 of the most pointless red cards I've ever seen. Begs the question why Benitez won't play Mitrovic? I mean, the kid can score in the top flight, is more of a presence up front than Gayle or Joselu. Sure he's a madhead, but at least when he gets sent off it's because he's lost his rag.

Oh we didn't deserve to win the game, no way. Can't think of many saves you had to make and the ones you did were fairly straight forward.

Sooner Ashley goes the better, he bought a midtable club that was in Europe 5 out of 6 previous seasons, and he's turned us into a joke of a club with 2 relegations and a litany of PR disasters. No one knows what's happening bu there's all kinds of rumours going round. The new owners want to compete with Man City and have the funds to do it, the new owners want to continue to run the club on the cheap as Ashley is, the new owners are more like Venkys and nowt like Abramovic/Mansour. To be honest, I'd be happy as long as they're ambitious on the football side of things. I don't care if we regularly finish 10th in the Premier League as long as we're trying to do better, trying to get further in the cups, trying to play decent football.

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

"MF Idrissa Gueye, 9 -- Back to his tireless best with one of those performances that convince you there must be two of him on the pitch. Gueye led the way for Everton on the night in terms of attempted passes, pass accuracy and tackles won."

Needs to be dropped!

35 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"MF Idrissa Gueye, 9 -- Back to his tireless best with one of those performances that convince you there must be two of him on the pitch. Gueye led the way for Everton on the night in terms of attempted passes, pass accuracy and tackles won."

Needs to be dropped!

Just thought I'd throw that out there before I go away for the weekend ;)