IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home) Saturday 1 May

markjazzbassist

When was the last time we won a match when both Gomes and Sigurdsson play? Talented though they both may be, they just convey no sense of urgency or desire to win. I'm sure this was part of the reason why Allan was off his game today. I sincerely hope they both depart this summer and we can bring in more gritty, energetic, and determined replacements. Games are won and lost in midfield.

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

Our front line has improved which is highlighted by the amount of goals scored compared to last season, it’s already higher with 5 games to play, we have seen an improvement in the defence generally although injuries are making it hard to maintain a consistent back 4, the MF for me is where we’ve shown the least amount of improvement although we have improved the personnel mainly for me with the inclusion of Allan and Doucoure yet we don’t seem to be able dominate good possession in the middle of the pitch, the manager knows that so I can see a new addition to the MF coming in the summer who will add a different dimension and leadership we desperately need in that area of the pitch. So not all doom and gloom some important but still a lot to come. 

Has it not just improved because we signed James rather than improved through better football? In the stable years we scored 62 under Koeman and 54 under Silva whilst conceding 2 and 4 more than our current total (i.e. with games remaining). I don't see any improvement in our attacking player.

Even though goals conceded isn't great, I think we have looked more solid however I think as soon as we try and open up, we will look ropey.

Midfield is on paper miles better so why hasn't it improved more? When you say midfield leadership, that is exactly why Allan was bought. 

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

We have improved our performances against "better" teams and our form away from home (although a lot of teams have). Like you mentioned I agree we seem to stuggle when there is expectation on our midfield to run the game. Depth is certainly needed in this area and I'd like to see someone come in who is able to create and another player who is able to score goals from midfield. Not easy players to find. We can't keep going into games with Gomes and Sigurdsson our most creative players from central midfield.

I think the improvements against the "better teams" is more to do with how we are approaching the games. We aren't going out to match those sides, we are almost going out to draw the game and nick a goal if we can. 

You can look at that two ways. One its pragmatic and that it is all this expensively assembled side can achieve. The second is that we are approaching those games like a small club, a bit like the Moyes days. This isn't just the big clubs either. Its any side that can retain the ball and knock it around like Arsenal and Brighton. 

The reason we then struggle to beat the other sides is because we don't know how to keep hold of the ball and use it properly. You can't go from defending deep, knocking it long one week, to playing expansive attacking football the next. It just doesn't work like that. 

51 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

When was the last time we won a match when both Gomes and Sigurdsson play? Talented though they both may be, they just convey no sense of urgency or desire to win. I'm sure this was part of the reason why Allan was off his game today. I sincerely hope they both depart this summer and we can bring in more gritty, energetic, and determined replacements. Games are won and lost in midfield.

The Arsenal game... 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Has it not just improved because we signed James rather than improved through better football? In the stable years we scored 62 under Koeman and 54 under Silva whilst conceding 2 and 4 more than our current total (i.e. with games remaining). I don't see any improvement in our attacking player.

Even though goals conceded isn't great, I think we have looked more solid however I think as soon as we try and open up, we will look ropey.

Midfield is on paper miles better so why hasn't it improved more? When you say midfield leadership, that is exactly why Allan was bought. 

I think the improvements against the "better teams" is more to do with how we are approaching the games. We aren't going out to match those sides, we are almost going out to draw the game and nick a goal if we can. 

You can look at that two ways. One its pragmatic and that it is all this expensively assembled side can achieve. The second is that we are approaching those games like a small club, a bit like the Moyes days. This isn't just the big clubs either. Its any side that can retain the ball and knock it around like Arsenal and Brighton. 

The reason we then struggle to beat the other sides is because we don't know how to keep hold of the ball and use it properly. You can't go from defending deep, knocking it long one week, to playing expansive attacking football the next. It just doesn't work like that. 

I thought it was more to do with Ancelotti’s management of DCL and Richarlison, obviously better players like James make a difference, it would be strange to sign players you didn’t think would improve the team to be fair I thought that was the general idea with new signings. 

This was the most disappoint game of the season for me - It was basically shooting practice for Villa.  1:2 flattered us. A game that is essentially a cup final for us if we want to finish above Spur and Liverpool this season.

Richy is bang out of form (decision making and touch) - Ancelloti is loyal to his players but think Richy needs a rocket up his arse and a stint on the bench - Give King a couple of starts, can't be any worse that how Richy is playing at the moment. He is just not stepping up when he is needed. Bring Richy off the bench, might be the injection we need in some games. 

Not sure how Holgate gets in the team ahead of MIna or Keane, he was poor today - first goal was criminal, after already once been given a warning from Watkins' press. With injuries at least this season Ancellotti has had the change to see pretty much what all his player have to offer him - some are lacking if we truly have aspirations of regular European football. Player can't complain they have not been given chances in the team this season. 

Iwobi having to play instead of James was a obviously massive blow a few minutes before the kick off - one of our worse performers on for one of our best :(. Nobody stepped up their game to help compensate this.  I was one calling for Iwobi to be given time, but his final ball is just so so poor I do now shudder when his name is in the starting line up. You add him to Richy being out of form and we where pretty blunt going forward - easy game foe Villa's defenders. We are desperate for some quality attacking winger types. Our purchases in this department have be so woeful in the recent past!!

One shining light is that Pickford seem to be back to his best form. Actually saving us goals rather than costing us goals. He is now ahead by a country mile in the motm  voting!!. This is good, as there is still a lot of work to be done in the transfer market for first 11 players, so not having to buy a new 1st choice keeper is going to be useful. 

If missing out on Europe actually means more players are going to need replacing, then maybe it would be a blessing in disguise. The squad currently does not have the quality to play European football. 

It is going to be a big season next year, 3 or 4 more Ancelotti signing and 18month in the job, crowds back (hopefully) and bit more normality to life. 

At the beginning of the season I asked what are our realistic expectation on the team, and most said around 8th would be a fair ask. So looks like we are going to be around what was expected. I think one of the main problems we have had is between them Allan, Doucoure and James have just not been on the pitch enough together. All three have had injury issues meaning more often that not only one or two of them have been on the pitch at the same time. It would be interesting to know how many games we have had with just one playing, two playing and all three playing. We have looked good with all three on the pitch. From that I have seen, I think if all three had player together more then we could quite easily be 9-12points better off than where we currently are. 

We have played really well against the top 6 teams, but really poor against 'weaker' teams - I am hoping the latter, is a easier fix with the addition of a couple of decent attacking players!!

I am hoping in two or three years time we look back at this as very much a foundation season. In the past we have been so guilty of throwing money at a new manager and expecting with the click of the fingers to 'buy' more instant success.  It does actually take 3 or 4 seasons to build a team.

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

I thought it was more to do with Ancelotti’s management of DCL and Richarlison, obviously better players like James make a difference, it would be strange to sign players you didn’t think would improve the team to be fair I thought that was the general idea with new signings. 

Of course it is :)

The point is we aren't attacking as a team any better. Its basically a case of James do your thing otherwise we will wait for a set piece. If Dyche or Allardyce had James their attacking play would improve, it doesn't mean that they are managing the team well.

Its hard to see Richie / Dom having as many goals without James. Richarlison hasn't improved under Ancellotti. Dom has definitely improved where he plays but he is still the same player. King / Kean haven't done anything in an Everton shirt under Carlo. Iwobi is as frustrating as ever and Bernard has probably gone backwards.

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I am hoping in two or three years time we look back at this as very much a foundation season. In the past we have been so guilty of throwing money at a new manager and expecting with the click of the fingers to 'buy' more instant success.  It does actually take 3 or 4 seasons to build a team.

This is what I am clinging onto, a little bit blindly in truth, but I need some hope.

You only have to look at Utd. Ole built a counter attacking side that did well against big sides but couldnt put the smaller sides to the sword. They played a damn site better than we do against them, but, the point is they couldn't find ways to create chances and in their haste to attack, they left the back door open and conceded sloppy goals. 

Much to Ole's credit, he has gradually improved them finding that balance between defence and attack in every game. Even when they play on the back foot, they create consistent counter attacking opportunities but generally they always try and control the game. Even the back 4 is now pressing that little bit higher again and whilst it isn't consistent, it is the next step for them and I suspect a pacier CB partner for Maguire will improve them again. As it stands they will be 2nd in the league and in a cup final. 

The early days for Ole led to him gutting out all of the players that weren't Utd players. I think it is safe to say that we are going through that process. Some players have gone or are going and others clearly aren't in Carlo's plans. We also have a strong core group of players for the next 2 seasons (Pickford, Digne, Keane, Mina, Godfrey, Allan, Doucoure, Gomes(?), Richarlison, James and DCL). That is a big cause for optimism especially when I would expect us to sign another 2 or 3 good players in the summer. 

I think we definitely need to find our way to play and in my opinion that must be front foot, high energy, aggressive football. Then we need to fill those gaps in the first 11, crucially with players who fill that brief. No more Siggys, Delphs or Tosuns. 

Then we can see where it goes. Can Carlo ochestrate that transition or is he a man manager for quality players? We need someone who will put that work into the players on the training ground and I hope for our sake that is Carlo. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Of course it is :)

The point is we aren't attacking as a team any better. Its basically a case of James do your thing otherwise we will wait for a set piece. If Dyche or Allardyce had James their attacking play would improve, it doesn't mean that they are managing the team well.

Its hard to see Richie / Dom having as many goals without James. Richarlison hasn't improved under Ancellotti. Dom has definitely improved where he plays but he is still the same player. King / Kean haven't done anything in an Everton shirt under Carlo. Iwobi is as frustrating as ever and Bernard has probably gone backwards.

King was definitely a non starter who was thought could fill a role as a stand-in for DCL which was quickly seen as a nonentity, Kean lost heart and wanted out long before Ancelotti arrived he got his wish and hopefully we make a decent wedge on him, no point keeping a player who doesn’t want to be here. Your right Iwobi is frustrating he has got a great work ethic and ability but lacks vision he plays like he hasn’t thought about what he is going to do before he receives the ball, can he be coached I don’t think so if the lights not on it usually means there’s no one at home. 
I really don’t think Ancelotti likes the look of Bernard and wants him gone.