IGNORED

Thierry Small

10 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we could have negotiated something like that pre tribunal but now I believe it will be a flat fee.

He wasn't under contract, so we couldn't. All the tribunal is doing is hopefully getting us a better flat fee. Nothing more than that. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

He wasn't under contract, so we couldn't. All the tribunal is doing is hopefully getting us a better flat fee. Nothing more than that. 

Yeah right. I more meant when he was under contract we could have, even if it was a youth/academy one?  Once his contract was expired I understand we have nothing but agreed fee or tribunal.

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yeah right. I more meant when he was under contract we could have, even if it was a youth/academy one?  Once his contract was expired I understand we have nothing but agreed fee or tribunal.

Still not mate. The sell on/buy back stuff is negotiated in a sale, not contract negotiations (which makes sense since when the contract has expired, any clauses would too)  

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

He still had two years left on his scholarship terms, I believe, so I'm not sure if we could have negotiated a sell-on percentage until he tore that up. I have no idea how that works tbh.

Point still stands though mate, if he's renaged on an agreement and is free to move, any conditions in that paperwork are dead. 

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He still had two years left on his scholarship terms, I believe, so I'm not sure if we could have negotiated a sell-on percentage until he tore that up. I have no idea how that works tbh.

I think the club make a legal commitment to him in the form of a scholarship, but because of his age he can’t make a legally binding commitment to the club, which allowed him to leave when and how he wanted, so we couldn’t sell him because there was no contract that gave us rights over him.  We have invested a lot of time and money in him so I’m wondering if the tribunal is setting a few for compensation which has to be paid for by any club he went to.  

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Point still stands though mate, if he's renaged on an agreement and is free to move, any conditions in that paperwork are dead. 

By the sounds of it he was on scholarship terms right up until just before he signed for Southampton, he just wouldn't sign the pro contract we'd offered him. So he was still under those terms while Southampton were negotiating a deal with us (which ultimately we rejected), and I'm sure we'd have been asking for a sell-on clause in any deal we put back to them.

So, I think we could have had a sell-on clause if we'd agreed a deal with Southampton but I don't know that for sure.

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We have invested a lot of time and money in him so I’m wondering if the tribunal is setting a few for compensation which has to be paid for by any club he went to.  

That's exactly what the tribunal does.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Btay said:

Lampard would have definitely given him minutes as well. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Too big for his own boots the ironic thing is when he left he would have got game time here.

A good signing for Vale I think.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...