IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

If this kid's got an ego problem he's coming to the wrong place. Don't know how Martinez approaches such things but there never seemed to be any egos or toy throwing at Wigan so his main problem if he has a diva strop won't be opposing defenders he's tried to make a fool of as I'm sure there are plenty of hard cases in the Spanish leagues it will be his team mates and home fans.

I can recall Neville having a real go at Drenthe at Goodison after Drenthe stopped to skweam and skweam until he was nearly sick when he was dispossessed, in his mind unfairly, and the opposition had a real opportunity to break away but were stopped when Neville had no option but to whack someone in midfield and then let Drenthe have it while the free kick was being sorted. That approach that it's a team game will still be there under Martinez, in my opinion, and we all know what our fans think of 'superstars'! Yes, we're more than open to taking the piss out of the opposition by playing fantastic football but the kid needs to leave any excessive ego at home or he'll be miserable as sin in sunny Liverpool.

Edit: I've just watched the video of him in Cornish Steve's post, above. Not that you already don't but please ignore everything I say about anything and I withdraw every word of my original post. This kid is shit hot and deserves to strop with as much stroppery as he likes until he's all stropped out. Stropping is so this season.

Edited by Cake

I'm glad the author of this piece of green-eyed bile is envious Deulofeu has joined plucky little Everton. The author clearly knows what he's on about when he covers all his options and the kitchen sink as well at the end by announcing; "Deulofeu will return to Barcelona next year to form a three pronged attack with Messi and Neymar.... errrmmmm....... but, tell you what, just in case he doesn't I'll cover myself by saying if he doesn't do that he'll be loaned out every season to a different club (hopefully not Everton, though, eh!) because Barcelona don't know what to do with him." Shite! We've got him! Sit on my stump!

The more "why has he gone there" crap like this, the better. This lad's going to do well for us!

A contrasting opinion here on the OS from a Barcelona reporter for a Catalan newspaper:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/07/19/-deulofeu-will-hypnotise-defenders-?

Some key quotes:

“Gerard has a huge amount of talent, excellent physical qualities and he is technically gifted too.”

“I think there will be some very entertaining afternoons for the Everton fans watching him. "

“I think the presence of Roberto Martinez at Everton was very important in Gerard’s decision to join the club. Martinez is a Catalan coach who for years has shown that he likes to dominate the game with possession of the ball and that is perfectly suited to Deulofeu’s characteristics as a footballer. He is a coach that has put faith in young, skillful wingers before as shown with the cases of Callum McManaman and Victor Moses, who he managed at Wigan Athletic.”

Two articles in the Echo today from an interview with Jordi Cruyff. This one reveals that we pay no loan fee to Barcelona if Deulofeu features in kore than half of our games. Also underlines what a coup that we signed him in the face of interest from some top European clubs: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barcelona-back-roberto-martinezs-everton-5163542

I think Martinez will look to isolate him against the opposing full back much like he did with McManaman. He will want him taking the FB on and looking to either get a shot away or create a chance for someone else.

Exactly. The one on one will be exciting with this kid. If McManaman could look good doing it, I expect even better from him.

Martinez is fookin ace, lots of love for Bob. Them loaning us this kid is the most impressive compliment Martinez could be payed. It seriously highlights his footballing philosophy.

No disrespect to Moyes but there would be no way this kid would be here, nor getting the opportunities and development he would under Martinez.

I have to give kenwright the biggest compliment he will ever get from me for hiring RM, he's come in with a vision, sold it, and is in process of establishing it. Forget Wigan mark 2, this is gonna be school of science reborn - great times, changing times, exciting times.

Martinez is fookin ace, lots of love for Bob. Them loaning us this kid is the most impressive compliment Martinez could be payed. It seriously highlights his footballing philosophy.

No disrespect to Moyes but there would be no way this kid would be here, nor getting the opportunities and development he would under Martinez.

I have to give kenwright the biggest compliment he will ever get from me for hiring RM, he's come in with a vision, sold it, and is in process of establishing it. Forget Wigan mark 2, this is gonna be school of science reborn - great times, changing times, exciting times.

We'll see. No doubt Martinez did a large share of lobbying and earned this opportunity, but it also wasn't going to happen with Wigan; Deulofeu is coming here in no small part because of the stability and reputation that Moyes spent a decade building for this club.

We'll see. No doubt Martinez did a large share of lobbying and earned this opportunity, but it also wasn't going to happen with Wigan; Deulofeu is coming here in no small part because of the stability and reputation that Moyes spent a decade building for this club.

He's coming here because Barca believe that Martinez is a man with similar philosophies to their own, and who can help progress Deulofeu's career in preparation for the Barca first team. It's got nothing to do with Moyes or the club.

Edited by Simon

He's coming here because Barca believe that Martinez is a man with similar philosophies to their own, and who can help progress Deulofeu's career in preparation for the Barca first team. It's got nothing to do with Moyes or the club.

You really think that if Martinez was at Wigan and made the same kind of pitch and financial commitment then Deulofeu would be on loan at Wigan?

You really think that if Martinez was at Wigan and made the same kind of pitch and financial commitment then Deulofeu would be on loan at Wigan?

Yes i do too, trying to credit Moyes with any part of the Deulofeu transfer is just taking the piss imo. He did his job, but he's gone now move on from it.

Even more likely to go to Wigan due to increased game time.

Edited by Simon

You really think that if Moyes was at Everton and made the same kind of pitch and financial commitment then Deuofeu would be on loan at Everton? No.

IMO, there were two prerequisites: the coaching philosophy of Martinez and the stability of Everton FC. The fact that RM speaks Catalan surely helped, too.

Incidentally, as long as Deulofeu plays in at least 50% of games, there is no financial commitment - which is quite amazing really.

You really think that if Moyes was at Everton and made the same kind of pitch and financial commitment then Deuofeu would be on loan at Everton? No.

Don't believe I ever said this.

IMO, there were two prerequisites: the coaching philosophy of Martinez and the stability of Everton FC. The fact that RM speaks Catalan surely helped, too.

Yes, this is what I said. Martinez played a huge role for sure. But I'm going to respectfully disagree with those that believe Deulofeu would be on loan at Wigan (even if they were in the EPL). Are they even that much better than Barcelona B? I refuse to believe getting a chance to play with a team on the cusp of European football wasn't a big appeal.

It is all down to footballing ethics nothing more. Barcelona ain't gonna loan a £35m rated talent to a team to run channels, work defenders and look for Fellaini flick ons. Unfortunately Moyes ain't a manager that the Catalan giants are going to use to polish a diamond.

Great move for both clubs

I am a Martinez fan too but I would wait for him to start showing results before claiming its the school of science reborn.

It is all down to footballing ethics nothing more. Barcelona ain't gonna loan a £35m rated talent to a team to run channels, work defenders and look for Fellaini flick ons. Unfortunately Moyes ain't a manager that the Catalan giants are going to use to polish a diamond.

Great move for both clubs

Gotta agree Haf the lad would have gone to Dortmund, Spurs who were in for him aswell Edited by Tricky Trev

I am a Martinez fan too but I would wait for him to start showing results before claiming its the school of science reborn.

We may need to take a few pummellings whilst the new style takes place, that will be mainly the defence being told "don't you launch it, man in space, give and make yourself available" - I'm prepared for that.

I really can't express how the tag of plucky Everton, hard working, tough to beat got on my tits. It was an interpretation made by journos who were emailing their write ups based on hearsay.

Got a manager now who I'm 100% confident will get us the plaudits a grand old team should be getting. Not "ah theres poor old johnny wearing his hand me downs having a good go at the school disco"

Hopefully I'm right in saying this, but is the main reason he was available for loan because he's signed a contract for Barcelona (as in the main team) from the B team, and they've loaned him out to get him ready for the first squad?

If that's the case then I think this will work out in many aspects for us. Primarily, as has been stated, the philosophy link up will mean Deulofeu will fit into Martinez style straight away. However, if my question above is correct, the two biggest influences could be based on the deal itself.

The player coems highly rated and I'm sure Barca want to see him come on leaps and bounds, as I'm sure the player does too. The fact that if he plays more than half his games we owe no fee is an incentive for us to play him as much as possible, and at the same time I think since he knows he'll be going back to Barca next year he'll be playing out of his skin every match to get game time with them next season.

All things considered, I'm highly looking forward to seeing what he can do, and if it's anywhere near what's been said about him, I feel we have signed a player we desperately need in a deal that works otu amazingly well financially for us.

Gwlad all over.

Hopefully I'm right in saying this, but is the main reason he was available for loan because he's signed a contract for Barcelona (as in the main team) from the B team, and they've loaned him out to get him ready for the first squad?

If that's the case then I think this will work out in many aspects for us. Primarily, as has been stated, the philosophy link up will mean Deulofeu will fit into Martinez style straight away. However, if my question above is correct, the two biggest influences could be based on the deal itself.

The player coems highly rated and I'm sure Barca want to see him come on leaps and bounds, as I'm sure the player does too. The fact that if he plays more than half his games we owe no fee is an incentive for us to play him as much as possible, and at the same time I think since he knows he'll be going back to Barca next year he'll be playing out of his skin every match to get game time with them next season.

All things considered, I'm highly looking forward to seeing what he can do, and if it's anywhere near what's been said about him, I feel we have signed a player we desperately need in a deal that works otu amazingly well financially for us.

Gwlad all over.

Excellent post. Did not realize this.