IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

Heads up for any VR future buyers, a friend of mine works for a leading console company and someone there had a tiny bit of water in their ear from washing their hair, they used the VR and it made them sick for weeks and they still have to take tablets due to this. Just a word of warning for you all.

Name 3 future releases of this year that you're really looking forward to!

• For Honor
  • P.A.M.E.L.A
  • Overwatch

In no particular order. Maybe I'm wrong and they're all shit. I'll always be looking out to the next installment of Battlefield and Far Cry series. I'm a PC gamer, otherwise I'd probably put in Uncharted 4 or Horizon: Zero Dawn

I haven't played anything for weeks. I still have Arkham Knight sitting there from before Christmas.

On the VR front. I can't see Oculus doing that well but it'll be supported by Facebook and will be heavily promoted by them upon released.

I think Sony's equivalent PSVR will be the market leader but I don't think there's enough there to entice me to pay for one at that price. Even if I spread the price across two years, it'd still be £17 per month (PSVR+Camera's RRP is £399) and I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of one.

On top of that, Sony are bringing out a new PS4 in the coming months which is rumoured to have 4K (better graphics) resolution support. It's become a very expensive hobby.

Isnt the current PS4 capable of 4K?

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up! This weekend is open beta weekend for DOOM: it features only multiplayer, more specifically deathmatch and some other mode that requires you to hold control over a moving zone. I thought I sucked at pvp fps'es, being more of a action adventure gamer/ mmorpg gamer. Turns out I'm allright:

pgRCdWx.png

And the second heads up is for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege which has a "free weekend" meaning the full game is available for free this weekend :) (shots fired! Ubisoft isn't going to let Bethesda get all the attention this weekend :D )

Both can be found on Steam, though R6S can also be installed through Uplay alone.

Edited by Mirallas

Heads up! This weekend is open beta weekend for DOOM: it features only multiplayer, more specifically deathmatch and some other mode that requires you to hold control over a moving zone. I thought I sucked at pvp fps'es, being more of a action adventure gamer/ mmorpg gamer. Turns out I'm allright:

pgRCdWx.png

And the second heads up is for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege which has a "free weekend" meaning the full game is available for free this weekend :) (shots fired! Ubisoft isn't going to let Bethesda get all the attention this weekend :D )

Both can be found on Steam, though R6S can also be installed through Uplay alone.

I'll have to pick up Rainbow Six! Edited by TonkaRoost

• 3 weeks later...

Just one remark I'd have to make: Overwatch is on Open Beta this weekend. I'd highly recommend gamers to try it, even if it's just to realize they don't want to buy it. If you're not familiar yet with its concept: it's essentially a 6 versus 6 pvp multiplayer (or players versus AI) game where all players are specific characters with specific roles (healer/support, dps, sniper, builder, tank), so team balancing is a thing.

I was looking forward to it a LOT, however it was a bit of a letdown for me, especially in how LIMITED the game is. The major issue at hand is the fact that this 6 versus 6 is literally the whole game, there's nothing else to do. So it's really repetitive and after a day you've seen the game, trust me :) I made a little video review for the subscribers of my youtube channel to see, cause I had a message about Overwatch that I thought prospective buyers might wanna see first. This is not meant to advertize my YT channel, it's just a "testimony" and I don't want to type out a whole essay on a video game. Sorry for putting my mouth a little too close to the microphone.

Can't wait for Doom, all pre-ordered and ready to go :)

You can already save a lot of money by preordering through G2A. I won't post a link, because I don't want to interfere with advertizing on this site or maybe you have ethical reasons not to like G2A, but it's almost half price currently on the preorder of DOOM.

You can already save a lot of money by preordering through G2A. I won't post a link, because I don't want to interfere with advertizing on this site or maybe you have ethical reasons not to like G2A, but it's almost half price currently on the preorder of DOOM.

dunno what G2A is but I've had the game preordered for at least a month now, so too late for me anyway :)

Can't wait for Doom, all pre-ordered and ready to go :)

Which platform will you be using? Back in the day I'd wander up to Hoylake Community Centre and play against people over a LAN network. They had about 8 PCs set up for network games. I didn't have an internet connection at home so would download things to floppy disks, if they didn't work, I'd have to wait a week to go back to try again.

Which platform will you be using? Back in the day I'd wander up to Hoylake Community Centre and play against people over a LAN network. They had about 8 PCs set up for network games. I didn't have an internet connection at home so would download things to floppy disks, if they didn't work, I'd have to wait a week to go back to try again.

On PC. Not bothered about the multi-player to be honest, waiting for the single player

On PC. Not bothered about the multi-player to be honest, waiting for the single player

As an outsider to the old DOOM games, I'm actually only intersted in the multiplayer, because I did play the beta weekend and the dynamic and map designs were so satisfying. I don't care for the whole hellish demonic theme tbf. If there's a mod that replaces the textures with daffodils and sugarclouds, I might consider it. That flawlessly transitions us into the theme of shooter games and there's a few upcoming in the near future that really drew my attention!

First of is the slightly controversial Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare :) I am not a CoD person, but the community was bummed out by it and they wanted a feet-on-the-ground modern/world-war themed shooter. This is actually the first trailer that manged to spark my interest in the game, I think that I just might pick it up. Space combat, heck yeah. (visit the youtube page of the trailer below and look at the like-bar for more information)

Secondly is a game that doesn't really make a big splash in the main stream gaming community. But it did really grab my attention: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. Everything about this game's theme and athmosphere screams to me: this is what the latest Far Cry game should have been and not that bullshit caveman arcade game. And that is why I want to try this game.

And thirdly is Battlefield 5! The trailer comes out today and we can only guess what the game will be about, but Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, 2 and 2142 were the games that introduced me to shooters and oh my goodness am I looking forward to this reveal! Rumors speak of a World War 1 theme. Not sure how you can give that a fun dynamic, but I trust DICE. Anyway, I'll leave a blanc space below for the trailer that will come out later today :D

[ BF5 trailer here any moment now ]

Edit: meanwhile, the teaser that does seem to suggest a historic theme!

Edited by Mirallas

My biggest gripe with games today is the lack of offline features. There used to be a time that you would buy a game, sit at home and play it in its entirety.

Now, you have to be online to download "something", then you have to play with "somebody" (who for the most part, you couldn't care about), then in 2 months you need to buy "this" otherwise you can't continue but it'll cost you another £20 for something you're not that bothered about but apparently it's important.

That's why I still love games like The Legend of Zelda. Fully immersive worlds, with a story and a heart...all offline.

Game aren't cheap and they're getting inadvertently more expensive. You end up paying £100 to get the same full game. It's a disgrace.

Being a new parent has stopped my game playing days and i'd love to have proper couch sessions with mates (Mario Kart etc) but I don't have the time. Add to that, I can't unlock half the characters or tracks without a subscription and a download.

Mobile games are also like it. You can play for free, but you won't get passed this 'level' or 'rank'. I've been suckered once or twice by mobile games, they offer 'deals' at low prices and you pay it, forgetting the 5 times you've also bought 'gems' or 'gold'. Bastards.

My biggest gripe with games today is the lack of offline features. There used to be a time that you would buy a game, sit at home and play it in its entirety.

Now, you have to be online to download "something", then you have to play with "somebody" (who for the most part, you couldn't care about), then in 2 months you need to buy "this" otherwise you can't continue but it'll cost you another £20 for something you're not that bothered about but apparently it's important.

I fell into this trap with Destiny:

"Here's the game you just bought. Oh you want to on to the next map in the game? Buy the new expansion pack."

Whaaat?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Me neither, gonna be a new graphics card getting bought for this game

There's a privileged few who got to play in the closed alpha. It's almost impossible to get in, it's like a lottery if you're a Battlefield Insider or something. But that means you can 24/7 watch people play BF1 already on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Battlefield%201