IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) Wednesday December 13

markjazzbassist

3 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

We've tried to play some good football. They've not played out from the back but there's been some nice football in patches. You can't blame Sam for the inability of players to strike the ball cleanly at goal or misplacing their passes tonight.

Yeah. But, I can blame him for his tactics and substitutions. It was evident from the get go that we needed speed on both wings and more movement in midfield to help us move up the pitch. But, he was pretty much content to have us sit back and defend. 

Not pretty but I'm absolutely delighted with the improvement our defense has made over the last 5 games. Yet another clean sheet for them today. Kenny is rightly getting a tonne of plaudits for his mature performances, but Holgate is quietly doing his job superbly as well. 10 points from the last 12 and just one goal conceded. Progress. 

4 minutes ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

A win is a win but I think some of you are getting carried away talking about not giving them a sniff. They hit the post twice and nearly had a tap in open goal (can't remember who it was). Could have ended very differently very easily. Hopefully the run will instil some confidence though. 

My comments were about the second half.

They hardly had the ball in our area, where we had a few real chances, but failed to capitalise.

Hopefully SA is working his way towards fielding a more balanced front line. Lennon's a great pro and we do well with him in the side, but there should be someone on the other flank that mirrors him. Vlasic didn't show much of himself in a disjointed latter third of the match, but him and Lookman or Lennon and him would be a fun combo to watch. 

Sigg and Rooney playing in the same side only works in spite of actual functionality; they're both really intelligent so it's OK, but things could be more cohesive. Other than that we do look far more confident these days, despite riding our luck at times. 

Didn't see the 1st half but 2nd half we played quite well in spells and tried to keep the ball on the ground more than the last couple of games, small steps but we are moving in the right direction, Martina looked more comfortable not having a Salah to contain, and that was probably the best half I've seen Gana play.

18 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I'll take an ugly 1-0 away victory over another end to end drubbing.

Performances will ONLY improve when the results start going our way.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m made up that we’ve picked up another three points. I’m over the moon about the solid performances our back line have put in as of late (watching them defend crosses doesn’t give me palpitations anymore). 

But, I don’t want to see us devolve into one-dimensional longball or start relying too much on our luck (as we did today and Sunday). I’m glad to see our players putting in a shift and improving their defensive positioning. But, I want to see us controlling games rather than reacting to them, especially against sides like Newcastle. I understood what Sam did against the Shite. And, he essentially did the same against Newcastle. It worked. Sure. But, watching us play in this style is frustrating. 

We haven't played decent football for fuck knows how long so the way he's deploying the lads is effective albeit slightly lesser on the eye 

We played absolutely shite under Koeman and Unsworth for the most part so I'll take the points and a steady climb up the table any day, come January we can add and hopefully mix things up