IGNORED

Tim Cahill? World Class?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be taking a bit of undue flack here, because I agree with what you are saying about Cahill. He does seem to be a target for the boo boys in here. Especially last season when he was playing with an injury and being shuffled about all over the park to help fill the gaps (ie taking one for the team). Understandably his form suffered, and he was getting slaughtered in here

A lot of people only seem to appreciate him when he is scoring goals but there is a hell of a lot more to his game than that.

His sheer enthusiasm and desire to play for the shirt is infectious and seems to lift all the other players in the side.

I wouldnt worry too much about people having a pop at him in here because the important thing is that his manager and his team mates certainly do appreciate the job he does

Dunc, I think everyone on here appreciates the impact Cahill has had on the team since he has been here. It's just every time he plays well we seem to be asked questions that indicate that he is some world beater and we do not appreciate him.

The fans we have that have followed the club through either or both golden eras know what he is all about, and that is great for the club in times of need. For me he has the same passion and determination as andy gray and Peter Reid, but is no near a master of either position as those two. That is what he needs to be to allow us to play in a formation that will see us be more adventurous. Is he a midfielder or a striker? For me he lacks attributes in both to be fully considered as either.

I'm not suggesting that it is because he is Australian. Leon Osman (although not as good as Cahill) is another who doesn't get the respect he deserves and he is English so your theory doesn't hold up.

What I am referring to is that when Pienaar, Arteta, Howard or Jags have poor games there is never a suggestion that perhaps they shouldn't be in the starting XI (and nor should there be). For some reason though, a quiet Tim Cahill game brings out the posters calling for him to be replaced. I suppose I don't understand why he doesn't get the same flexibility that the above mentioned players do.

I guess it comes down to what another poster has mentioned - he is not a "pretty" or a technical player. So unless he scores, his other work around the ground often goes unnoticed.

My comment about English whinging was somewhat tongue-in-cheek (just getting some friendly rivalry going before the ashes).

For what it's worth - I do not back all Aussies regardless of their output. I saw Lucas Neill for what he was worth - a stop gap, but ultimately a player who would always walk elsewhere for cash, and to be honest not a player of Everton quality (gives away far too many free kicks and goes to ground too often).

Ive actually said about 3 time so far this season that Arteta should be dropped. I dont complain often about Jags, Howard, Baines or Pienaar because they perform more consistently but if they do have a bad game its usually just 1 and they will still get a hard time. Cahill is a player who can be brilliant or useless, rarely inbetween (but constantly hard working - I will give him that), but his form comes in waves. Over the past he is more brilliant than not but if he has a few crap games in a row he should get stick and called to be dropped, its that simple. Here at TT, most of us try to give opinions based on what weve seen and what we know. If that means Skippy is having a bad few games, he will get flack. Just like Distin, Ossie, Hibbo etc as Mike says

Anyway, the question put forward was (from someone so blindly biased its a joke), is he world class? The answer is no, he is a great player for us but would not make it now into the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc, the teams that are the best. This is not to disrespect him or have a go at him, its just reality. Im sure he would probably be the 1st to stand up and agree.

jags gets shit every week for not bein able to pass a ball..not sure where this idea that we have favourites comes from? everyone has a favourite player and will stick up for them more than others(like anichebe with me) but as a collective there isn't a favoured one at all..that's complete rhubarb

jags gets shit every week for not bein able to pass a ball..not sure where this idea that we have favourites comes from? everyone has a favourite player and will stick up for them more than others(like anichebe with me) but as a collective there isn't a favoured one at all..that's complete rhubarb

Just to preempt it... If any of ye even dream of speaking ill of our Seamus I will find you and shite in your corn flakes.

Ive actually said about 3 time so far this season that Arteta should be dropped. I dont complain often about Jags, Howard, Baines or Pienaar because they perform more consistently but if they do have a bad game its usually just 1 and they will still get a hard time. Cahill is a player who can be brilliant or useless, rarely inbetween (but constantly hard working - I will give him that), but his form comes in waves. Over the past he is more brilliant than not but if he has a few crap games in a row he should get stick and called to be dropped, its that simple. Here at TT, most of us try to give opinions based on what weve seen and what we know. If that means Skippy is having a bad few games, he will get flack. Just like Distin, Ossie, Hibbo etc as Mike says

Anyway, the question put forward was (from someone so blindly biased its a joke), is he world class? The answer is no, he is a great player for us but would not make it now into the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc, the teams that are the best. This is not to disrespect him or have a go at him, its just reality. Im sure he would probably be the 1st to stand up and agree.

Matt, again, absolutely spot on mate. the argument that Cahill is World Class is summed up by the fact (imo) Everton dont hve any truely 'world class' players. Great and very good players for Everton but like Matt says, they wouldnt get into the top, top teams.

He's no more a target than anyone else imo, which is where the argument breaks down. What would be the motivation for picking on him more than anyone else?

There's not a single player in the squad who's not been given a hard time on here when it's been warranted, and at times TC's played below his best. He gets no more stick than (for example) Ossie, Hibbo, Neville, Distin, Arteta, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, Beckford, Yakubu and Saha (and less than most of them).

Now see this is my exact point. He does get no more stick than the likes of Hibbert, Distin, Yakubu, Fellaini etc, but he doesn't get afforded the same room for a poor game that the likes of Arteta, Pienaar, Howards and Jags get - and IMO he deserves that.

It's probably understandable that the people that DO give Cahill the respect he deserves are the ones posting in here.

I'm not saying he's beyond reproach - when he plays a bad game I will more than happily say as much. What gets on my nerves is when he plays a bad game and people start calling for his head.

As someone has mentioned - the most important thing is that he has the respect of his manager and his peers. He has that.

My main problem is, he rarely gives possession away. And he will be brilliant in games and he will score goals. Yet he will be over looked and it will be given to a defender, even if the defender makes a mistake that costs us goals. It has happened with Distin a lot over the past two seasons. He was fantastic last week. But he has cost us a lot of goals and received points for MOTM during these games.

If you say Cahill is not world class? I can't agree. Name me one player in the game who scores as many important match winning goals as he does? And this is the best league in the world.

Im Everton through and through. Im not playing the race card. But even Cahills bad games, are judged harshly here. And in these bad games, hes quiet, not crap, because he is good with possession.

The man of the match rankings are highly flawed on here. Cahill will get a 8 from goal.com and other sites, our defenders will get 6s and 7s and yet they will get a majority of the votes.

I just think hes undervalued, underappreciated and under rated from Everton fans. Opposing club fans don't under rate cahill.

Cahill

World class probably not as in World class players are few and far between.

Great for both Club and Country... Yes

Close the topic now :P

Totally agree Irby... you nailed it mate and rightfully so the topic should be ended on that note

Totally agree Irby... you nailed it mate and rightfully so the topic should be ended on that note

If we'd ended the topic you and Iggy wouldn't have been able to say you agree with him :P .

ET....let's just pretend for a moment there's a grain of truth in your point of view.

Have you got a theory as to why we're so tough on him? Just wondered.

As to the MOTM being flawed, a decent chunk of the people that vote actually go to the games at Goodison and away, so I think that the more likely flawed opinion is from someone watching TV 10,000 miles away :) .

EvertonToffees .... "Name me one player in the game who scores as many important match winning goals as he does? And this is the best league in the world".

Just off the top of my head without going around the world, Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas, Malouda.

Cahill has scored more then them this year.

Take out Gerrard and Lampards penalties and Cahill also outscores them. Give Cahill the penalties and its a very even playing field.

MikeO fair argument. But then again watching it on tv is also good. No one is getting up in front of you. etc etc.

Take out Gerrard and Lampards penalties and Cahill also outscores them. Give Cahill the penalties and its a very even playing field.

MikeO fair argument. But then again watching it on tv is also good. No one is getting up in front of you. etc etc.

Thats because Lampard has not played all season, neither has Fabregas.

Cahill has scored 4 goals, i'm not sure how many Gerrard has got at the moment but he will finish with more than Tim, and i think Malouda has scored more.

The 4 players i have mentioned will all finish the season with more than Cahill, i was just pointing out the folly of your claim about naming one player who scores more ...etc etc ...

No one is getting up in front of you. etc etc.

Two points:

1 - Bill nailed it, you're using this year against who? plus is the argument 'Cahill is world Class THIS YEAR' or...ever in the premier league?

2- Im a ST holder and have been for years, i can honestly say my opinions have never been decided based on the fact ive just stared for 90mins at the back of someones head! Stupid fuckin thing to suggest that many fans jugdements have been hindered by someone standing up m, because honestly that has never happened and if it did, i'd stand up too! What you see on TV is the good bits ;) Fellaini and the defenders get credit for their off-the-ball antics aswell as what they do on! Cahill is brilliant at timing his runs, being a nuisnace, heading...not many better however his technical ability lacks, his passing short n long, his long distance shooting is poor, he cant take set-pieces nor can he run at blistering pace! So i among 40k others see everything Cahill does (and more importantly doesn't) do...you however only see the pretty bits ;)

With every post you are losing more credibility. If you were offered lampard or gerrard in exchange for tim you wouldn't accept? You are deluded. Take his pros and cons, he is one of the least rounded players we have in our team. We use his attributes, determination, timing and heading.

World class? Watch messi, iniesta, Ashley cole, Ramos, that's world class.

You are starting to remind me of a Welshman trying to convince everyone that the stereophonics are up there with the beatles, u2 and the rolling stones.

He's no more a target than anyone else imo, which is where the argument breaks down. What would be the motivation for picking on him more than anyone else?

There's not a single player in the squad who's not been given a hard time on here when it's been warranted, and at times TC's played below his best. He gets no more stick than (for example) Ossie, Hibbo, Neville, Distin, Arteta, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, Beckford, Yakubu and Saha (and less than most of them).

When he plays well he gets praised, and when he plays crap he gets slated for it. It's really that simple, and applies to all of our players. At least that's what I do anyway.

These two sum it up for me.

I think Cahill is World Class at what he does which is getting in defenders faces, harassing, winning headers against much more physical players, making late runs and having a great knack of scoring late or vital goals, as well as bringing a brilliant attitude which I wish more players had. But you need to have more than that to be truly world class.

His passing is average, he generally isnt that great at tackling and he looks lost as a central midfielder.

He isnt world class but when he is on form and comes out guns blazing no-one will want to play against him.

With every post you are losing more credibility. If you were offered lampard or gerrard in exchange for tim you wouldn't accept? You are deluded. Take his pros and cons, he is one of the least rounded players we have in our team. We use his attributes, determination, timing and heading.

World class? Watch messi, iniesta, Ashley cole, Ramos, that's world class.

You are starting to remind me of a Welshman trying to convince everyone that the stereophonics are up there with the beatles, u2 and the rolling stones.

Ashley Cole? What has the guy ever done for England lol.

In the biggest and most important competitions? Euro and World cup. :lol:

These two sum it up for me.

I think Cahill is World Class at what he does which is getting in defenders faces, harassing, winning headers against much more physical players, making late runs and having a great knack of scoring late or vital goals, as well as bringing a brilliant attitude which I wish more players had. But you need to have more than that to be truly world class.

His passing is average, he generally isnt that great at tackling and he looks lost as a central midfielder.

He isnt world class but when he is on form and comes out guns blazing no-one will want to play against him.

I respect what your saying but he tackled Gerrard at least 5 times on the weekend. Hes actually a good tackler. How does he look lost in a position he has played all his life?

I tend to disagree, thats the thing. Hes actually not lacking much technically since 2007. Hes come a long way. Moyes sees it, the only people who don't are Everton fans.

Two points:

1 - Bill nailed it, you're using this year against who? plus is the argument 'Cahill is world Class THIS YEAR' or...ever in the premier league?

2- Im a ST holder and have been for years, i can honestly say my opinions have never been decided based on the fact ive just stared for 90mins at the back of someones head! Stupid fuckin thing to suggest that many fans jugdements have been hindered by someone standing up m, because honestly that has never happened and if it did, i'd stand up too! What you see on TV is the good bits ;) Fellaini and the defenders get credit for their off-the-ball antics aswell as what they do on! Cahill is brilliant at timing his runs, being a nuisnace, heading...not many better however his technical ability lacks, his passing short n long, his long distance shooting is poor, he cant take set-pieces nor can he run at blistering pace! So i among 40k others see everything Cahill does (and more importantly doesn't) do...you however only see the pretty bits ;)

There isn't anything wrong with watching the game on television. No need to start swearing. Im not talking about off the ball antics, im talking about last weekend for example. If hes so weak technically how was he able to disposses Gerrard at least 4 times and hit long through balls to yakubu with his left foot?

Its a myth. Hes got a good all round game.