IGNORED

Baines

I'm afraid United could still be coming in for Bainesy in January. It's clear that they insisted on getting a left back in. They tried to get Baines until the last day of the window and when it was made clear to them that wasn't happening, they tried to get Coentrao in on loan. Real wanted Siqueira as his replacement, but when the Coentrao deal fell through he signed for Benfica. So now United haven't got their left back in and Real won't let Coentrao go unless they get a replacement and their first choice isn't available anymore.

I'm afraid United could still be coming in for Bainesy in January. It's clear that they insisted on getting a left back in. They tried to get Baines until the last day of the window and when it was made clear to them that wasn't happening, they tried to get Coentrao in on loan. Real wanted Siqueira as his replacement, but when the Coentrao deal fell through he signed for Benfica. So now United haven't got their left back in and Real won't let Coentrao go unless they get a replacement and their first choice isn't available anymore.

true, i hope we get a long term deal hashed out before jan, so he's saying put and it should quell the rumours.

let them come back in, we can add the 20% January mark up on to his price tag.

I don't know if it's loyalty with Baines or he just likes an easy life and just isn't arsed about being able to say he played for Man Utd, or whoever is BIG. He seems like he'd rather keep the peace than make a fuss;

Baines, "Boss, I want a transfer to Utd"

Boss, "Fuck me Bainsey, you trophy-hunting, money-grabbing wanker! After all we've done for you!?"

Baines; "Oh alright then, I'll stay. Bought any good albums recently?"

They'll feel confident of getting him if there's a next time I would imagine. It was obvious we were never going to let the two go at once.

I think Baines is in a tough position - he knows that the fans are well aware that the only way he will be going is if he refuses a new contract and asks for the move in January. He is unlikely going to want to run the risk of upsetting the fans as he is a rare breed of footballer.

In all seriousness by January the whole situation could have an entirely different perspective. United could be out of the running for the league, out the champs league and moyes fighting for his job. United have 3 months of football with a squad that for me is maybe 4th or 5th best after - Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, and maybe on a par with Arsenal. Moyes will not utilise the creative talents of that side - as we have seen with our own club. Would Baines seriously want to go to a club in that state?

I honestly think united are in for a tough run, clubs cans smell blood - a little bit when Tiger Woods lost his air of invincibility, Fergies gone and the new boy appears out of his depth...

Back to Baines and Everton, we have a nice looking "footballing" team now. Martinez has done great business, Barry and McCarthy are elite professionals, Lukaku is a real goal threat and a prescence with something to prove. The squad should be settled and Baines may want to stay a part of something big.

just watched the roberto press conference today, he stated that there are no contact talks with leighton now, they're just playing, transfer business is all over.

a january swoop isn't out of the question, but well said hafnia, i think moyes will be busy with other stuff.

Agree with this. I don't think we'd lose Baines in January. If Moyes does try to sign a leftback, it wouldn't surprise me if he went back in for Coentrao or even made a move for Luke Shaw.

If there is no contract talks then I think there may be a gentlemans agreement to sell in the summer after the world cup. As long as we have plenty of notice and have the funds to operate well then fine. He will be 30 in December next season, I think that keeping an eye on Shaw will be a wise move.

I expect to see Baines increase his performance levels, thus far he has been 70% of his usual self. He could have done with that free kick going in the other night.

Time to get on with the season, if he wants to move in the summer, let him go - but on our terms.

Stubbs has apparently been on the radio saying that Baines asked to leave and we said no... just a confirmation of what was written just before the window closed.

It's a non-story as far as I'm concerned because I'd have been surprised if he hadn't asked to leave when the interest was made concrete.

Confirmation in the Express online: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/430874/Leighton-Baines-wanted-to-join-Man-Utd-admits-Everton-coach-Alan-Stubbs

Given that the club's PR has been massively improved this summer, I'm surprised that Stubbs has taken it upon himself to make the first public statement about the player's desires and contradicted what the manager has said.

That's kinda my point. Lots of questions were asked and words said all summer about Baines' situation - and Fellaini's - and the club never entered into speculation, but the article states 'Roberto Martinez had previously denied that Baines wanted to leave, but coach Stubbs has set the record straight'.

And then quotes Stubbs saying: "Bainesy was never really an option to leave, the club had dug its heels in, but Bainesy had obviously said he'd like to go."

It seems wrong to me that the U21 coach would make such a statement about a key first team player. It's not his job, and it just fires up the speculation again.

Saying you want to go to United and handing in a transfer request are two different things I guess.

It all comes down to his professionalism now. It was a good move by the club to block a players move - sends a signal out that we will not be pushed around.

At the end of the season I would sell for £15m maybe if we have a talent lined up.

Will we see Oviedo get a few games?

Garbutt may have a chance too - would imagine the initial loan will be extended to give him as much 1st team experience as possible this year. Really liked what I saw when he had that year at Cheltenham but he, like many of our youngsters, got an untimely injury which may have put him back a little.