IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

We're getting MLS televised on Sky this week - providing the players and owners get the Collective Bargaining Agreement sorted. Sky didn't know what to do with themselves without Steven Gerrard :D

I have a soft spot for the Gold Cup, mere months away.

CBA sorted!

I really don't think the NASL will last much longer unless they somehow merge with MLS. MLS is already recognized as the first "division," and I just can't see the USA having two Division 1 leagues. It's becoming more attractive to own a USL team because of the possibility of moving into MLS. Salary caps work here because parity is a big deal to fans and it makes the league more fun to watch. If it was such a hindrance to success then you would see the other pro sports leagues failing.

I think MLB may be the only US pro sport left without a salary cap, and it's slowly losing the interest of fans.

I really don't think the NASL will last much longer unless they somehow merge with MLS. MLS is already recognized as the first "division," and I just can't see the USA having two Division 1 leagues. It's becoming more attractive to own a USL team because of the possibility of moving into MLS. Salary caps work here because parity is a big deal to fans and it makes the league more fun to watch. If it was such a hindrance to success then you would see the other pro sports leagues failing.

I think MLB may be the only US pro sport left without a salary cap, and it's slowly losing the interest of fans.

Agreed but I disagree on salary cap. No one watches baseball because there are 162 games at 3.5 hours a piece. A game means nothing, your team can lost 50 in a row and still win the league. Plus the games are in the middle of the day, people work.

I don't like MLS structure and cap and all that, I think they should study the Brazilian leagues, and euro leagues and find something in between that works. Schedule, salary, amount of teams, promotion relegation, etc.

I agree everyone likes an underdog, but that's not MLS. Parity sucks, I want a team like southhampton to win, there is no such thing in MLS. The DP thing is stupid too. Look if a team won't last in Kansas city because it's boring and no one wants to live there, maybe there shouldn't be a team there!!! Instead they force it with the cap and parity. Oh well.

Agreed but I disagree on salary cap. No one watches baseball because there are 162 games at 3.5 hours a piece. A game means nothing, your team can lost 50 in a row and still win the league. Plus the games are in the middle of the day, people work.

I don't like MLS structure and cap and all that, I think they should study the Brazilian leagues, and euro leagues and find something in between that works. Schedule, salary, amount of teams, promotion relegation, etc.

I agree everyone likes an underdog, but that's not MLS. Parity sucks, I want a team like southhampton to win, there is no such thing in MLS. The DP thing is stupid too. Look if a team won't last in Kansas city because it's boring and no one wants to live there, maybe there shouldn't be a team there!!! Instead they force it with the cap and parity. Oh well.

A team like Southampton winning the league would be a sign of parity. We tried having no salary cap before and it didn't work. If there's no salary cap then you have the same teams winning the championship a la the Yankees (or Chelsea, Citeh, ManU).

I agree that part of the problem with baseball is the number of games. It's overwhelming on ESPN during baseball season.

A team like Southampton winning the league would be a sign of parity. We tried having no salary cap before and it didn't work. If there's no salary cap then you have the same teams winning the championship a la the Yankees (or Chelsea, Citeh, ManU).

I agree that part of the problem with baseball is the number of games. It's overwhelming on ESPN during baseball season.

There's no parity in EPL and they are challenging for champions league. That's a real underdogs that's what I'm talking about. Like the Kansas city royals in the World Series, underdog small city agaisnt big money. Love it.

MLS doesn't have that cause every team is the same and has 3 DP and salary cap. Everyone is the same, no favorites no underdogs.

How awesome was it last year when man united sucked? The mighty have fallen. Doesn't happen in MLS, everyone is 10 points away from top to bottom nearly.

Different strokes. I just think everything that is wrong with American sports MLS has adopted. And everything right with euro (promo relegation being my biggest love) they have rejected.

I know it won't change, but that doesn't mean I can be cranky about it!

There's no parity in EPL and they are challenging for champions league. That's a real underdogs that's what I'm talking about. Like the Kansas city royals in the World Series, underdog small city agaisnt big money. Love it.

MLS doesn't have that cause every team is the same and has 3 DP and salary cap. Everyone is the same, no favorites no underdogs.

How awesome was it last year when man united sucked? The mighty have fallen. Doesn't happen in MLS, everyone is 10 points away from top to bottom nearly.

Different strokes. I just think everything that is wrong with American sports MLS has adopted. And everything right with euro (promo relegation being my biggest love) they have rejected.

I know it won't change, but that doesn't mean I can be cranky about it!

Promotion/relegation isn't going to work in MLS right now. Teams need to grow more popular and develop more hardcore fanbases, otherwise you'll see folks jumping ship; there are just too many fair-weather fans as it stands. Sad, but true.

I actually like the parity of MLS because it makes each game more unpredictable; every team has a chance.

I get the romanticism that the role of underdog brings, but I prefer fairness and equal playing fields. Good form is more apparent in MLS. The salary cap will continuously increase through the years and eventually each team will be able to bring in top talent from over the globe. We need to build a sustainable foundation first.

Promotion/relegation isn't going to work in MLS right now. Teams need to grow more popular and develop more hardcore fanbases, otherwise you'll see folks jumping ship; there are just too many fair-weather fans as it stands. Sad, but true.

I actually like the parity of MLS because it makes each game more unpredictable; every team has a chance.

I get the romanticism that the role of underdog brings, but I prefer fairness and equal playing fields. Good form is more apparent in MLS. The salary cap will continuously increase through the years and eventually each team will be able to bring in top talent from over the globe. We need to build a sustainable foundation first.

Yes and well said. I agree promotion and relegation wouldn't work, I agree with you. I still want it because it's just and fair, but I agree it will never happen here.

That's why I love euro so much. Not just EPL, but really been getting into bundesliga, la liga, Ligue 1 and Scottish premier league.

One day MLS will be on par and then they will face those questions we spoke about earlier, the big issues. But when guys barely making an impact in the lowly spl (bocanegra, edu) are big stars in the MLS (edu not so much boca) there's work to be done.

What's the situation with the USL affiliates? Are fringe MLS players allowed to play for both; the MLS team and USL team on a regular basis?

For example, Leon Osman played for the U21s this week, could a player in his situation play several games for USL team, play in one MLS game as a sub and carry on with the USL team?

What's the situation with the USL affiliates? Are fringe MLS players allowed to play for both; the MLS team and USL team on a regular basis?

For example, Leon Osman played for the U21s this week, could a player in his situation play several games for USL team, play in one MLS game as a sub and carry on with the USL team?

I think they can go back and forth although it's considered more of a loan situation.

A lot of MLS teams have USL teams now. It's a lot like La Liga's 1st and 2nd division where you'll see Barcelona and Barcelona B.

Anynone else gonna be watching the Rugby all day? Should be a good day. Hope Wales win by quite a margin to at least make things interesting. Few beers on the cards today!

Certainly will be as much as possible.

Good to see Wales hanging on to a 6-6 draw at the moment :P. I have a nasty feeling Ireland will wallop Scotland and then we'll struggle v France.

All three games should be taking place at the same time really, but TV demands otherwise.

Great second half from Wales but Ireland look like pipping them.

Can't see England doing enough to catch Wales, let alone Ireland; who are now thirty points clear of Scotland.

England needing to beat France by the best part of thirty points (maybe more if Ireland score again). Not going to happen I don't think.

Never used to do "points difference" in the five/six nations, always used to be shared by teams on equal points.

Brilliant rugby so far to be fair. Wales were incredible second half and so were Ireland. The Welshman in me is now cheering on France! More hope than expectation really.

What a strange first half at Twickenham! I'd given it up at one point but now we "just" need to extend the gap by another fourteen points. Knife edge.