IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

So our most attacking three midfielders have the ball less which I'd assume Lukaku would have less to run on to, you know because the midfield have less of the ball and on top of that we have a shit pass rate going forward. Our playing style supports this as we've only player long missing out the midfield once this season.

7 goals in 14 matches this year in the league, the much feted 1 in 2 striker. If we get some decent signings in January to link up with and take pressure off I could see that ratio getting better.

This "year" in the league?

31 games scored on 8 of those games - 10 goals.

Not brilliant. 1 in 6 matches recently.

Take out his hat trick from a truly shite sunderland side and it doesn't look good at all.

Edited by Hafnia

Get with the program Mike , goals mean nothing anymore. Any manager worth his salt knows that we should get rid of Lukaku, he offers fuck all apart from goals and assists. That's not what we want from a centre forward !

We should play James McCarthy upfront because he covers that much ground we would probably win the league, think he even scored once!

Yep why have Lukaku when you can get Shane Long... who wants 20-30 goals & assists a season when you can run 20 miles a game but couldn't hit a barn door.

Although in fairness Koeman's tactics are showing why Shane Long did so well last year!

Yep why have Lukaku when you can get Shane Long... who wants 20-30 goals & assists a season when you can run 20 miles a game but couldn't hit a barn door.

Although in fairness Koeman's tactics are showing why Shane Long did so well last year!

Sorry I keep forgetting that hard work and goal scoring are mutually exclusive.... they must be. Why else would you see the names Marcus bent, Shane Long, Denis Straq, and many other cheap costing forwards when we are foolish enough to query as to why this "beast" is unable to put in some work and make some runs?

Someone better have a word with Diego Costa and tell him to make the choice between working his arse off and getting the golden boot.

"Diego.... it's not good. We lost 3-2 today. You allowed their defence too much time on the ball and they built up play from the back"

"I scored 2 goals.... all is good"

Edited by Hafnia

I don't recall Scholes running round like a headless chicken and he's the best player my generation has had the pleasure of. Players like Bent, Johnson and I Kane make up for a lack of ability by running round a lot. I'd rather have a natural goal scorer like Lukaku.

I really do give up with this thread, there are a million and one things wrong with our squad but a free scoring centre forward isn't one of them

We don't have a decent keeper, we have an ageing back four, we have zero creativity in midfield and we have 4 or 5 ineffective wingers yet Haf goes on a personal crusade against a striker with a 1:2 ratio because he doesn't run enough and people are starting to agree with him that he is the core of all evil

Get fucking real , Lukaku is the least of our problems

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I really do give up with this thread, there are a million and one things wrong with our squad but a free scoring centre forward isn't one of them

We don't have a decent keeper, we have an ageing back four, we have zero creativity in midfield and we have 4 or 5 ineffective wingers yet Haf goes on a personal crusade against a striker with a 1:2 ratio because he doesn't run enough and people are starting to agree with him that he is the core of all evil

Here here!

Least of our problems? Maybe you just don't see that he typifies our problems Dunc.

Hes Golden bollocks - but its absolute bullshit and always has been. He's a lazy fucker. Not one outfield player averaged less distance than him over 90 minutes last season and only 3 are worse this season? And he's the least of our problems?

What you dont like is that I've bleated on about this and been met with opposition as if he has been putting in work... now the stats are out they are somehow "the least of our problems cos he scores 1 in 2" how convenient.

Well it's not actually as it's abundantly clear that he gets his goals because he solely relies on the players around him... unless of course you are going to tell me how he single handedly creates his own? No. He doesnt do that.

The solution to "our problems" is to get valencia or some other poor willing sod who is happy to do is donkey work in order to let him be Johnny on the spot. In doing that we will lose a player from midfield.

An ageing back 4 and new keeper you say? Not sure how they are going to fix our lack of goals but I do agree that needs sorting. Till then maybe golden balls can show his team mates that he's part of the team and do a bit... getting a bit boring watching him trot around waiting for passes to be made that magically divert the marker that he manages to constantly tag himself to. That will be the part where you say he's isolated.

Edited by Hafnia

Least of our problems? Maybe you just don't see that he typifies our problems Dunc.

Hes Golden bollocks - but its absolute bullshit and always has been. He's a lazy fucker. Not one outfield player averaged less distance than him over 90 minutes last season and only 3 are worse this season? And he's the least of our problems?

What you dont like is that I've bleated on about this and been met with opposition as if he has been putting in work... now the stats are out they are somehow "the least of our problems cos he scores 1 in 2" how convenient.

Well it's not actually as it's abundantly clear that he gets his goals because he solely relies on the players around him... unless of course you are going to tell me how he single handedly creates his own? No. He doesnt do that.

The solution to "our problems" is to get valencia or some other poor willing sod who is happy to do is donkey work in order to let him be Johnny on the spot. In doing that we will lose a player from midfield.

An ageing back 4 and new keeper you say? Not sure how they are going to fix our lack of goals but I do agree that needs sorting. Till then maybe golden balls can show his team mates that he's part of the team and do a bit... getting a bit boring watching him trot around waiting for passes to be made that magically divert the marker that he manages to constantly tag himself to. That will be the part where you say he's isolated.

You are correct about one thing , I'm sick to death about you bleating on about Lukaku

In fact I think I will ban myself from this thread, not that it makes any difference because you bleat about him in every other fucking thread anyway

You are correct about one thing , I'm sick to death about you bleating on about Lukaku

In fact I think I will ban myself from this thread, not that it makes any difference because you bleat about him in every other fucking thread anyway

no - what you are sick about is my opinion of him - that's all. Don't confuse the number of posts made about someone with the opinion that they carry.... I'm sure if I was on here making the same number of posts defending him then you wouldn't have any issue at all.

1. Haf makes observations about Lukakus game - in this case its his laziness and lack of running which is not helping our game

2. several members make comments saying "he does run, he does work hard, he just doesn't get the service"

3. very solid and damning stats emerge supporting the fact that "yes" he is a lazy player....

4. despite previously arguing that he isn't lazy, the defence of lukaku now shifts to another tactic without actually acknowledging that he is lazy.

Interesting to see Koeman thought the same about service....

“I can’t teach Romelu [Lukaku] how to score goals in the box because I was not a striker,” said Koeman. “But I can tell him how he needs to press and to run, and how he can make it difficult for our opponent.

“Costa is a great striker and a fighter with a great mentality. But we got all the details out of that game and it shows the strikers of Chelsea are running more than our strikers.That was specifically from that game and we need to improve all aspects. But if Romelu [Lukaku] wants to be that striker, he needs to improve that aspect.”

Is Koeman saying "its ok - Rom doesn't need to be a headless chicken cos he scores 1 in 2?"

This "year" in the league?

31 games scored on 8 of those games - 10 goals.

Not brilliant. 1 in 6 matches recently.

Take out his hat trick from a truly shite sunderland side and it doesn't look good at all.

Youcan't just take away something to make your argument look better Haf ?

Just pointing out that argument of service is valid, according to the manager. I'll not bother with the transcript because you'll only dismiss it anywa

Also, headless chicken implies that he runs, so....

the fact that he never actually said that implies nothing...

the fact is when putting the argument that lukaku "needs to run more" his attorneys will often cite "headless chickens and denis straq" as the description as opposed to "hard working and Luis Suarez"

Can we maybe just all agree that every player in the squad with the exception of Gana is currently a problem and that Rom's goal-scoring ability, while great, does often disguise a striker who lacks great first touch much of the time and doesn't always seem to know where he should be on the pitch? Like Jesus Christ. It seems like everyone must be of the opinion that he's either shit and worthless or he's the rock of this squad. He's neither. He's a striker with amazing potential who's probably a bit arrogant and maybe a bit lazy, likely stemming from the fact that he's scored a lot of goals for a team and a system without many in them for a fair while now, and who probably won't be an Everton player past this season anyway. He will probably go to some bigger club and make a name for himself as one of the greatest Belgian strikers of all time, and we'll all bemoan the fact that he could have become that here, when the reality is that we've got a ways to go as a club until we can develop anyone into a truly elite forward.

the fact that he never actually said that implies nothing...

the fact is when putting the argument that lukaku "needs to run more" his attorneys will often cite "headless chickens and denis straq" as the description as opposed to "hard working and Luis Suarez"

https://youtu.be/7rGpt7SjgHE?t=268

I must not understand English then...

Edited by Matt

Can we maybe just all agree that every player in the squad with the exception of Gana is currently a problem and that Rom's goal-scoring ability, while great, does often disguise a striker who lacks great first touch much of the time and doesn't always seem to know where he should be on the pitch? Like Jesus Christ. It seems like everyone must be of the opinion that he's either shit and worthless or he's the rock of this squad. He's neither. He's a striker with amazing potential who's probably a bit arrogant and maybe a bit lazy, likely stemming from the fact that he's scored a lot of goals for a team and a system without many in them for a fair while now, and who probably won't be an Everton player past this season anyway. He will probably go to some bigger club and make a name for himself as one of the greatest Belgian strikers of all time, and we'll all bemoan the fact that he could have become that here, when the reality is that we've got a ways to go as a club until we can develop anyone into a truly elite forward.

Of recent more and more is being spoken of why this will not happen...

the vast majority of clubs who may have the money that we are looking for will play one striker and/or play a high pressing game.

PSG - cavani has 14 in 14, Juve - ahead of higuain? no.

I honestly think the only club that will sign him is a mega rich one that will use him as an impact sub to bring on and play a 4-4-2 or to chase a game.

we will likely get £50m at the very most. No way will we get £60m.

I think he will end up playing in China before he is 26.

cant view that so you will have to enlighten me

Q (slightly paraphrased): In terms of productivity, how do you get Rom back into the form of the early season where he score 7 in 7

Koeman: Its a little bit the story of strikers, you can have a good run of scoring goals, then maybe you get some time where it's difficult to score, where you don't get any big chances to score, and we need to create more. The players around him, he can improve in his movement, but its a team question to create more chances and if he gets chances we know he'll score goals.

Q: Is it a case of playing more to his strengths or does he have to show more....?

Koeman: Ah but, we know that we need to create chances for him we, we need movements around the player, that was the reason that Mirallas played closer to Romelu against Man Utd, and thats the support that he needs as a striker.

So... when I say:

Just pointing out that argument of service is valid, according to the manager.

I don't see how he's never said that, considering that is exactly what he said.

Q (slightly paraphrased): In terms of productivity, how do you get Rom back into the form of the early season where he score 7 in 7

Koeman: Its a little bit the story of strikers, you can have a good run of scoring goals, then maybe you get some time where it's difficult to score, where you don't get any big chances to score, and we need to create more. The players around him, he can improve in his movement, but its a team question to create more chances and if he gets chances we know he'll score goals.

Q: Is it a case of playing more to his strengths or does he have to show more....?

Koeman: Ah but, we know that we need to create chances for him we, we need movements around the player, that was the reason that Mirallas played closer to Romelu against Man Utd, and thats the support that he needs as a striker.

So... when I say:

I don't see how he's never said that, considering that is exactly what he said.

The players around him, he can improve in his movement, but its a team question to create more chances and if he gets chances we know he'll score goals.

Team question indeed - something he is a part of and yes Koeman recognises "players around him" but also says "he can improve in his movement"

I would say that's putting it "mildly" - personally I hope that some very very frank exchanges have happened on both sides of the coin. Our wingers have been poor but I feel ridiculously sorry for Barkley. The lack of movement in front of him has been absolutely shocking and he has been the fall guy.