• Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Richarlison
    • Moise Kean
    • Alex Iwobi
    • Theo Walcott

29 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

perfect analysis by Phil McNulty

Urgency and threat are hardly words you'd associate with Gana and his two assists a season. Most on here were calling for Sigurdssen to be dropped and also said Gomes had his worse game for us. 

Tbf attacking wise we've had this problem since last year and I was moaned at for saying we were lucky the opposition was poor and that our players had been clinical. 

22 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

This sums it up perfectly for me, lost the midfield again on Friday night and paid the consequences

McGinn is really impressing me - his energy/engine is incredible and he’s got a bit of magic too.

Dare I say, our midfield needs Delph in it.

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

Urgency and threat are hardly words you'd associate with Gana and his two assists a season.

Gana’s not about assists as such. His main quality was regaining possession when the opposition weren’t set. This allows us to catch teams. Too often, on Friday night, we were faced with 9 of their players and a goalkeeper to get past... this is a Villa team who must have the weakest full-backs in the league - we hardly exposed them all game - part of this is due to slow turnover allowing them to get into position comfortably.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Gana’s not about assists as such. His main quality was regaining possession when the opposition weren’t set. This allows us to catch teams. Too often, on Friday night, we were faced with 9 of their players and a goalkeeper to get past... this is a Villa team who must have the weakest full-backs in the league - we hardly exposed them all game - part of this is due to slow turnover allowing them to get into position comfortably.

Bingo!! Gana’s high pressing started plenty of counter attacks, all I ever hear about that was he is out of position. No, he’s winning the ball and getting us high up the pitch when the opposition weren’t expecting it. 

59 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think the most damning things McNulty said are the ones that we still have control over, which revered to DCL and Silva Gana is irrelevant now he’s gone that’s in the past we need to focus on the future. 

Awww crap! Does this mean I have to agree with you.... or can I spin it some other way, that makes me able to agree without agreeing?

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If you still can’t see what Gana brought to the side there really is no point trying to talk football with you

Please tell me the difference between the draw against Palace with Gana and the one without him? 

8 hours ago, c1982 said:

We had 65% possession... 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Please tell me the difference between the draw against Palace with Gana and the one without him? 

Again someone putting down a result over 90+minutes to the performance of one player out of 28. It's too ridiculous a premise to reply to.

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Again someone putting down a result over 90+minutes to the performance of one player out of 28. It's too ridiculous a premise to reply to.

I've said for over a year the spine of Keane, Gana, Sigurdssen was too weak, even questioned Bernard. But beyond the players people should really be questioning the man who picks them. These tactics are simply not good enough. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

We had 65% possession... 

Exactly, 65% possession playing in front of an organised Villa team - far too easy for them to defend.

Teams ‘set traps’, giving the opposition possession and nicking it when they are in their attacking shape - this is where Gana is/was priceless.

9 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Exactly, 65% possession playing in front of an organised Villa team - far too easy for them to defend.

Teams ‘set traps’, giving the opposition possession and nicking it when they are in their attacking shape - this is where Gana is/was priceless.

You'd have an argument if we managed to break those teams down last year but Gana's two meaningless assists don't give much weight to him helping nor the results. 

16 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You'd have an argument if we managed to break those teams down last year but Gana's two meaningless assists don't give much weight to him helping nor the results. 

It’s not to do with the assists though (for the umpteenth time!) - he regained possession to start attacks when teams weren’t/aren’t set - that was/is his main quality.

6 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It’s not to do with the assists though (for the umpteenth time!) - he regained possession to start attacks when teams weren’t/aren’t set - that was/is his main quality.

Winning possession is pointless if you then don't do anything with it. He stopped more of our attacks with his own passing by killing the tempo than any opposition player could dream of. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

You just don’t understand and probably never will. 

• MikeO locked this topic