IGNORED

Levi Colwill

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The bobble on twitter says lampard is keen On this kid. Looks a physical phenomenon, will give cover at centre half and left back. 

Chelsea are too though apparently (even for next season). They might be keen to keep him around the squad with Rudiger and Christensen going.

From what I hear he’d be a handy pick up if we got him (albeit he’d then be blocking Branthwaite from getting game time). 

11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The bobble on twitter says lampard is keen On this kid. Looks a physical phenomenon, will give cover at centre half and left back. 

He just retweets stuff that everybody knows or makes ambiguous tweets that’s can’t be proven or misproven. I can see us being in for him. Left footed and a unit. Hope we are looking at him 

On 24/05/2022 at 08:18, Vranny said:

Chelsea are too though apparently (even for next season). They might be keen to keep him around the squad with Rudiger and Christensen going.

From what I hear he’d be a handy pick up if we got him (albeit he’d then be blocking Branthwaite from getting game time). 

I would imagine Branthwaite would go on loan. Probably at least one will go but he’s behind Mina and Godfrey at a minimum and probably Keane and Holgate as well based on their end of season form. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I would imagine Branthwaite would go on loan. Probably at least one will go but he’s behind Mina and Godfrey at a minimum and probably Keane and Holgate as well based on their end of season form. 

He's probably not behind Mina unless he's injured

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Matt said:

Which is rare, and even then I'm still not convinced. 

I think you’d be in a small minority there. Keane is really the only other candidate who has played enough to be considered and Mina has been much better overall. I would guess most of us would want to keep him, even on high wages, if he could keep himself on the field.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Which is rare, and even then I'm still not convinced. 

Mina is head and shoulders better than any other centre halves.  Statistics don’t lie, we literally concede far less goals when he plays.

I would happily sell him as I think tarkowski is much better. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

Mina is head and shoulders better than any other centre halves.  Statistics don’t lie, we literally concede far less goals when he plays.

Mina has missed a full season on average over the last 3 years 63 games he’s good but never available if needs be I’d give him away for a low fee say 5m and save 6m wages also. 

46 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Statistics indeed do not lie. He's missed the majority of games through injury or suspension. So he may have the skills to be better, but he doesn't have the reliability to back it up. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think you’d be in a small minority there. Keane is really the only other candidate who has played enough to be considered and Mina has been much better overall. I would guess most of us would want to keep him, even on high wages, if he could keep himself on the field.

But he can't, so it's largely irrelevant and so his appearances will always look better vs someone who plays 3 times as many games like Keane does who has 3 times as many games to make mistakes and because he's always there, those mistakes will always be more evident. 

If Mina could play with Keanes consistency, then maybe he would be our best defender. But he hasn't, so he isn't. Not down to raw ability, but being largely unavailable. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Stats don’t lie, Danny Ings won something like 67% of Ariel challenges against him didn't he?

But he does win around 90% of unchallenged duels. And some of them even go away from our goal area.

He is a very smart guy though, he realises that if he plays more…. His stats will drop dramatically!

Stats don’t lie but they can be easily misinterpreted. Short sample sizes are pretty meaningless. Maybe he was the favorite for every one of those balls and did terribly. Or maybe Ings was the favorite for every one of them and he did very well. If I go 2/2 from the penalty spot it wouldn’t make me better than Richarlison from there, despite the stats.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Statistics indeed do not lie. He's missed the majority of games through injury or suspension. So he may have the skills to be better, but he doesn't have the reliability to back it up. 

I haven't looked this up fully but when you have a guy that plays as little as Mina does, those stats could misleading.

It could be he plays the lower scoring teams, it could be he plays the higher scoring teams and the stats are even more impressive. It could be he plays when we have our strongest 11 or our weakest 11. 

I have just checked last seasons games and of the top 5, he played only 2 games whereas he played 5 games against the bottom 5 sides (excluding us).

I like him, I think he is a great character and a leader and I think he probably is our best defender BUT he is barely fit and being our best defender doesn't say that much because he does still make mistakes.

Its time to just draw a line under him and move on.

Stats don’t lie but they can be easily misinterpreted. Short sample sizes are pretty meaningless. Maybe he was the favorite for every one of those balls and did terribly. Or maybe Ings was the favorite for every one of them and he did very well. If I go 2/2 from the penalty spot it wouldn’t make me better than Richarlison from there, despite the stats.

To be fair, your 100% right. He was favourite for every single ball, by a mile.

But somehow Ings still beat him to most of them.

24 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair, your 100% right. He was favourite for every single ball, by a mile.

But somehow Ings still beat him to most of them.

Even if I grant you that unlikely scenario that would only prove that Ings got the better of him that game, not that Mina is poor in the air. 

Your hyperbole suggests that your analysis, in this case, might not be entirely objective. 

Small sample sizes like the number of games he's played for us?

24 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Even if I grant you that unlikely scenario that would only prove that Ings got the better of him that game, not that Mina is poor in the air. 

Your hyperbole suggests that your analysis, in this case, might not be entirely objective. 

You've not met Shukes much, have you?

4 hours ago, Matt said:

But your point digressed from that and said “even still I’m not convinced”.  

hes miles better than the other defenders but yes, in terms of availability he must be sold. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

But your point digressed from that and said “even still I’m not convinced”.  

hes mikes better than the other defenders but yes, in terms of availability he must be sold. 

Yeah, because even when he did play he was hot and cold. He was just as likely to fall over someone and give away a stupid foul as make a great tackle.

Mina has played  79 league matches for us. I hardly think stats lie that much.

But of course if you watched him yourself you'd see he's easily our best defender. It's not even close. With him the whole unit is more settled. Without defence has usually looked like a rabbit in a headlight. Individual errors from guys like Keane and Holgate have gone up. Mina is also easily our best defender at blocking shots.