IGNORED

Baines

£20m would be a decent starting point I reckon... enough to buy a good replacement and then some.

i still dont want him to go but 20m now is sounding more and more tempting. But, we have to spend the majority of whats left over on replacing him most likely. The only LB I want is Luke Shaw because he is going to be better than Baines (maybe not set pieces wise) and would be a great long term investment. That said, im not that well versed on the other names being touted!

Is Baines on the slow down? Don't think so. Is he lacking interest now and needs a new challenge? yeah I think I agree,

£20m enough? For a player his age yes, however he has been a vital component in our team and system for so long, and up till last season I would have said get lost to any bid, but... I think his head has been turned and he is not worth keeping whilst he is going to be like that.

As Matt said, the replacement is key... I like Shaw but you can bet your bottom dollar Chelsea will have him in their sights as a Cole replacement and no doubt City will show an interest despite having 2 good options in that position.

If Moyes had any sense he'd abandon going for Baines and just go for Shaw. He'd fill their LB slot for the next 10 years, rather than 5 at most with Baines.

Moyes is a major creature of habit though... he can easily identify Cahill, Baines, Arteta and Fellaini being his most influencial signings, 2 of which would make no sense and the other two likely to be teammates in the new year.

Probably say the same about Martinez, although his excuse can be the fact he hasn't got mega millions to spend.

If Moyes had any sense he'd abandon going for Baines and just go for Shaw. He'd fill their LB slot for the next 10 years, rather than 5 at most with Baines.

true but, he knows Baines (as Haf points out) and so its less work for him. He needs instant results at the moment, to help him with his transition. For that alone we can take the Mickey on price, let alone Baines' ability.

true but, he knows Baines (as Haf points out) and so its less work for him. He needs instant results at the moment, to help him with his transition. For that alone we can take the Mickey on price, let alone Baines' ability.

Buying a LB is hardly likely to give him instant results. The logical and sensible thing to do would be to persevere with the capable Evra til the summer, splash out on a position that they actually need to strengthen and which will make a difference to their results you point out they need, and go after the better long term option of Shaw in the summer.

Obviously I'd rather they don't do that and we get a good wedge for Baines, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Buying a LB is hardly likely to give him instant results. The logical and sensible thing to do would be to persevere with the capable Evra til the summer, splash out on a position that they actually need to strengthen and which will make a difference to their results you point out they need, and go after the better long term option of Shaw in the summer.

Obviously I'd rather they don't do that and we get a good wedge for Baines, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Unless Baines is going to be utilised in such a manner that he will be a key component in uniteds attack then I really don't see how Baines + £20m lost > Evra + £20m on a better midfielder...

Baines is a great player - but the style of play needs to accomodate his attributes. Just glad Baines isn't off somewhere like Liverpool where he would make an unbelievable difference

the opportunities he creates can give him instant results, hes proven that over the last few years

the opportunities he creates can give him instant results, hes proven that over the last few years

As Haf points out, it's midfield where they need to strengthen, and where they really need to pump all their money, not LB. It's the midfield where they're losing games because they're struggling to get a foothold in games. Bringing in Baines isn't going to change that and he'll struggle to create those opportunities if they don't have the ball due to their weak midfield!

It's all moot anyway, United will buy Baines when they don't need to and we will take their money and hopefully better ourselves and I'll be happy about United making a silly move. But as a football fan I think they're wrong to do it.

As Haf points out, it's midfield where they need to strengthen, and where they really need to pump all their money, not LB. It's the midfield where they're losing games because they're struggling to get a foothold in games. Bringing in Baines isn't going to change that and he'll struggle to create those opportunities if they don't have the ball due to their weak midfield!

It's all moot anyway, United will buy Baines when they don't need to and we will take their money and hopefully better ourselves and I'll be happy about United making a silly move. But as a football fan I think they're wrong to do it.

This is Man Utd, not us. They have buckets of money and dont have to budget in the same way. No reason they cant fortify their LB and CM at the same time, with top quality players.

I haven't spoken about it in terms of a budget have I? I've said I don't think it's a move they need to make, that it doesn't make sense to me.

Baines, or a LB in general, shouldn't be a priority for them, but that's the way it's being treated and it's barmy. The worlds gone mad I tells you, maaad!

I haven't spoken about it in terms of a budget have I? I've said I don't think it's a move they need to make, that it doesn't make sense to me.

Baines, or a LB in general, shouldn't be a priority for them, but that's the way it's being treated and it's barmy. The worlds gone mad I tells you, maaad!

no mate, but if theyre going to reinforce its not one or the other, that was my point. LB might be 2nd on the list but they can do CM, AMC and LB without batting an eye. Moyes on the other hand may not be able to.

I agree, LB isnt a priority, until the summer. Let them go mad, if it means we get good money for Baines!

not sure matt..with the amount of money that midfield needs...20m could be a big dent

they supposedly had 100m for Bale (i know, supposedly of rag papers). But they have recorded a lot of revenue recently, if my memory serves, and despite their massive debt, they are easily in the position to splash out 50m. LB = 20, AMC/MC = 30m. Like Mark says, not a priority but with that cash available, prioritising is less important.

they supposedly had 100m for Bale (i know, supposedly of rag papers). But they have recorded a lot of revenue recently, if my memory serves, and despite their massive debt, they are easily in the position to splash out 50m. LB = 20, AMC/MC = 30m. Like Mark says, not a priority but with that cash available, prioritising is less important.

I totally agree, moyes can't think that far ahead the way he is going, he needs proven players and if he gets baines for £16 or so and united go through to the next stage of the champs league it's all revenue. Plus he can wipe that out with a quick sale of nani or Hernandez. For united it's a different ball game, look at berbatov for instance

no mate, but if theyre going to reinforce its not one or the other, that was my point. LB might be 2nd on the list but they can do CM, AMC and LB without batting an eye. Moyes on the other hand may not be able to.

I agree, LB isnt a priority, until the summer. Let them go mad, if it means we get good money for Baines!

I don't think Moyes is that good at multi-tasking. Just think of his time here; we need a winger, sign a right back ;).

I just don't think Moyes can see what United actually need. They're crying out for creativity/spark in midfield so he buys Fellaini, who is as creative as Daniel Sturridge is selfless. And now he's prioritising a LB?!

If I was a United fan I'd wonder what the fuck is going through his mind.

I still think we shouldn't sell him. He might not be hitting the highs he has in recent seasons, but he's still 7-8 out of ten every game this season. If he refuses to extend his contract then different story, but if we want to keep improving under Roberto we can't be losing our top players.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading the 'do Man U need a new left-back?' debate. I'd say they do - Evra hasn't renewed his contract and he's a defensive liability anyway. Moyes seems to want him full-backs to cross the ball so his pursuit of Baines makes sense. They should have had Coentrao on loan in September anyway.

I'd agree that their gaping hole of a midfield is the priority though. They could do with some new wingers too. RVP is getting on and Rooney might leave, so when you think about it their squad has numerous issues. Moyes isn't up to the job but Ferguson isn't taking enough criticism for the shit he's left Moyes with.

Edited by Nikica

Just reading the 'do Man U need a new left-back?' debate. I'd say they do - Evra hasn't renewed his contract and he's a defensive liability anyway. Moyes seems to want him full-backs to cross the ball so his pursuit of Baines makes sense. They should have had Coentrao on loan in September anyway.

I'd agree that their gaping hole of a midfield is the priority though. They could do with some new wingers too. RVP is getting on and Rooney might leave, so when you think about it their squad has numerous issues. Moyes isn't up to the job but Ferguson isn't taking enough criticism for the shit he's left Moyes with.

I've heard that Evra could sign with Monaco. He played there prior to playing at Man U, and now they're big time because they're being bank-rolled by some Russian billionaire.