IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

8 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Here’s an interesting analysis of big trends in modern football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/may/30/bundesliga-pressing-tactical-forefront-germany-jonathan-wilson

There are many posters here on TT who could comment — some undoubtedly providing support for and others critical of — Wilson’s thesis.

I didn't bother watching the second half that's how good the quality was first half. The quality of German football has dropped dramatically in the last 5 years. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I didn't bother watching the second half that's how good the quality was first half. The quality of German football has dropped dramatically in the last 5 years. 

Has the quality dropped, in your view, because what the author sees as strengths of Bayern, Dortmund, and various German managers, you see as weaknesses?

56 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Has the quality dropped, in your view, because what the author sees as strengths of Bayern, Dortmund, and various German managers, you see as weaknesses?

For me German football lacks severely in quality players and leaves far too much space to exploit. 

I'd expect a journalist to comment more on the lack of fans and the effect of that in the football. But he only sort of touches on it, but brushes it under the carpet as lack of fitness levels. Which is odd that he then goes on to say how good this German football is. 

He doesn't really say what this German football is beyond pressing either. Think it's just a fluff piece to keep himself in a job, whilst also blowing smoke up Liverpool arse and advocating that football should be played. 

I started to read it but couldn’t really understand his point of view, or what he was trying to convey so didn’t finish it. 
Football has changed immensely since I started watching it, which for me is less to do with systems but more to do with players, the laws of the game and the surfaces they play on.

It has become a game based more on fitness than ability of the individuals in a lot of ways. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52819872

5-1 win in Germany by a mile for me, even though all our goals were scored by Liverpool players. Didn't watch it sadly; it was on a Saturday afternoon which happened to be Josh's last week-end before he started primary school so wife wanted to take him out to the beach (don't know why we couldn't go Sunday, maybe forecast was bad). While we were driving to Lyme Regis I had the game on the radio in the car so heard the first two goals but then we arrived so I lost it at 1-1. Couple of hours later after building sandcastles I poked my head into a pub and asked someone what the final score was and when he said 5-1 I assumed we'd lost, nearly fell over when he put me straight.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52819872

5-1 win in Germany by a mile for me, even though all our goals were scored by Liverpool players. Didn't watch it sadly; it was on a Saturday afternoon which happened to be Josh's last week-end before he started primary school so wife wanted to take him out to the beach (don't know why we couldn't go Sunday, maybe forecast was bad). While we were driving to Lyme Regis I had the game on the radio in the car so heard the first two goals but then we arrived so I lost it at 1-1. Couple of hours later after building sandcastles I poked my head into a pub and asked someone what the final score was and when he said 5-1 I assumed we'd lost, nearly fell over when he put me straight.

The scoreline was great but I remember watching it back and thinking the performance was actually pretty poor and I was bored. Made me enjoy the result even more though :lol:.

On 31/05/2020 at 15:19, Elston Gunnn said:

Here’s an interesting analysis of big trends in modern football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/may/30/bundesliga-pressing-tactical-forefront-germany-jonathan-wilson

There are many posters here on TT who could comment — some undoubtedly providing support for and others critical of — Wilson’s thesis.

I don't watch German football so can't really comment but pressing is common sense. Even good players struggle under pressure. It is clearly better to have possession than to not have it. I watched the City v Burnley game and whilst you know Dyche would have had his players drilled to within an inch of their lIves, they were spent with half an hour to go because City just didn't give them and inch and then in turn zipped the ball around and made them chase the game.

It's not easy to press as a team though, it takes a lot of hard work and effort on the training ground and not to mention fitness. Whether the writers comments are correct or not I do not know, but in theory it would make sense.

On 01/06/2020 at 07:52, Palfy said:

I started to read it but couldn’t really understand his point of view, or what he was trying to convey so didn’t finish it. 
Football has changed immensely since I started watching it, which for me is less to do with systems but more to do with players, the laws of the game and the surfaces they play on.

It has become a game based more on fitness than ability of the individuals in a lot of ways. 

I think it has become more about the collection of players than individuals as it used to be. 

Ten years ago Pogba would have had the time and space in most games to do as he pleased and be the best player in the world but now teams can close him down and stop him in your team tactics. 

I watched a few old games over the break and it's amazing how much more time and space these players had. Every team is now so much more disciplined than they were 10 years ago. I look at Matt Le Tissier and I wonder how he would get on now. An unbelievably talented player but not exactly a team player (tactically), not particularly fit, slow nor physical, and how would he get on against two blocks of 4 with a DM between picking him up? It wouldn't have made him a bad player obviously but would he have done what he did quite so often? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Just thought I'd investigate a bit more, wasn't particularly easy to find but there's a lot of numbers here "THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION PREMIER LEAGUE LIMITED" for 2019 that don't look like a few pennies of profit. If someone is more financially savvy than me on here (i.e. 99.9% of you), I'd be interested to hear how much TFAPL Ltd actually pockets for themselves. Profit per year considering the P/L statement seems to say +£113m but there's a lot of fine print and other things there that I don't understand. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

"These restrictions should not apply to horseracing or greyhound racing."

Why? Well obviously because those two "sports" are founded upon and only exist for gambling. Nobody would be interested in watching them otherwise, no other "sport" gives the odds as an integral part of the result. If gambling is a "bad thing" then surely it should apply across the board; cigarette advertising was allowed to hang on in F1 longer than most sports when we had very fast fag packets racing around the tracks. Makes no sense to me. Also is it going to be banned in snooker? Easiest thing in the world to fix but all the players have bookies logos on them, madness.

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53387306

City’s ban overturned 

As i posted elsewhere this morning.... this is huge for us. Absolutely huge.  Clear the decks and buy quality in. Made up.   It also gives city the ability to strengthen their squad and reduce the red shites chance of dominance. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

As i posted elsewhere this morning.... this is huge for us. Absolutely huge.  Clear the decks and buy quality in. Made up.   It also gives city the ability to strengthen their squad and reduce the red shites chance of dominance. 

I was just going to post this is good for us cause moshiri is trying to do the same thing with usmanov and company.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I was just going to post this is good for us cause moshiri is trying to do the same thing with usmanov and company.

It's huge. We need a clear out, get the weak minded unprofessional idiots away from the club.  We need a Roy Keane like leader bought.... strong characters who stand up and get counted. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

It's huge. We need a clear out, get the weak minded unprofessional idiots away from the club.  We need a Roy Keane like leader bought.... strong characters who stand up and get counted. 

Preferably a hard ass who doesn't talk hard out of his ass. 

2 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Preferably a hard ass who doesn't talk hard out of his ass. 

When you hear Roy Keane talk about the United dressing room.... you realise just how much governance the strong characters have.  You need to make sure the strong characters have the right direction.

Craig Bellamy, Joey Barton,  pogba, Lukaku, Ashley Williams, Joe Hart. .... all strong characters but are they professionals who would dig players out and lead by example? Kick some arse? .... no.  

Your Roy Keanes, Peter Reid's, Watson's, Gerrards, Adams, Vieras.... they take no shit.  They ensure training is done right, they police the teammates on the pitch 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Your Roy Keanes, Peter Reid's, Watson's, Gerrards, Adams, Vieras.... they take no shit.  They ensure training is done right, they police the teammates on the pitch 

Try thinking of players of today who could live up to their standards of winning at all costs, and not accepting anything but 100% commitment from the players, and the players knowing they won’t take any prisoners. 
I don’t think they exist anymore, but I posted a couple of times in the past that we have no natural leader or voice on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Try thinking of players of today who could live up to their standards of winning at all costs, and not accepting anything but 100% commitment from the players, and the players knowing they won’t take any prisoners. 
I don’t think they exist anymore, but I posted a couple of times in the past that we have no natural leader or voice on the pitch. 

very true.  i was hoping davies would become this because he does seem to have that leadership and isn't afriad to get into it, but he's still too young and not yet blossomed.  maybe holgate?  i dunno.  DCL?  

for some reason it seems defenders and midfielders make the best team captains.  they are usually most selfless in their play and are able to be in/around the pitch every bit.  not just one end or the other (GK/FW)

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

very true.  i was hoping davies would become this because he does seem to have that leadership and isn't afriad to get into it, but he's still too young and not yet blossomed.  maybe holgate?  i dunno.  DCL?  

for some reason it seems defenders and midfielders make the best team captains.  they are usually most selfless in their play and are able to be in/around the pitch every bit.  not just one end or the other (GK/FW)

Holgate would be the closest and by far but he is only a young lad plying his trade. He needs someone mentoring him for longer. Whether that is Coleman given his age remains to be seen. Richarlison might be one of the next ones on the list, but that would be a flip of the coin in that it could bring out the best in him or he will implode. I definitely wouldn't say Davies. 

Generally in football you see very few players that want to do the dirty work. From 5 a side on a Tuesday night to Sunday league and up to the elite leagues. Those are the guys you want leading the side because when everyone else is day dreaming they are the ones bringing the group back down to earth. When we talk about Holgate, I think back to the Newcastle game when all he had to do was head the ball clear and instead he tried blocking his man under the ball. That's why he in particular needs time.