Sign in to follow this  
4evablu

Gerard Deulofeu

He will surely feature soon enough as Steve said he's likely not to have been 100% fit and ready and it is a tough league to adapt to at a young age even more so without being fully fit.

I'd love to see him on the right and bring mirallas into the middle sat just behind Kone.

Got to be honest, i think Martinez won't play Delofeu in the league until after our first win. Martinez is using (aparting from Barkley) pretty much the same squad and set up as Moyes, albeit with a different playing style. I think once we've won a game and have got the wind at our backs we'll see a lot mroe of him.

I 'd be hesistant to ask a 19 year old from a different league to come in and start winning us games right from the off. and regarding the season loan and he should be getting more games angle, I honetly think starting him above other players at Everton at the start of the season would send the wrong message to the players. He's not a mercenary we've hired to come in and win us the league title, he's a young player, still developing, who needs a guiding hand and a club that will give him the chance to grow. Growth does happen in spurts, but to ask for one of those after 2 games is a bit much.

Let him bed in, ideally with a game like stevenage tonight where he should be miles above the opposition in terms of pace and skill, and I'm sure we'll soon see him starting games, or at least getting 20-30 mins.

It seems everyone's fallen in love with this guy and he hasn't really played that much for us yet. But, after tonight's game, I can see why Martinez hasn't played him in any league games yet.

For me, he seems a little too right foot biased. For the first 60 or so minutes - until he switched to the left - he tried to beat his man on the outside to get a cross in with his right foot. He didn't really come inside until he switched to the left (obviously onto his right foot) - and I can only remember him putting in one cross with his left foot.

Along with that, you can see he's probably not quite up to the physicality of the Prem yet. He few too many times tonight, he was muscled off the ball too easily. He won one or two free kicks, but that's something he's going to have to work on.

Don't get me wrong, I think this kid has got bags of talent. I just wanted to point out that I can see why he probably isn't quite as ready, as say Barkley is, to step up.

It seems everyone's fallen in love with this guy and he hasn't really played that much for us yet. But, after tonight's game, I can see why Martinez hasn't played him in any league games yet.

For me, he seems a little too right foot biased. For the first 60 or so minutes - until he switched to the left - he tried to beat his man on the outside to get a cross in with his right foot.

I don't really see a problem with this part.

Does this game count in his tally towards us not having to pay a fee for him, or is that just for PL games only? Either way he's guaranteed a start in the next round of the Carling Cup, I would have thought.

Spot on Wall Writer!

One thing that worried me is he looked like he's here for him rather than being here for the team due to his selfishness and lack of effort off the ball at times. Yes it's only one game and in reality he should have come off when his legs had gone after 60mins but still it looks like there's a long way to go.

Overall, there are plenty of positives but many ???

I thought he was fantastic and his goal came from his left foot. And his corners were very dangerous, full of pace instead of floaty shite like the others tend to put in.

Obviously tired badly towards the end, but showed lots of promise and was very exciting.

His corners weren't getting through though Romes. What I did like were the occasional diagonal / short corners though.

He seems to save energy as opposed to being unwilling to chase a ball. That probably comes from playing in high temperatures. We have to remember he isn't Cristiano Ronaldo, and treat his opportunities as a supportive capacity, rather than expect everything to be perfect.

One ball that he put into the box that Naismith spaz'd all over, made me get the Flugenheimer out!

Every replay was pure magic. No one did fuck all with it but jeeez...spam fest over the technical brilliance and power, the ball seemed to speed up, in flight. Awesome stuff.

I thought he was fantastic and his goal came from his left foot. And his corners were very dangerous, full of pace instead of floaty shite like the others tend to put in.

Obviously tired badly towards the end, but showed lots of promise and was very exciting.

Definitely two footed but prefers his right. I'd just add that every level he's played at, he's eventually triumphed. In the youth setup at Barcelona, players with standout talent are often moved around in their age categories to see what they are capable of. Similar happened with Messi, Bojan & Dongou. Bojan eventually showed he lacked the requisite skills to be a dangerous forward/winger in world football but Deulofeu is not only full of confidence (Compared to how droopy/mopey Krkic turned out to be) but has thrived on every level.

Deulo, however, never made a splash with the first team although he has barely featured. Defenders will learn what frustrates him and Gerard will have to adjust which is part of what is missing from his overall game, IMHO. Extremely smart on the ball and clearly is being told to focus on his wide play before assuming a goalscoring role which will also benefit the player going forward.

Very happy to see him do well already, especially against an extremely well organized Stevenage side in a cup competition

Definitely two footed but prefers his right. I'd just add that every level he's played at, he's eventually triumphed. In the youth setup at Barcelona, players with standout talent are often moved around in their age categories to see what they are capable of. Similar happened with Messi, Bojan & Dongou. Bojan eventually showed he lacked the requisite skills to be a dangerous forward/winger in world football but Deulofeu is not only full of confidence (Compared to how droopy/mopey Krkic turned out to be) but has thrived on every level.

Deulo, however, never made a splash with the first team although he has barely featured. Defenders will learn what frustrates him and Gerard will have to adjust which is part of what is missing from his overall game, IMHO. Extremely smart on the ball and clearly is being told to focus on his wide play before assuming a goalscoring role which will also benefit the player going forward.

Very happy to see him do well already, especially against an extremely well organized Stevenage side in a cup competition

It's very clear why the hype exists but it's also very clear why Barcelona aren't ready to insert him into games yet. He definitely needs to learn when is and isn't the right time to run at the defenders vs when to release the ball a bit earlier. And he needs to learn how to protect the ball a bit better. Obviously these are things that can only be learned with experience, so I wouldn't be concerned from a long-term standpoint. Hopefully the coaching staff here can work with him on these things in the next few months and he'll be well-rounded and ready to get some first-team minutes on a consistent basis by December or January.

I really think Jelly will be onto a winner with this kid in the team, I mean he wont have to think, just hit it first time. All he needs to do is to vary his runs a bit. On a side note, If Gerard Deulofeu manages to provide Jelly with, say 20 goals, does that mean we can sell Baines and peanut next season and invest the cash to buy this kid? Hypothetical I know, just curious to know other opinions.

I really think Jelly will be onto a winner with this kid in the team, I mean he wont have to think, just hit it first time. All he needs to do is to vary his runs a bit. On a side note, If Gerard Deulofeu manages to provide Jelly with, say 20 goals, does that mean we can sell Baines and peanut next season and invest the cash to buy this kid? Hypothetical I know, just curious to know other opinions.

Not going to happen. I think Barcelona want to hang onto this kid, and if they did let him go, the pricetag would be way too much for us.

I know we've only seen one game against a lower opposition, but I really think the more he starts to play we will see what talent he has. Then if we get another year out of him too, that could be really good for us, and for him too.

What an opportunity that would be. There's going to be a large adjustment period for him right now, but he'd come into pre-season training next year fully acclimated and understanding what to expect. No adapting or learning, just playing. Would be a hell of an asset.

Awesome. 2 seasons and i'll think we'll see him destroy opposition.

I still stand by it, that this season is about him getting used to, the tempo and speed. A potential, 'next season', he'll dick on defenders...I am certain.

Is it me though, but have we gone from holding a lot of players who are seeing out the best days of their careers, to having 4 players (Deulofeu, Barkley Lukaku and McCarthy) who are all destined for the VERY VERY top, not just in Europe but potentially the world?

F*CKING HELL lads...!!

We're gonna be awesome.

Someone play the BOOMtown rats, before I preBOOM in my pants.

bahahahahahahahaha

Love it

big_grin_smiley_face_sticker-p2177463679

Good to hear that it may not be so short term, and that we actually might get some benefit from developîng him. If it goes really well, could we see other youngstars from Barca come across too?!?!?!

In that case there should be a balancing act between being a FCB colony and maintaining EFC's historic identity and pride. BTW, not all that comes from FCB is great, let alone fit for the physical high-tempo EPL.

Building a good relationship with Barca can only be a good thing- wherther it's their top youngster coming for experience, loans for fringe players, or even transfer of decent of player that don't quite make the Barca grade can only be a good thing- but the sounds of it the actual cost to us on this deal are relatively small.

Mourinio offering us Lakaku for a year. Chelsea are not shy on loaning player out.

If the top clubs have Everton and Martinez at the top of their list as THE place to send your talented youngsters that's not to bad a thing - even if you change the youngsters every year, it's almost like having a permeanent siging if you can keep them coming though the door. A bench half full of hungary, no fear top quality youngsters looks a decent formula to me.

We might let them have a couple of our promising youngsters on loan too if they play the right way :)

I don't know if I agree with your logic here, Bailey. I wouldn't want to stifle our youngster's progress by sending them to lowly Barcelona.

Building a good relationship with Barca can only be a good thing- wherther it's their top youngster coming for experience, loans for fringe players, or even transfer of decent of player that don't quite make the Barca grade can only be a good thing- but the sounds of it the actual cost to us on this deal are relatively small.

Mourinio offering us Lakaku for a year. Chelsea are not shy on loaning player out.

If the top clubs have Everton and Martinez at the top of their list as THE place to send your talented youngsters that's not to bad a thing - even if you change the youngsters every year, it's almost like having a permeanent siging if you can keep them coming though the door. A bench half full of hungary, no fear top quality youngsters looks a decent formula to me.

I see where your coming from but we should not be doing all the hard work for other teams that will reap the benefit. The premier league is unforgiving, and if £30 mill players can not fit in (Shevchenko, Ballack, etc) What hope a young prospect? Mind you we should be looking to do an Arsenal and nick them when 16! Is that still allowed? :dont know:

As much as I'd want him to start, I wouldn't actually mind seeing him come on at the hour mark or just after. In the last 5 minutes at Cardiff he was imperius, if we start him against Chelsea he may get marginalized. As an impact player though, he could come on and give Cole the run around and make things very awkward for them. As long as it is half an hour and not just 5 minutes.

As much as I'd want him to start, I wouldn't actually mind seeing him come on at the hour mark or just after. In the last 5 minutes at Cardiff he was imperius, if we start him against Chelsea he may get marginalized. As an impact player though, he could come on and give Cole the run around and make things very awkward for them. As long as it is half an hour and not just 5 minutes.

Agreed. He needs at least a half-hour of game time. He needs more than 5 minutes to gel with the players around him. Maybe somebody will actually get on the end of one of his crosses if they develop more of an understanding throughout the game.

Maybe a full start is a better idea, for me, after all?

Agreed. He needs at least a half-hour of game time. He needs more than 5 minutes to gel with the players around him. Maybe somebody will actually get on the end of one of his crosses if they develop more of an understanding throughout the game.

Maybe a full start is a better idea, for me, after all?

Don't get me wrong I'd love it if he started as I think he's a very attacking, dangerous player on the ball. He can put in a variety of crosses and also switch feet and cut inside. Haven't seen much of his shooting but his positioning and reactions are excellent.

My only thought about starting against Chelsea is they have a very strong defense and being away from home I'd warrant they'd play 4-2-3-1 which will make itr even harder to break through. I'd rather save Delofeu's explosiveness for when Cole is getting tired and we can exploit any complacency that surfaces.

Don't think Deulofeu is matured enough for a full 90 against a team like Chelsea. His bag of tricks is somewhat limited right now and Chelsea will figure him out after 30 minutes. I'd rather bring him on around the 60-70 minute mark and let him run wild against a tired Ashley Cole.

I am on the "bring him in as a super sub" boat. His explosiveness and ability to play on the ball is great, but I'm not sure if it will be really effective against a fresh Chelsea that played great against Bayern. I say, bring him in after about 60 minutes after Chelsea has tired, and then he will hopefully have his way against a gassed Cole/Ramires.

Not going to happen. I think Barcelona want to hang onto this kid, and if they did let him go, the pricetag would be way too much for us.

Extremely unlikely, I think he'd have to disappoint for that to happen...He's one of the jewels of the club

Not sure what the argument against playing him more is, Chelsea or whomever...Who else is creating more danger from the wing?

I completely agree Barca. No one is creating, so he certainly can't do worse.

Martinez has been saying this week that he has settled in quicker than expected, and we'll see him making a big impression in the next few weeks.

I completely agree Barca. No one is creating, so he certainly can't do worse.

Martinez has been saying this week that he has settled in quicker than expected, and we'll see him making a big impression in the next few weeks.

He can do worse. He could be a complete liability and dangerous defending, give the ball away. He's a promising kid, but his first start doesn't need to be against Chelsea.

I just watched the Toon game, first game of the season I've seen 'cos of a longish holiday in US. For the time he was on the pitch he wasn't really that involved too much but when he was, he reminded me so much of Alex Young, my childhood idol.

He just drifted about, almost godlike with the touch and control that most others can only dream about, the ball seemingly tied to his boot.

He'll either be a mega-star if he gets his head right or a complete twat if he doesn't take direction well. It's all up to him.

Meantime, just enjoy the ride. How far will it go?

I just watched the Toon game, first game of the season I've seen 'cos of a longish holiday in US. For the time he was on the pitch he wasn't really that involved too much but when he was, he reminded me so much of Alex Young, my childhood idol.

He just drifted about, almost godlike with the touch and control that most others can only dream about, the ball seemingly tied to his boot.

He'll either be a mega-star if he gets his head right or a complete twat if he doesn't take direction well. It's all up to him.

Meantime, just enjoy the ride. How far will it go?

Haven't seen such close control and effortless pace when taking on a player from a lad so young. Unbelievable talent, as you say - it all depends on him and how he knuckles down to realise his potential. Nothing to stop him being a complete superstar in the messi/ronaldo mould.

The only way we could dream of signing him permanently is if for some reason he ran his contract down and chose to play for the club he has taken to his heart for a cut of his wage potential... but lets enjoy watching him develop and put our club on the map in spain - as all eyes will be on him...

All of that is true, but he reminds of Cristiano Ronaldo when he first came to Man U. Clearly loads of potential, but needs to develop an end product to his game. i.e. pass the fucker or have a dig. I like the dream of Barca letting him go, and him coming here but I just can't see it sadly.