IGNORED

Baines

We did score 8 goals without him recently...in 2 games may I add.

Add to that Hibbert has more assists. Fellaini for me is more important to the future of our team (imo)

Agree. While I don't want to see us playing Distin or Neville there on a regular basis, I think we would probably receive a ton of cash for Baines and could survive with a new left back.

We have a few good ones coming through as well, so we only need a stop gap. Neville has enough experience to cover as well (anything to keep him out of midfield). I thought Olssen would have been a good alternative but linked to Stoke for £8 mil, which will help boost Baines market value.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mirror.co..._medium=twitter

So the Mirror, in all its wisdom, has gone £5m, then £10m, then £12m while we're apparently holding out for £15m.

These idiots get paid to write this stuff.

15m for future England left back? The same player that season before got more assists/goals than any defender in Europe? In a market where English players have a premium on top of their asking fee? Behave, that gets them half way there. Lazy journalism...

15m for future England left back? The same player that season before got more assists/goals than any defender in Europe? In a market where English players have a premium on top of their asking fee? Behave, that gets them half way there. Lazy journalism...

they don't just make these stories up you know, it's mostly agents feeding them information, i have 2 journo's in my family and im fed up of seeing the comments 'lazy journalism" i shall translate it "shit scared fans" if they went round making it up all the time they would get sued all over the place, and from what i know the club are happy to deal at £15m, Moyes is just desperate to get Pienaar in.

they don't just make these stories up you know, it's mostly agents feeding them information, i have 2 journo's in my family and im fed up of seeing the comments 'lazy journalism" i shall translate it "shit scared fans" if they went round making it up all the time they would get sued all over the place, and from what i know the club are happy to deal at £15m, Moyes is just desperate to get Pienaar in.

dude, Pienaar without Baines? 15m?! Come on!

Not labelling your family members as lazy but this is rubbish, made up because they needed to fill a part of a page and rehashed an old 'story'.

dude, Pienaar without Baines? 15m?! Come on!

Not labelling your family members as lazy but this is rubbish, made up because they needed to fill a part of a page and rehashed an old 'story'.

Its NOT rubbish though, Baines was apparently asking to leave since last summer, ask Mark, he's heard about it, Baines will be gone in a few weeks whether we like it or not, the only thing i might agree with you on is the price, but from what i know the club are prepared to do a deal.

This i guess is where all the Richardson links are coming from as a possible replacment

Edited by theprisoner

Might be a blessing in disguise? (Bare with me)

I love Baines, I think he's brilliant, he's a worker and a creator, and i'd be devestated if he went however I have two points in case, to suggest we'll be ok.

1) During the time Baines was out at the back end of the season, we scored a decent amount of goals. For once we didn't try to use the leftside as our only for of attack; we went through the centre and even attacked down the right :o

2) Sometimes we over rely on our left sided attack. If teams know this, then they'll concentrate on nullifying the threat. However, without Baines, Moyes will have to look at strengthening the right side as well. Lets be honest, we've probably got away with a weak right-side for a few years and losing Baines could be the catalyst that gets the team 'balanced'. He may have to buy a new RB, he may also try and buy a decent RM?? Hopefully that'll spread play across the park and make us a little less predictable.

Its NOT rubbish though, Baines was apparently asking to leave since last summer, ask Mark, he's heard about it, Baines will be gone in a few weeks whether we like it or not, the only thing i might agree with you on is the price, but from what i know the club are prepared to do a deal.

This i guess is where all the Richardson links are coming from as a possible replacment

time will tell mate. The Richardson rumour has popped up as a past link that would work with this one, no more i reckon. Still, neither of us work for the club so we cant say anything for sure.

Phil McNulty

Everton have had no contact at all as yet from Man Utd about Leighton Baines - not to say they won't but that is the current position.

So at least 1 journo is making things up.... Also, looked back through the thread, he was definitely going last year from what people heard. I'll believe it when I see it. Hes an Evertonian, with 3 yrs on his contract, not the type of guy to disrupt for his own gain, is a star player here and adored by fans and team mates. If, and its a real IF, we dont get Pienaar quickly then maybe he will get anxious.

so you're sayin every rumour has truth to it? please tell me where everton plan to get the money for all the signings we are apparently linked with then

I may have heard that Baines would be willing to leave but to say that journalists don't make up stories is a bit naive don't you think? It's clear that a lot of the time that's exactly what they do.

I'll be disappointed if we accept anything less than £20million.

I only know what ive been told by journalists themselves, they would be libel to all sorts if they went round making stuff up all the time, the majority of it comes from agents or the clubs themselves trying to deflect attention away from other things, but thats what i know as the working way.

Guest Nikica

True, but he's 28 years old.

Anyway, was looking on Redcafe due to speculation United are interested in him and a lot of the Mancs don't fancy Baines much.

Given the car crash that Evra has been for the last couple of years, Baines would surely be an improvement.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

So was Berbatov when they paid £30million for him.

Well yeah, but Berbatov is an attacker, and they generally go for more money, unless the defender is truly one of the best in the world.

I'd say you should snap their hand off for £15 million.

Then again, English premium, inflation etc...you might get £25m.

Edited by Nikica

As a stand alone player he may be worth £15m, but for what he brings to our team in terms of attacking, defending and probably morale, he is worth £30m to the squad as a whole.

To replace him we would need a defender and a midfielder, and enough money to cover both wages.

But even if we got £30m, id be surprised if even half of that went to the transfer funds.

Guest Nikica

As a stand alone player he may be worth £15m, but for what he brings to our team in terms of attacking, defending and probably morale, he is worth £30m to the squad as a whole.

To replace him we would need a defender and a midfielder, and enough money to cover both wages.

But even if we got £30m, id be surprised if even half of that went to the transfer funds.

I agree with you - for what he offers the team I wouldn't sell him. When I said 'snap their hands off for £15m' I meant if he was definitely going to be sold. In that event, £15m would be good money. I don't think other clubs would value him more highly (other than perhaps Man City or Chelsea), and Man United don't spend over £20m on 28 year olds (Berbatov was an exception). Ferguson buys young, looking for 'resale value' etc. I think that policy is flawed, but it's generally how they work.

They might make an exception for Baines, who knows.

Guest Nikica

wouldn't sell him for less than 25m..he's worth too much to us for us to take anythin like 15m

That's the key point though - he's worth £25m to Everton but is he worth that to other clubs?

I agree with everyone that 28 is prime age by the way - I was just saying that Man United MOST OF THE TIME wouldn't buy a player at that age for over £20m. I'm not saying they're right or wrong.

Man City and Chelsea would probably pay over £20m for Baines though, given their propensity to pay over the odds. I'd expect one of the best LBs in the world for £25m, but the market is so inflated that you can see a guy like Baines (who is very good, but not one of the world's top LBs) going for that sort of sum.

That's the key point though - he's worth £25m to Everton but is he worth that to other clubs?

I agree with everyone that 28 is prime age by the way - I was just saying that Man United MOST OF THE TIME wouldn't buy a player at that age for over £20m. I'm not saying they're right or wrong.

Man City and Chelsea would probably pay over £20m for Baines though, given their propensity to pay over the odds. I'd expect one of the best LBs in the world for £25m, but the market is so inflated that you can see a guy like Baines (who is very good, but not one of the world's top LBs) going for that sort of sum.

out of interest who do you rank as the world's top lb's?

Guest Nikica

Nikica, you've got to understand that part of the fee we get for any player has to go to the banks, so we have to get high fees for anyone we sell.

Yeah, that's a fair point (I'm not familiar with Everton's finances). I'm just saying that, under normal circumstances and in a non-inflated market, £25m would be too much for Baines.

Extenuating circumstances such as Everton's alter all of the above of course. I'm simply talking about what I believe the player's true value to be.

Guest Nikica

out of interest who do you rank as the world's top lb's?

Well, I was really just making a general statement that I would expect the best in that position for £25m. But, since you ask - Marcelo, Abidal (I hear he is retiring...), Cashley for most of his career (although he's in decline), Coentrao (although he has a lot still to prove, but he certainly has the potential), and Jordi Alba. I suppose you could add Lahm in there as he can play either side (he is possibly the best name on this list).

In truth, there's a paucity of really world-class left-backs currently. But those names would be my choices.

there is only ashley cole i would rank above baines in the prem and it seems you agree...1 of your 5 is predominantly a right back...1 is retiring after an operation and hasn't played for a while...1 is young and unproven and the other is fiery and plays in a very gifted forward thinking team and doesn't get tested all that much at the back from what i see...

baines had the most assists over 3/4 years second only to dani alves in terms of defenders..he can also take free kicks and corners and scores a few from open play...his defensive game has improved no end in the last couple of years..he's quick..immensely fit(first time he's missed games through injury just recently) and has amazing stamina

i don't see why 25m is so ridiculous

Hes an Evertonian, with 3 yrs on his contract, not the type of guy to disrupt for his own gain, is a star player here and adored by fans and team mates.

He also signed a new contract at Wigan (in 2004/5) when bigger clubs (us included) were sniffing around for him so he's a loyal lad. He'd obviously go if the deal was right for Everton but he'd never do a Rooney/Lescott.