IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Just heard Alan Brazil on the radio talking about players with GPS trackers and working out how much a player runs.

He said "what does it matter if you score a goal every other week? i didnt run around much, but if i put the ball in the net who cares?"

Thats just the opinion of one ex pro though.

Hmmm maybe that's why Man United ditched Brazil after 1 season. I don't think he lasted long at spurs either.

I don't think Berbatov did much running but when the ball was played to him it stuck, he then held it up released to someone like Modric, made his way into the box and scored a fair bit.

Lukaku hasn't got the luxury of a berbatov touch - not many have so really he needs to take a leaf out of Naismiths book and make up for it in effort and aggression maybe...

Ok... Just to assert a point. From last season to this one so far he has scored against:-

West brom

Palace

Villa

Burnley

West ham

Wolfsburg

Hull

Young boys

Kiev

Newcastle

Southampton

Barnsley

In terms of the league that is 1 top half team side at time of fixture.

Naismith when not being main striker has scored against:-

Leicester

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man city

Man United

Lille

Kiev

Yes, he hasn't scored as many as Rom but he's had less minutes on the pitch not playing as a striker when on the pitch either.

My point is that Rom struggles to make an impact against better defender's where guile, intelligence and more than just "put it through on goal" is required and less intricate methods rarely reap success.

So whilst I do concede he can finish, my case remains that he has a tough time against better players when the likes of Naismith doesn't.

Of course the argument will be that Rom probably gave Naismith the opportunity to score those goals. The reality is different. Rom needs to improve all round.

Leaving this topic alone for a while. Hopefully my next post is to say "well done Rom, lets see a streak of these games"

The reality is you are trying to manipulate stats to prove your point

What about the season before when he scored against Arsenal, Liverpool and City?

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in... Do you want me to extend it back that far and include those teams??? Guess what...the stats still stand.

He appears very much a flat track bully. Percentage team goals scored vs lower level teams vs percentage team goals v higher level teams see Rom do well against poor defences.

As I've said time and time again we have seen no consistent performances from him barring his first 2-3 months on loan. Disagree if you want. But feel free to prove it.

I really do give up now :I surrender: :huh::doh:

We could always just talk about how Kone was a waste of £6m... Prior to that how Naismith was a waste of a free transfer. Since then how cleverley was going to be a shite addition to the squad... I'm sorry that the glamour signing gets shit but he will until he changes his approach.

Thing is chaps I use my eyes and judgement... That's how I've been quite comfortable with my opinions. My opinion is that until the lad decides to give 100% in every game with the right attitude against every team then he's always going to be potential... He's ain't gonna be 22 forever, it felt like he was 21 for 4 fookin years as every time he had a shite game we were reminded of his age.

We've gone from the excitement of a 20+ goal a season striker into optimistically appraising games where the ball hasn't bounced off his shin every time.

And less of the excitement over goals, he's hardly prolific.

Of course the argument will be that Rom probably gave Naismith the opportunity to score those goals. The reality is different. Rom needs to improve all round.

It's not an arguement that Rom pulls defenders and makes space, it's a fact, it happened Saturday !

If he has a poor game (and the chelsea game wasn't that ) but still manages to draw defenders and make space for the likes of Naismith, Barkley, Kone etc to score, who gives a shit.

I'd rather win 2-0 with goals from Baines and Coleman, than have the best striker in the prem who scores every game and is the 'complete' striker and we lose 2-1.

It doesn't matter who scores the goal in an FA Cup final 1-0 win !

Your too wrapped up with one player, it's making you look more than a little pathetic.

We could always just talk about how Kone was a waste of £6m... Prior to that how Naismith was a waste of a free transfer. Since then how cleverley was going to be a shite addition to the squad... I'm sorry that the glamour signing gets shit but he will until he changes his approach.

Thing is chaps I use my eyes and judgement... That's how I've been quite comfortable with my opinions. My opinion is that until the lad decides to give 100% in every game with the right attitude against every team then he's always going to be potential... He's ain't gonna be 22 forever, it felt like he was 21 for 4 fookin years as every time he had a shite game we were reminded of his age.

We've gone from the excitement of a 20+ goal a season striker into optimistically appraising games where the ball hasn't bounced off his shin every time.

Yawn.

It's not an arguement that Rom pulls defenders and makes space, it's a fact, it happened Saturday !

If he has a poor game (and the chelsea game wasn't that ) but still manages to draw defenders and make space for the likes of Naismith, Barkley, Kone etc to score, who gives a shit.

I'd rather win 2-0 with goals from Baines and Coleman, than have the best striker in the prem who scores every game and is the 'complete' striker and we lose 2-1.

It doesn't matter who scores the goal in an FA Cup final 1-0 win !

Your too wrapped up with one player, it's making you look more than a little pathetic.

Correction... Too any people are too obsessed in looking for small positives in one player whilst being harshly critical of others who put a great deal effort.

Credit for occupying defender's??? Naismith has done they expertly since day one but got slammed near every game.

As said previously about 10 posts ago, I will leave this to Rom to address - he's in the middle of his "do Jack shit, I had a great game 5 matches ago"

I look forward to a big game against Swansea.

Off to the other threads....

Edited by Hafnia

Correction... Too any people are too obsessed in looking for small positives in one player whilst being harshly critical of others who put a great deal effort.

Credit for occupying defender's??? Naismith has done they expertly since day one but got slammed near every game.

As said previously about 10 posts ago, I will leave this to Rom to address - he's in the middle of his "do Jack shit, I had a great game 5 matches ago"

:crying:

Biggest problem with this thread is its not balanced.

Some of the comments are designed to wind Haf up...example....Kone's first touch is as erratic as Roms. Nonsense and anyone who watches already knows that.

Rom has massive potential and is starting to show it..... At times.

He also has games where he just doesn't seem to be bothered. This is a problem.

What we have now though is...

Haf trying to convince everyone of hos own concerns over Lukaku. And to be fair, like it or not they are valid. He is just a little to forceful with his views.

Then there are a bunch of people that want to prove Haf wrong so badly they seem to be overlooking the issues.

Saturday Rom was probably the poorest player on the pitch for us...in my opinion. He didn't work hard enough, his touch was awful at times...shocking at others.

But then he also managed a few shots on target and this can't be ignored either.

If Rom cam grow up a bit and realise he is not a world class player....yet, then he may gain that attitude needed at a club like ours and turn into something to be proud of.

Biggest problem with this thread is its not balanced.

Some of the comments are designed to wind Haf up...example....Kone's first touch is as erratic as Roms. Nonsense and anyone who watches already knows that.

Rom has massive potential and is starting to show it..... At times.

He also has games where he just doesn't seem to be bothered. This is a problem.

What we have now though is...

Haf trying to convince everyone of hos own concerns over Lukaku. And to be fair, like it or not they are valid. He is just a little to forceful with his views.

Then there are a bunch of people that want to prove Haf wrong so badly they seem to be overlooking the issues.

Saturday Rom was probably the poorest player on the pitch for us...in my opinion. He didn't work hard enough, his touch was awful at times...shocking at others.

But then he also managed a few shots on target and this can't be ignored either.

If Rom cam grow up a bit and realise he is not a world class player....yet, then he may gain that attitude needed at a club like ours and turn into something to be proud of.

How about his touches in the build up to the second goal? Pure quality, took the ball perfectly facing away from the goal right on the touchline by the bench. Turned on a sixpence taking two Chelsea players out of the game, inch-perfect ball up the line to Kone and beautiful movement to take the return and then spot-on timing when releasing the ball (picking the right pass) to Ross for the assist.

Just saying.

How about his touches in the build up to the second goal? Pure quality, took the ball perfectly facing away from the goal right on the touchline by the bench. Turned on a sixpence taking two Chelsea players out of the game, inch-perfect ball up the line to Kone and beautiful movement to take the return and then spot-on timing when releasing the ball (picking the right pass) to Ross for the assist.

Just saying.

Your right, that was very good play and what we want to see from him.

Your blinkers are playing up, or your memory.....suddenly there's a love fest for Naismith, sure I love him for what he did against Chelsea AND the other times he came up trumps and scored good goals, important goals, BUT there have been many times since Steven has been here that many Evertonians have wondered just what the hell the club were doing when they employed him, he had some terrible games (have to admit I loved his passion and effort) so for you to try and run the line ' Naismith expertly occupied defenders nearly every game', is just deluded.There were times defenders didn't even have to be within 10 metres of him and he could run the ball out of play, bless him.Anyway stevie boy has really got up a head of steam now and long may it continue.

Yes we all agree except haf. He says regardless of article age or goals he's shit.

Very one dimensional way of looking at that article.

"The problem is that at Anderlecht and at West Brom and Everton, is that he has been scoring goals,"

"The problem".... The problem exactly. He is a flawed footballer who has not developed in areas that he should and most probably won't. He was exposed to top level football for his worth as a finisher - and that is great for people who see a striker as being someone who can write off conceding possession or straying offside more than any other player.

I guess some people still think Tim Tebow is a super QB because he is 250 lbs has thrown 80 yard touch downs, rushed touch downs himself.... The fact that his pass completion rate was poor kinda affected the team. The fundamentals are often more important than the spectacular.

Edited by Hafnia

Very one dimensional way of looking at that article.

"The problem is that at Anderlecht and at West Brom and Everton, is that he has been scoring goals,"

"The problem".... The problem exactly.

I avoid this thread like the plague but that is the most laughable thing ever.

"What's the problem with your striker Mr Manager?"

"Bastard scores too many goals, don't know what to do about it. Nightmare."

It's funny isn't it. If McCarthy made tackle after tackle but couldn't control the thing he wouldn't get picked and fans would be on him.

It's the opportunities to do something that breakdown at Roms feet that people conveniently shrug off because he scores the odd goal. These opportunities often turn into the opposition counter attacking.

So yeah, him scoring was a problem especially as it meant his fundamental development was affected - the crest of his game wasn't up to scratch and still isn't.

For those waiting to see if his feet will change from lead to Velcro don't rely on it. It's not like Paul scholes ever got good at tackling - and let's just say he wasn't bad at the technical things...

Edited by Hafnia

It's funny isn't it. If McCarthy made tackle after tackle but couldn't control the thing he wouldn't get picked and fans would be on him.

It's the opportunities to do something that breakdown at Roms feet that people conveniently shrug off because he scores the odd goal. These opportunities often turn into the opposition counter attacking.

So yeah, him scoring was a problem especially as it meant his fundamental development was affected - the crest of his game wasn't up to scratch and still isn't.

For those waiting to see if his feet will change from lead to Velcro don't rely on it. It's not like Paul scholes ever got good at tackling - and let's just say he wasn't bad at the technical things...

How about this then, among the myriad of posts you choose to ignore, just try for this one (which falls easily into the Haf "ignore" category). Watch it on EvertonTV then come back and say his touch is a barn door.

Just saying.

Last word, no intention of getting involved in such a divisive thread again. Just an answer or some praise would be acceptable, all important and probably match winning goal. Lukaku was (imo) the main man in creating it, presumably you don't agree.

How about this then, among the myriad of posts you choose to ignore, just try for this one (which falls easily into the Haf "ignore" category). Watch it on EvertonTV then come back and say his touch is a barn door.

Last word, no intention of getting involved in such a divisive thread again. Just an answer or some praise would be acceptable, all important and probably match winning goal. Lukaku was (imo) the main man in creating it, presumably you don't agree.

I did just go on Everton tv and seriously the ball was on its third bloody bounce to the point of stopping (7 minutes 21 seconds)... Seriously ball control??? What was the alternative, it never quite had the energy to bounce off his shin? The turn was very good and his pass found his man...

I think what this typifies is 2 things,

1 that the most basic piece of play is used to warrant praise for the lad...actually controlling a stopping ball???

2. It identifies that when a ball is controlled and looked after then positive things can happen. So next time we hear that it's all about him putting the ball in the net and his poor touch doesn't matter, then it does.

Over the course of a game he will miscontrol more passes than any other player by a long yard. Miscontrolling a football... A Premier league player.

Anyway, well done in controlling a ball on its 3rd bounce Rom. I was wondering why I had missed this exceptional piece of skill in the 3 times I watched it.

Haha you've got to be the only Evertonian that doesn't think the build up to that goal was class!

Compare Rom to Barkley, they both try lots of things that don't come off, runs into blind alleys, miscontrol, loose passes. But they both keep trying it, and when it comes off, we score. And if it can come off just once for each of them per match, we score twice, and will win most games on this basis.

Now I've seen you mock Hodgson for criticising Barkley for the things that go wrong, rather than giving him the freedom to get it right. You do exactly the same to Lukaku, hammer him mercilessly for the things that don't come off. And then, just to prove a point, you hammer him when he has produced a piece of skill that leads to a goal. It really doesn't add up.

Haha you've got to be the only Evertonian that doesn't think the build up to that goal was class!

Compare Rom to Barkley, they both try lots of things that don't come off, runs into blind alleys, miscontrol, loose passes. But they both keep trying it, and when it comes off, we score. And if it can come off just once for each of them per match, we score twice, and will win most games on this basis.

Now I've seen you mock Hodgson for criticising Barkley for the things that go wrong, rather than giving him the freedom to get it right. You do exactly the same to Lukaku, hammer him mercilessly for the things that don't come off. And then, just to prove a point, you hammer him when he has produced a piece of skill that leads to a goal. It really doesn't add up.

Stop getting carried away with the haf hates Rom hysteria, its almost as frenetic as the Rom is gonna be world class hysteria and equally just as misplaced.

I haven't stated the move wasn't a good move. I stated that this supposed great first touch was a ball that didn't require a good first touch.

Let's cut to the chase here, Barkley attempts take ons and passes that are high risk high reward, if 1 in 3 comes off its a goalscoring opportunity. Simple as that.

What Lukaku attempts to do is control a fooking football! By some crazy handicap appraisal system Rom controlling a football is now somehow equal to Barkley picking up a ball under pressure, taking players on and making chances.

It's absolutely astonishing and shukes summed it up perfectly the irritation that I have caused by reasonably stating accurate concerns that at first were laughed at, now they are not laughed at, they are debated and defended like his life depends on it. My observations have touched a nerve because most of you know that annoyingly I am right.

The only person who can make me wrong is Rom himself, not video clips of him controlling a bouncing ball, Therefore roll on Saturday.

Stop getting carried away with the haf hates Rom hysteria, its almost as frenetic as the Rom is gonna be world class hysteria and equally just as misplaced.

I STILL haven't seen this. Ever. And i'm sure i'm one of a handful of people who have pointed this out. We know he's far from perfect and actually, flawed in many aspects. And no one has ever claimed he is or going to be World Class.

We dont have a single player who does that.

Really small positive like scoring goals? and being critical of players who dont score goals? I like players who score goals. we need goals to win games.
goals.

GOALS

GOALS!!!!

GOALS!!!! Edited by StevO

I STILL haven't seen this. Ever. And i'm sure i'm one of a handful of people who have pointed this out. We know he's far from perfect and actually, flawed in many aspects. And no one has ever claimed he is or going to be World Class.

To be fair, I can't sleep, it's after 3 AM and I just read back a couple years in this forum and I saw quite a bit of this.

Haf is right. Few were more excited than I was when Rom signed on a permanent deal. I'm a barman in New York and Frank Lampard came into my bar just before the permanent signing, through a short conversation with him (the man is class btw), I became convinced that Rom was the answer to all our problems.

But Rom is far from coming close to living up to his price tag. After spending literally the last hour + reading through this thread, I don't think Haf has once denied Rom's physicality, his sheer talent or his ability to change a game. The man is a freak of nature and every Evertonian has seen that displayed dozens of times.

But it's the things that Rom doesn't do... the breakdowns in play... the lack of pressure put on a pass back to the keeper, laziness on passes between CBs, a lack of well timed runs, a lack of desire to win balls at his feet, a lack of desire to make tackles and a short fuse in terms of blaming his teammates (this is just observed from broadcasts but seems real), that make him such a disappointment. I actually believe that Rom still has the opportunity to be world class as he's so young and so physically able and talented, but he needs a massive shift in mentality.

I can't chalk it up to strategy, because whether or not RM's tactics dictate up the field pressure on clearances or possession in the back of the field for opponents, I've never seen a striker so disinterested in disposessing a defense in their own half. I've never seen a striker so lazy and overconfident in his first touch. Contrast that with Naisy, who I would have sold for a quarter of his asking price and who has 1/5 the talent of Lukaku, but who works tirelessly for every single pass, who tackles in the backfield even when it's clear he will not win the tackle and who runs at defenders just enough to make them question themselves even when he knows he's not quick enough to get there.

Rom DOES stand around too much. He DOES hang out offsides too much. He DOES NOT take credit for his shortcomings.

And that's what makes him so god damn frustrating. It's not that he's not scoring enough goals for a forward. It's that he's not scoring enough goals for Romelu Lukaku, Everton's record signing and a man with the physicality to be one of the greatest young strikers the premier league has ever seen.

I haven't stated the move wasn't a good move. I stated that this supposed great first touch was a ball that didn't require a good first touch.

Let's cut to the chase here, Barkley attempts take ons and passes that are high risk high reward, if 1 in 3 comes off its a goalscoring opportunity. Simple as that.

What Lukaku attempts to do is control a fooking football! By some crazy handicap appraisal system Rom controlling a football is now somehow equal to Barkley picking up a ball under pressure, taking players on and making chances.

It's absolutely astonishing and shukes summed it up perfectly the irritation that I have caused by reasonably stating accurate concerns that at first were laughed at, now they are not laughed at, they are debated and defended like his life depends on it. My observations have touched a nerve because most of you know that annoyingly I am right.

The only person who can make me wrong is Rom himself, not video clips of him controlling a bouncing ball, Therefore roll on Saturday.

Barkley turns into trouble in dangerous areas when a simple lay off would suffice, he also inexplicably misses simple passes when we all know he is capable of wonderful distribution. I'd go as far as say most of his mistakes are far from 'high risk, high reward', as he makes them in areas of the pitch where there is little reward. Would he be a better player if he improved that? Yes, of course. Is anyone seriously concerned if he keeps running at defenders and playing through balls to creat chances? No.

My point is its the SAME issue with Lukaku. NO ONE is doubting that he would be a better player if his control improved, but while he scores goals, is it really that much of an issue that his every performance needs dissecting and taking apart? There's barely a footballer on this planet that doesn't have weaknesses in their game, the sort of stick you give Lukaku should only come out if a player starts holding a team back with their individual deficiencies, and I don't think even you can make that argument about Lukaku!

To be fair, I can't sleep, it's after 3 AM and I just read back a couple years in this forum and I saw quite a bit of this.

Haf is right. Few were more excited than I was when Rom signed on a permanent deal. I'm a barman in New York and Frank Lampard came into my bar just before the permanent signing, through a short conversation with him (the man is class btw), I became convinced that Rom was the answer to all our problems.

But Rom is far from coming close to living up to his price tag. After spending literally the last hour + reading through this thread, I don't think Haf has once denied Rom's physicality, his sheer talent or his ability to change a game. The man is a freak of nature and every Evertonian has seen that displayed dozens of times.

But it's the things that Rom doesn't do... the breakdowns in play... the lack of pressure put on a pass back to the keeper, laziness on passes between CBs, a lack of well timed runs, a lack of desire to win balls at his feet, a lack of desire to make tackles and a short fuse in terms of blaming his teammates (this is just observed from broadcasts but seems real), that make him such a disappointment. I actually believe that Rom still has the opportunity to be world class as he's so young and so physically able and talented, but he needs a massive shift in mentality.

I can't chalk it up to strategy, because whether or not RM's tactics dictate up the field pressure on clearances or possession in the back of the field for opponents, I've never seen a striker so disinterested in disposessing a defense in their own half. I've never seen a striker so lazy and overconfident in his first touch. Contrast that with Naisy, who I would have sold for a quarter of his asking price and who has 1/5 the talent of Lukaku, but who works tirelessly for every single pass, who tackles in the backfield even when it's clear he will not win the tackle and who runs at defenders just enough to make them question themselves even when he knows he's not quick enough to get there.

Rom DOES stand around too much. He DOES hang out offsides too much. He DOES NOT take credit for his shortcomings.

And that's what makes him so god damn frustrating. It's not that he's not scoring enough goals for a forward. It's that he's not scoring enough goals for Romelu Lukaku, Everton's record signing and a man with the physicality to be one of the greatest young strikers the premier league has ever seen.

I appreciate someone actually taking the time to understand and see that I have actually been balanced about the lad.

Yes the overall feel to the posts is that I have a downer on him, that is because people have been goading responses with ridiculous plaudits.

I could handle it if he made poor decisions like Ross does. The best players in the world were all once bad decision makers that's because it's as easy for them to do the out of the ordinary as it is to do the ordinary. It's the experience of knowing when and when not to.

The worst decision maker I seen was a 21 year old Gazza, did daft things. Christiano Ronaldo was highly erratic with his thought process. Gerrard till McAllister got hold of him had a reputation for over doing Hollywood balls. McAllister taught him "if you give a long one away, make sure the next one is short, and only hit the next long one when you know it will get there".

These players didn't have issues with work rate, controlling a ball, strolling around refusing to take accountability for a low level performance. Barkley at this moment sits in the company of those names, a player who has everything but the consistent ability to weigh up percentages.

Barkley and Stones are the two players we have who are genuinely on a world class level trajectory.

I stated at the start of the season that this will be Ross's breakout season. He's had his first full break and seems more mature and assured.

Rom will continue to frustrate and amaze, and until he finds a "stock" method of controlling a football and means of identifying and dealing with his mental triggers that spark laziness it will continue.

Edited by Hafnia