IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Read the match thread.

Lukaku was being slated for most of it until he scores.

Lucky for Lukaku!

He has been on a dry spell and fans were starting to look at him differently. He plays awful in the first half and rightly so...fans started to suggest he needs to be subbed.

Scores a few goals and it's all OK again.

If those goals don't go in and we lose...are we still OK?

Don't give me the old.. But they did go in... Either, as that doesn't give him license to be lazy.

Not writing him off yet as he will learn. But the coaching staff need to have serious words...so does the manager. Someone needs to start working on him.

Read the match thread.

Lukaku was being slated for most of it until he scores.

Lucky for Lukaku!

He has been on a dry spell and fans were starting to look at him differently. He plays awful in the first half and rightly so...fans started to suggest he needs to be subbed.

Scores a few goals and it's all OK again.

If those goals don't go in and we lose...are we still OK?

Don't give me the old.. But they did go in... Either, as that doesn't give him license to be lazy.

Not writing him off yet as he will learn. But the coaching staff need to have serious words...so does the manager. Someone needs to start working on him.

Watch the match and you will see he's not alone in the slow lethargic lazy that category, and as the striker he should be the one sticking forward.

Look at the maps Matt posted and it paints the main problem. He was wide and deep to try and get a touch.

Second half the team pulled their socks up and Lukaku followed suit. If we had a better midfielder who could dictate the play and push up the team we'd see the best of Rom.

Watch the match and you will see he's not alone in the slow lethargic lazy that category, and as the striker he should be the one sticking forward.

Look at the maps Matt posted and it paints the main problem. He was wide and deep to try and get a touch.

Second half the team pulled their socks up and Lukaku followed suit. If we had a better midfielder who could dictate the play and push up the team we'd see the best of Rom.

That about sums it up perfectly for me

You make it sound like he just had a one off "lazy half" - here you go, a little bit of search and find and use of the memory.

Please dont use that graph as an indication as to where he "had to play" in the first half - its where he was when he touched the ball nothing else, which is why there isn't 3 of them in the box when he should have been on the end of 3 sitters.

Everton 2 - 2 Watford poor - not much effort, nothing to work their defenders, got an assist for Kone. Spent half the game strolling offside,

Southampton 0 - 3 Everton 2 OUTSTANDING. 10/10 no complaints

Everton 0 - 2 Man City Not much effort again really, a very good man city team dominated so cant criticise too much

Barnsley 3 - 5 Everton 2 First half was a joke - strolled around. Showed some interest in second half and scored 2 that were on a plate - Gerry and Ross.

Tottenham 0 - 0 Everton In the words of Romey:- A bit of a no show from him really. I'm hoping that was more down to his exertions mid-week than a complete lack of effort

Everton 3 - 1 Chelsea went through the motions again IMO - Nais was the headline grabber and rightly so,

Swansea 0 - 0 Everton In the words of Romey:- he was an absolute passenger in the first half. I wasn't even annoyed by him because I just didn't notice him! - second half missed sitters

Reading 1 - 2 Everton shall we not even mention this one??? Disgraceful lack of effort - embarrassing and walked off without acknowledging fans - lazy.

West Brom 2 - 3 Everton 2 see comments…..

Feel free to disagree with the above match comments - I'm sure you will, you can always look back at the match threads to double check. The fact is appart form the odd occassion he has been bloody lazy - get over it. If he puts the effort in he looks a dangerous player - we want his to be dangerous, so start being honest when he isnt putting the effort in.

Edited by Hafnia

He is a lazy fucker full stop

As soon as he scored the first vs west brok you could see the change in body language. Oh I think I'll be a hero now.

When he goes into beast mode he's unplayable. Fuck knows why that isn't all the time?

It's not an age thing. We pay him enough.

Maybe he's just an arrogant prick

He is a lazy fucker full stop

As soon as he scored the first vs west brok you could see the change in body language. Oh I think I'll be a hero now.

When he goes into beast mode he's unplayable. Fuck knows why that isn't all the time?

It's not an age thing. We pay him enough.

Maybe he's just an arrogant prick

you mean, he got to play to his strengths after an insipid half from the whole team and fed of the confidence the team?

What a dick!

I still don't see any criticism of Barkley or the rightful MOTM for their crap first half. But hey, they didn't cost 24m....

Matt seriously wtf? Play to his strengths??? 3 fucking balls were played across the penalty spot in the first half. 1 he stopped running for, 2 he was actually stood still for outside the box. We're they not to his strengths????

Play to his strengths my arse. Sometimes we can't pass to him because he's walking offside after the first phase, then other times when we are attacking he's stood outside the scoring area.

Fuckin hilarious, kone had a good game so let's find someone else who can carry the can... Enter Barkley, poor bastard has barely put a foot wrong this season and more or less been sole creator in games... He has a less impressive game so he is now lazy... Deary fucking me.

Playing to a players strengths is hilarious? Hell, let's ask Howard to link up play. Why not, he's on the field, but it's not his role, he should contribute to the build up anyway, right? Or let's stick Naismith between the posts and tell him to stop the goals.

You know what is hilarious? Geri was also completely ignored first half gets no stick. Barkley skulked about the entire game, but they escape any criticism.

Balanced my aching arse. You haven't vouched for this lad, you didn't even want him in the team, so he's the scapegoat for every dire performance of the team. Sometimes he is poor, but there's no coincidence that those poor performances coincide with the team being poor and him being isolated or played out of position or both. It's so very, very sad.

I want him in the team when he can be bothered. if he can't he can piss off. As jofanon said it's not his age at all.

Barkley didn't skulk, he just didn't have a great game. Don't be so weak, your observations at 45 minutes were the same as mine, then post match you have swallowed some bollocks about Barkley being lazy.

Btw I was critical of Barkley, I wanted to punch him for his 92nd minute dribble from left back. He wasn't lazy though.

You fail to even acknowledged that lukaku actually stopped running for 1 ball that would have been a goal. And 2 where he stood outside the box. They were bread and butter for a striker.

Can't be arsed with it. You deserve a lazy inconsistent striker as long as you continue to defend him like a parent who can see no wrong in their petty thief of an asbo child.

"It's not my lad, he's a good boy, it's you police picking on him, you wanna go and see his mates, they get him into trouble"

I'd actually go as far as stating it's either:-

You are pissed

You are being a WUM

Or you really don't see the game.

I could get Gary Neville critical and use his example on Monday night football that if Rom actually showed for Funes Mori then he would have had a outball and we wouldn't concede the goal.

But don't start all this "won us the game" he played well when he decided to play. As simple as that.

Thread closed till Sunday for me, hopefully it is "great game Rom, bullied their defence"

Edited by Hafnia

I'd actually go as far as stating it's either:-

You are pissed

You are being a WUM

Or you really don't see the game.

I could get Gary Neville critical and use his example on Monday night football that if Rom actually showed for Funes Mori then he would have had a outball and we wouldn't concede the goal.

But don't start all this "won us the game" he played well when he decided to play. As simple as that.

Thread closed till Sunday for me, hopefully it is "great game Rom, bullied their defence"

wrong on all accounts. im bored with the nonsense aimed solely at this lad. No one else, who actually contributes, gets a tenth of this shit. Yet you declare yourself balanced. It's hilarious and infuriating in equal measure.

Phil McNulty on the BBC:-

"As Chelsea plunge into crisis and down to 16th place in the Premier League after the loss to Southampton at Stamford Bridge, some of their supporters may just have an envious glance towards the performance of Lukaku.

Chelsea raked in a handsome £28m when they sold Lukaku to Everton in the summer of 2014 - but he looked worth every penny once more as he terrorised the Liverpool defence.

Lukaku left defenders Martin Skrtel and Mamadou Sakho living on their nerves as he dominated the aerial and physical challenges, scoring a deserved goal and leading Everton's attack.

The only problem he had was a lack of support in and around when he was winning those headers and some very mixed service - but he looked the real deal.

Lukaku's career has, so far, been something of a tale of unfulfilled promise but at 22 he has all the weapons to develop into a world-class striker. He is now adding goals, with one here on top of his match-winning double at West Brom on Monday."

Exactly. Today was his best game in an Everton shirt. Fuck all this 1 in 2 nonsense, stats have been used to excuse a lad with his frame and athleticism should be bullying defenders.

He was everything we needed and then some. He actually looked like a captain - not a passenger.

Positives:-

Aerial. Blimey he can actually jump! His heading ain't brilliant but he can actually jump.

Determination:- never seen him apply himself for a full 90 but he did. From the first header he was up for it and I posted as such 3 minutes in.

Hold up play:- very impressed. He doesn't need to drop it an inch from his feet and I don't think he ever will have that in his locker - just set himself after his touch to hold off the opponent. He did this 4-5 times expertly.

He got stuck in today and looked like a number 9.

I will not accept any more "he's just there to score goals" as we have seen how much a competitive forward gives us.

I also won't accept this "we don't play to his strengths". He showed today that his game doesn't have to rely on other players. Other players need to be able to rely on him.

Very very good performance, but he owes this down to his application and nothing else.

Ross Barkley is there to create play so it's ok that he lost Ings for the header?

With a logic like that we will have a side like Pulis Stoke.

Believe it or not Pete, there is no rule that says if you are a goal scorer then you can't be a competent all round footballer.

Have a look at how many phases he was involved in today. Just by getting up for headers and laying the ball off it generates opportunities to score goals.

In much the same way as Deulofeu, if he wasn't so inconsistent in his performances he wouldn't be playing for us. We just have to be patient while he finds consistency (he will, imo) and hope he fires us to where we want to be or he moves on at a profit, and he'll only do either of those things when he gets that consistency.

I know it's frustrating watching inconsistent players but that's the way of things. I love Barkley but he drives me up the wall too. I love Deulofeu but I'd like to throttle him too. I don't rip them apart at every failure they have, they don't warrant that, and neither does Lukaku. Why? Because all three are capable of producing magic moments. Of winning games with the flip of a switch. Yes criticise when they get things wrong but don't go over the top. And that's how it's been with Rom I feel, and is why the defence of him has been so strong; because his criticism has been (too) strong. Unbalanced.

Romey laziness is not something that can be aimed at those other 2, they try things that dont work out.... Rom a lot of the time just doesn't try.

Barkley can be very lazy. He was lazy against West Brom and he was lazy off the ball again today. I'm not expecting him to run around full pelt all afternoon but watching him barely jog makes my blood boil.

Ross Barkley is there to create play so it's ok that he lost Ings for the header?

With a logic like that we will have a side like Pulis Stoke.

Believe it or not Pete, there is no rule that says if you are a goal scorer then you can't be a competent all round footballer.

Have a look at how many phases he was involved in today. Just by getting up for headers and laying the ball off it generates opportunities to score goals.

Where did you read that I dont think Rom should be a competent all round footballer?

We have one striker on the pitch, believe it or not, that is Rom and its his job to score goals. If he does not score goals you start looking at other things. Is he assisting goals? Is he holding the ball up well?

I dont give a shit if he is lazy as long as he scores. If he doesnt score he should work hard as hell. Simple equation.

And nowhere have I ever stated that Rom shouldnt be a competent all rounder.

Agreed he had a very good game, his best yet IMO and it wasn't because of his goal. Obviously it was vital but his game today was a brilliant contribution to a team game that relied on intensity.

So the question to Pete is... Would you have the 1 goal Rom performance from today or the 2 goal performance from Monday?

Barkley can be very lazy. He was lazy against West Brom and he was lazy off the ball again today. I'm not expecting him to run around full pelt all afternoon but watching him barely jog makes my blood boil.

Agree with this.

This is my main gripe with both Ross and Rom. No excuse.

People making excuses for them both look silly. There really is no excuse for not working hard.

Agreed he had a very good game, his best yet IMO and it wasn't because of his goal. Obviously it was vital but his game today was a brilliant contribution to a team game that relied on intensity.

So the question to Pete is... Would you have the 1 goal Rom performance from today or the 2 goal performance from Monday?

If only others could understand this.

Sadly stats and football manager rule most people's opinion.