IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Spoke to one of our old boys today. Mr Lescott and family were walking through Alderley Edge so I said hi and asked how everything was going.

He's a towering bloke, made far funnier by the fact he was pushing his youngest in a cheap stroller, hunched over whilst being barraged with questions.

It'll be the drop in wages he's getting at West Brom compared to City; must be biting, got to feel for the bloke.

Trott's retired from international cricket. Good, the gutless selectors never would've dropped him. Hopefully now they'll be forced into picking Lyth.

Shame for Trott though if his mental issues have played a part; don't know anything about Lyth, the county game has become pretty much an irrelevance in recent years so wouldn't even know who he played for without googling. Sad because I used to enjoy it.

Shame for Trott though if his mental issues have played a part; don't know anything about Lyth, the county game has become pretty much an irrelevance in recent years so wouldn't even know who he played for without googling. Sad because I used to enjoy it.

Yeah I hope it's not to do with that too. I'm not sure he ever should have been picked again though. Not because of any issues, but because the selectors should've been looking to the future. Also not sure bringing him back as an opener rather than in his usual number 3 slot was good for him.

Cricket? What a shite sport.

I rather agree, although the emergence of limited-over games has helped bring a little excitement. It's also a lot more fun to play than to watch.

Years and years ago, along with several other Brits, I worked for a British software company at its office in Boston, Massachusetts. We heard that HMS Intrepid was coming to Boston, so someone arranged a Sunday afternoon cricket match against them. Of course, we all fancied ourselves at cricket, but we needed a couple of Americans to make up our number. The day dawned, and the Intrepid crew went into bat. In their 20 overs, they scored about 160 runs. We went into bat and were all out for 5. Even funnier, one of the Americans had never played before, so held his bat horizontally as in baseball. He scored 4 of our 5 runs, despite facing only 2 balls. :) We learned at drinks later that the HMS Intrepid crew had played the West Indies national team earlier in their journeys, which made defeat a little easier to take.

Emmanuel Adebayor's letter on Facebook is pretty fascinating:

SEA, I have kept these stories for a long time but I think today it is worth sharing some of them with you. It's true that family matters should be solved internally and not in public but I am doing this so that hopefully all families can learn from what happened in mine. Also keep in mind that none of this is about money.

At the age of 17, with my first wages as a footballer, I built a house for my family and made sure they are safe. As you all know, I have received the trophy of African Player of the Year in 2008. I also brought my mother on stage with me to thank her for everything. In that same year, I brought her to London for various medical check ups. When my daughter was born, we contacted my mum to inform her but she immediately hung up the phone and didn't wanna know hear about it. Reading your recent comments, some people said my family and I should consult T.B Joshua. In 2013, I gave my mother money so she could consult him in Nigeria. She was supposed to stay for 1 week; but 2 days into her stay, I received a call saying she left. Apart from all that l also gave my mother a great amount of money to start a business of cookies and different items. Naturally, I allowed them to put my name and picture on them so they can sell more. What else can a son do in his power to support his family?

A couple years ago, I bought a house in East Lagon (Ghana) for $1.2 million. I found it normal to let my older sister, Yabo Adebayor stay in that house. I also allowed my half brother (Daniel) to stay in the same house. A few months later, I was on vacation and decided to go to that house. At my surprise, I saw many cars in the driveway. In fact, my sister decided to rent out the house without me knowing. She also kicked Daniel out of that house. Note that the house had about 15 rooms. When I called her and asked for explanation, she took about 30 minutes to abuse and insult me over the phone. I called my mother to explain the situation and she did the same as my sister. This same sister says I am ungrateful. Ask her about the car she is driving or anything she is selling today?

My brother Kola Adebayor, has now been in Germany for 25 years. He travelled back home about 4 times, at my expense. I fully cover the cost of his children's education. When I was in Monaco, he came to me and asked for money to start a business. Only God knows how much I gave him. Where is that business today?

When our brother Peter passed away, I sent Kola a great amount of money so he could fly back home. He never showed up at the burial. And today that same brother (Kola) is telling people that I am involved in Peter's death. How? He is the same brother who went and told inaccurate stories about our family to "The Sun" in other to take some money. They also sent a letter to my Club when I was in Madrid so I could get fired.

When I was in Monaco I thought it would be good to have a family of footballers. So I made sure my brother Rotimi gets into a football academy in France. Within a few months; out of 27 players, he stole 21 phones.

I would not say any anything about my brother Peter Adebayor because he is not here today. May his soul rest in peace.

My sister Lucia Adebayor keeps telling people that my dad told me to bring her to Europe. But what would be the purpose to bring her to Europe ? Everyone is here for a reason.

I was in Ghana when I received the news about my brother Peter being seriously ill. I drove the fastest I could to Togo in order to meet him and help. When I arrived, my mother said I could not see him and I should just give the money and she would solve everything. Only God knows how much I gave her that day. People are saying I didn't do anything to save my brother, Peter. Am I a fool to drive 2 hours to Togo for nothing?

I organized a meeting in 2005 to solve our family issues. When I asked them about their opinion, they said I should build each family member a house and give each of them a monthly wage.

Today I am still alive and they have already shared all my goods, just in case I die.

For all these reasons, it took very long for me to set up my foundation in Africa. Every time I try to help the people in need, they had to question me and all of them thought it was a bad idea.

If I am writing this, the main purpose is not to expose my family members. I just want other African families to learn from this. Thank you.

This is a strange one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/32617907

What I don't get is that if the balls were under-inflated to give Brady a better grip didn't the same apply to the Colts QB?

What would be the point in cheating when it gives you no advantage?

each team uses their own balls mike. the colts footballs were regulation weight. this whole thing is just media hype. the green bay QB aaron rodgers says he tells them to pump his up as much as they can go (there's a too low limit, not too much limit) because he has huge hands and likes that grip.

a lower pressure football by 1 psi (pound per square inch) will not make a difference.

Edited by markjazzbassist

each team uses their own balls mike. the colts footballs were regulation weight. this whole thing is just media hype. the green bay QB aaron rodgers says he tells them to pump his up as much as they can go (there's a too low limit, not too much limit) because he has huge hands and likes that grip.

a lower pressure football by 1 psi (pound per square inch) will not make a difference.

Ah; that makes a little more sense of it. But why? Is it normal for teams to inflate differently (within the rules) or use different manufacturers to try to give themselves an advantage?

Seems ridiculous. Having said that a golfer or tennis player etc would get the best and most suited equipment they can to give them an advantage over the opposition.

As you say though 1 psi must be barely noticeable.

Andy Murray destroys Nadal. On clay. In Spain.

Parallel universe time.

Good for Murray. It's a shame nadal had all those knee problems. He was so good for a while and after the knees went he's never been the same. He was the guy who got me to actually watch tennis (I know it big in Europe but it's like the 14th most popular sport here).

Good for Murray. It's a shame nadal had all those knee problems. He was so good for a while and after the knees went he's never been the same. He was the guy who got me to actually watch tennis (I know it big in Europe but it's like the 14th most popular sport here).

Only because you don't have any decent players any more (Serena aside, but women's tennis is poor just now). Bet it was more popular in the Connors McEnroe/Evert Navratilova era.

Only because you don't have any decent players any more (Serena aside, but women's tennis is poor just now). Bet it was more popular in the Connors McEnroe/Evert Navratilova era.

Yeah Agassi and Sampras were American too but no one cared then either. You are right to a point mike I'll give you that, but we have great golfers and it's barely a sport over here, more a rich mans business lunch type of event. Tennis is viewed as a rich people sport as well. Not sure why but the only kids who play it go to private school and have trust funds.

It's all American football, college football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and then the rest. Boxing nascar golf tennis soccer Etc

Funny how different the sports interests are everywhere in the world. In Asia badmitton and table tennis rule the world, those are sports we treat as a game you would play at a friends house (table tennis) or at a park for a picnic (badmitton).

To each their own.

Yeah Agassi and Sampras were American too but no one cared then either. You are right to a point mike I'll give you that, but we have great golfers and it's barely a sport over here, more a rich mans business lunch type of event. Tennis is viewed as a rich people sport as well. Not sure why but the only kids who play it go to private school and have trust funds.

It's all American football, college football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and then the rest. Boxing nascar golf tennis soccer Etc

Funny how different the sports interests are everywhere in the world. In Asia badmitton and table tennis rule the world, those are sports we treat as a game you would play at a friends house (table tennis) or at a park for a picnic (badmitton).

To each their own.

Tennis is similar to that over here for the most part as is golf; though they're not quite as inaccessible as they used to be for "ordinary" people. Joining a golf or tennis club is still expensive but there's been a growth and an improvement in the quality of "pay and play" golf courses over the years. There are still though very many where you need to have a handicap to get through the door and "green fees" are huge.

I played both badminton and table tennis to a decent level in my younger years (particularly TT), both great sports as is squash, which I also played but not quite so well.

Tennis is similar to that over here for the most part as is golf; though they're not quite as inaccessible as they used to be for "ordinary" people. Joining a golf or tennis club is still expensive but there's been a growth and an improvement in the quality of "pay and play" golf courses over the years. There are still though very many where you need to have a handicap to get through the door and "green fees" are huge.

I played both badminton and table tennis to a decent level in my younger years (particularly TT), both great sports as is squash, which I also played but not quite so well.

Yet another forgotten sport, squash. That racquetball and handball are essentially sports that middle aged men play at a fitness club to keep in shape. My father played racquetball 2-3 times a week religiously till he wasn't able due to health issues. Very fun sport, I don't know the difference between it and squash I'm sorry to say though.

I guess in the end mike as you and I seem to be figuring out, it's not necessarily the quality or fun factor of the sport which makes it popular, but the marketablitlity, national sentiment, and cultural components.

Because like yourself I grew up with a (we call it) ping pong table in the basement. Spent all my high school yeArs playing with friends and still enjoy it. The various spin top back side you can put on it, serving methods, it's a great game.

Yet another forgotten sport, squash. That racquetball and handball are essentially sports that middle aged men play at a fitness club to keep in shape. My father played racquetball 2-3 times a week religiously till he wasn't able due to health issues. Very fun sport, I don't know the difference between it and squash I'm sorry to say though.

I guess in the end mike as you and I seem to be figuring out, it's not necessarily the quality or fun factor of the sport which makes it popular, but the marketablitlity, national sentiment, and cultural components.

Because like yourself I grew up with a (we call it) ping pong table in the basement. Spent all my high school yeArs playing with friends and still enjoy it. The various spin top back side you can put on it, serving methods, it's a great game.

Major difference is the ball I think (though I've not played raquetball);a squash ball bounces very little, hits the deck and pretty much dies so it's a big adjustment getting used to that if you're used to a tennis ball type of bounce. You endlessly hit over it until your brain adjusts.

Major difference is the ball I think (though I've not played raquetball);a squash ball bounces very little, hits the deck and pretty much dies so it's a big adjustment getting used to that if you're used to a tennis ball type of bounce. You endlessly hit over it until your brain adjusts.

That's it. Racquetball the ball bounces very much. Off all the walls and roof, very lively, which keeps you moving. I think the racquets might be slightly different as well.