IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home) Saturday 1 May

markjazzbassist

7 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ah well mid table mediocrity again then 

We are where we are I’m afraid. A few good players, but generally haven’t got the fight in us, or the ability at the moment.

Were still building, but only have foundations built.

1 minute ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'm fed up with the attitude, no fight at all.

Sometimes I am tempted to think the lack of fight is really just a lack of pace throughout most of the team.  Yet the number of times so many of our players seem to be outhustled for 50-50 balls isn’t solely, maybe not even mostly, a matter of pace.  We just don’t have relentless players.  Godfrey and Coleman look relentless, but few others.  Combine that with a variety of players who absolutely fail to challenge the goalie with half and even good chances, and the result is kind of pathetic.

It would have been nice to have seen us go above the shite tonight but it wasn’t too be, very frustrating but not the end of the world first year for Ancelotti and his rebuilding process, we have made some improvement from last season and 2 or 3 new faces next season will move us further forward, and if Brands and Ancelotti can’t move us forward I have no idea where we go after them, so let’s try and stay positive and believe we are moving in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

It would have been nice to have seen us go above the shite tonight but it wasn’t too be, very frustrating but not the end of the world first year for Ancelotti and his rebuilding process, we have made some improvement from last season and 2 or 3 new faces next season will move us further forward, and if Brands and Ancelotti can’t move us forward I have no idea where we go after them, so let’s try and stay positive and believe we are moving in the right direction. 

Out of interest, where do you think we have improved apart from on paper? 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Missed the second half I had family visiting.  Sad to see the result.  Hope the lads pull their heads out their asses and we get some Europe.

Feel like this is the third or fourth time I've said this on here, but...I hate to spoil the ending for you, Mark, but there's no fucking way we're getting Europe. Unless it's that farmers league

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Out of interest, where do you think we have improved apart from on paper? 

Our front line has improved which is highlighted by the amount of goals scored compared to last season, it’s already higher with 5 games to play, we have seen an improvement in the defence generally although injuries are making it hard to maintain a consistent back 4, the MF for me is where we’ve shown the least amount of improvement although we have improved the personnel mainly for me with the inclusion of Allan and Doucoure yet we don’t seem to be able dominate good possession in the middle of the pitch, the manager knows that so I can see a new addition to the MF coming in the summer who will add a different dimension and leadership we desperately need in that area of the pitch. So not all doom and gloom some important but still a lot to come. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Our front line has improved which is highlighted by the amount of goals scored compared to last season, it’s already higher with 5 games to play, we have seen an improvement in the defence generally although injuries are making it hard to maintain a consistent back 4, the MF for me is where we’ve shown the least amount of improvement although we have improved the personnel mainly for me with the inclusion of Allan and Doucoure yet we don’t seem to be able dominate good possession in the middle of the pitch, the manager knows that so I can see a new addition to the MF coming in the summer who will add a different dimension and leadership we desperately need in that area of the pitch. So not all doom and gloom some important but still a lot to come. 

We have improved our performances against "better" teams and our form away from home (although a lot of teams have). Like you mentioned I agree we seem to stuggle when there is expectation on our midfield to run the game. Depth is certainly needed in this area and I'd like to see someone come in who is able to create and another player who is able to score goals from midfield. Not easy players to find. We can't keep going into games with Gomes and Sigurdsson our most creative players from central midfield.

14 minutes ago, Aidan said:

We have improved our performances against "better" teams and our form away from home (although a lot of teams have). Like you mentioned I agree we seem to stuggle when there is expectation on our midfield to run the game. Depth is certainly needed in this area and I'd like to see someone come in who is able to create and another player who is able to score goals from midfield. Not easy players to find. We can't keep going into games with Gomes and Sigurdsson our most creative players from central midfield.

Well put mate, so now it sort of comes down to do we trust Ancelotti to find the players needed or not, if people think there has been no improvement this season then they in reality can only say no we don’t trust him, if like some you believe there has been an improvement this year then you trust him and want him to carry on with rebuilding the team in his style, let’s be honest this was never going to be an easy overnight transition, it was always going to take a couple of seasons even for a great man like him.