IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

In this league, your assessment is fair. Most positions and GK's are at their respective levels but the notion of buying a keeper because our defense is better than theirs, isn't the best argument to support a decision to purchase a keeper. You (Football club) should be buying keepers on ability not their current defence capability.

Suggestions?

Rulli at Sociedad, defensively they're all over the shop (at the min) but without Rulli they'd be getting mullered every game.

Pickford at Sundrland, don't need to say much more, getting better game by game, with one of the worst teams in the league in front of him.

That's just 2. And I wasn't having a go!

Actually he plays for Man City surprisingly, a little known fact, they bought him and then loaned him back to Sociedad. So he will probs be their number 1 next season on wards. would have loved him for us.

I do like Pickford, bags of potential. No I know you wasn't having a go, nor I, I wa just trying to further the conversation on keepers, try and see if anyone did have a good suggestion, like your two.

EDIT: on further inspection Rulli completed a full transfer to Real Sociedad in Jan, so that could be an option...

Edited by aaron

Crikey!

I was always a fairly defensive tactical player who won more points by forcing errors from my opponent than by playing glamorous winners and I was probably involved in a few rallies that went into three figures against similar style and standard of opposition but nowhere near that. Never had a game that went to "expedite" (which was bought in in 1936/7 when many players played defensively, and games went on for ever. At a game in the 1936 World Championship between a Pole and a Romanian it took more than two hours......to finish the first point!).

When I played in the early 1950's, sponge on bats wasn't allowed and the big names in the English game were Johnny Leach and Victor Barna. I played, as a Junior, at the Victoria Club in Leeds who boasted two England internationals in Brian Kennedy and Kathy Best. We also had the England team coach whose name I forget. I used to play four or five times a week.

Actually he plays for Man City surprisingly, a little known fact, they bought him and then loaned him back to Sociedad. So he will probs be their number 1 next season on wards. would have loved him for us.

I do like Pickford, bags of potential. No I know you wasn't having a go, nor I, I wa just trying to further the conversation on keepers, try and see if anyone did have a good suggestion, like your two.

EDIT: on further inspection Rulli completed a full transfer to Real Sociedad in Jan, so that could be an option...

I like Schmeichel, I think he makes a lot of saves that others wouldn't. I think he is just below the too class keepers in the league but young enough to keep improving as he gets older. Like Hart I admire his attitude too, that's half the battle as a keeper. A lot of people have raved about Forster in the past and I think he is better.

I haven't seen enough of Rulli to comment but Pickford again showed today that he is a class shot stopper, superb reactions, but he has some clangers in him. He needs to play games just under the radar of a big club to improve, without being too much in the limelight.

Great shot stopper but prone to clangers. Don't we supposedly have that exact profile as our (deserved, in my opinon) number 1?

My thoughts exactly. Don't think Pickford would be enough of an upgrade on Joel to warrant us signing him. This isn't just based on today either.

I know it was only youth teams but didn't Joel get picked ahead of De Gea in those teams for Atletico Madrid? Not saying they are on par with each other now, but honestly Joel is convincing me we don't need another keeper, should he do well in our hard run of games then there will be no need for a new keeper, 5 in 7 clean sheets so far.

I know it was only youth teams but didn't Joel get picked ahead of De Gea in those teams for Atletico Madrid? Not saying they are on par with each other now, but honestly Joel is convincing me we don't need another keeper, should he do well in our hard run of games then there will be no need for a new keeper, 5 in 7 clean sheets so far.

He's at least proven that a new GK isn't a number one priority like a lot though (including myself). Given his age, I think he'll only get better.

I see England are complaining about Italy's clever tactics against them in yesterday's rugby match. Rather than complain, why not come up with their own clever strategy next time? :)

Seventeen consecutive wins and not beaten since 2015? I think our strategies are just fine; we came up with a decent one in the second half yesterday in fact, battered them in the end!

Nothing worse than a jealous Celt :P.

Occured to me earlier whilst watching the chelsea game (specifically fabregas) that two seasons on the bounce the previous seasons championship winning side have downed tools and got their manager the sack, mourinho and Ranieri respectively.

Bit of quiet contemplation, I doubt such a set of events has happened before. Modern football, modern footballers.

not sure what to say there steve. he served his time he should be given a second chance. although you do wonder how he got off from a 22 year sentence in only 7 years served. corruption in Brazil? it's rampant.