IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

5 hours ago, Bill said:

Someone's going to be disappointed,   Werner or Haverts  ?   maybe we can get one of them.

Kai Havertz isn't a striker, he's a number 10. Timo Werner however is a striker, so will more than likely be on the bench for the upcoming season with Lukaku coming through the door.

Tammy Abraham is likely to leave the club, but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Timo Werner was one of their best players, i think it was twelve goals but he also got 12 assists, and four goals disallowed by Var.  I would squeeze him in somewhere.

Havertz has said if Lukaku comes in it will upset what they had last season, he himself has said that Werner's goals, running and assists will be sadly missed, it will be interesting to see what happens.

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Such crocodile tears from Messi, he doesn't need to need to earn another penny in his life, if you love Barcelona so much then stay there (for free if necessary) ffs.

"I'm so sad because I have to go somewhere else to get another few million every year.."

What is the matter with people?

Couldn’t agree more just take what they can realistically afford then everyone is a winner, if the club are to be believed they lost somewhere in the region of 435 million last year, quite how I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ but shouldn’t this be the time Messi gave something back, after all Barca made him the richest player in the world though you wouldn’t believe it the way he’s carrying on. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Such crocodile tears from Messi, he doesn't need to need to earn another penny in his life, if you love Barcelona so much then stay there (for free if necessary) ffs.

"I'm so sad because I have to go somewhere else to get another few million every year.."

He was moaning last year they wouldn't let him leave for free.

13 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

PSG have to be the front-runners for the CL this season, ya? I mean I feel like that's said almost every year, but the business they've done in this window....best transfer window by a single team....ever? 

Their starting 11 looks like a dream team. If Poch doesn't win anything significant with them he will struggle to win anything, anywhere!

14 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

PSG have to be the front-runners for the CL this season, ya? I mean I feel like that's said almost every year, but the business they've done in this window....best transfer window by a single team....ever? 

yeah and i love their manager too, he's got all the pressure in the world now, everyone is expecting them to win it all.  i hope they do, i like poch and gana and some others there, would be nice for the french league too, it's looked down upon by the other big leagues as the runt of the big 5.

On 08/08/2021 at 23:33, MikeO said:

Spanish law dictates that any new contract must be at least 50% of the old one, Messi accepted to slash his salary in half to stay at Barcelona but even with such a reduction couldn't be registered due to the club's financial position - there's literally no way he could stay.

They aren't crocodile tears at all, this is a man who has grown up through the ranks at La Masia (the club even provided bone treatment to allow him to grow) and is being forced to leave due to measures out if his control. It's an incredibly sad day for football and it's completely justified how he's feeling - the man should have completed the journey at Camp Nou, but has had that chance taken away from him.

I'm sorry and don't take this the wrong way but the above post is factually incorrect and as a result a bit disrespectful.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Spanish law dictates that any new contract must be at least 50% of the old one

In which case I stand corrected, seems a bloody silly law though. Googling the above just leads to a three day old tweet that's been deleted so I can't see any evidence of its veracity, though quite happy to see some.

Sounds to me totally alien to human rights not being allowed to (for example) go and do "voluntary work" for ex employers when you're already financially secure for a thousand lifetimes.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Guessing from the silence that your assertion was based on the deleted tweet, but still open to being proved wrong.

It's a well documented rule, the Spanish are really hot on things like that for tax evasion and money manipulation purposes, I guess I could pull together a few sources if you really wanted me to, but a quick Google search would probably clarify what you need :)

On a slightly off topic note, as painful as it is this is Barcelona's best chance of keeping in business - they're sailing unbelievably close to the wind at the moment and even without Messi need to urgently strip players from the books. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's a well documented rule, the Spanish are really hot on things like that for tax evasion and money manipulation purposes, I guess I could pull together a few sources if you really wanted me to, but a quick Google search would probably clarify what you need :).  

Go for it, quick google for me just threw up the deleted tweet.

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He wasn't though, it was an attempt (which was successful) to overthrow Bartomeu the then President of Barcelona.

Messi had no intention of leaving Camp Nou, hence why he didn't.

No intention? He got his lawyers last year to try and force a free transfer.

13 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I guess I could pull together a few sources if you really wanted me to

Found one https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/lionel-messi-barcelona-wages-la-liga-salary-cap-play-free-why-1141150 but it also uses the deleted tweet as its source, so still dubious. The tweet was from a Mirror journo, why has he deleted it if it's accurate?

Watched a cracker of a documentary on Netflix last night .... "Malice at the palace".   Basically in 2004 a riot took place at a basketball game.  Absolute insanity.

Be interested to hear the views of the US posters here - my take on it was that the Pacers players were well in their rights to do what they did.  The fan who threw the drink literally started carnage. 

54 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Watched a cracker of a documentary on Netflix last night .... "Malice at the palace".   Basically in 2004 a riot took place at a basketball game.  Absolute insanity.

Be interested to hear the views of the US posters here - my take on it was that the Pacers players were well in their rights to do what they did.  The fan who threw the drink literally started carnage. 

Yeah, I remember it.  The fans crossed the line and assaulted the players by throwing their drinks at them.  They deserved any punch that was thrown at them.  

it’s only gotten worse.  In basketball fans are being banned for life because they are cussing out/speaking bad about the players wives/kids and the players go nuts.  Fans trying to get under their skin so they mess up and their team wins.  It’s really stupid.

there is a certain level of respect you need to have as a fan.  Go figure Americans find a way to ruin that.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah, I remember it.  The fans crossed the line and assaulted the players by throwing their drinks at them.  They deserved any punch that was thrown at them.  

it’s only gotten worse.  In basketball fans are being banned for life because they are cussing out/speaking bad about the players wives/kids and the players go nuts.  Fans trying to get under their skin so they mess up and their team wins.  It’s really stupid.

there is a certain level of respect you need to have as a fan.  Go figure Americans find a way to ruin that.

The 2 fans who fronted the 2 players were very very lucky that the punches didn't land clean.  

Those basketball players are like fucking thoroughbred race horses speed, power and would literally put you unconscious. 

• 2 weeks later...