IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

It was this:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mountain-bike-2011-2012-large-20

Now it's back up to £270. I had it reserved for £180.

I'd have thought if you had it reserved at £180 they'd be bound to honour that if you can find one somewhere else. As you'd already made a contract with them it'd come under the Sale of Goods act. Definitely worth pursuing I think (it's in stock in my local Halfords if that's any help, the 250 mile trip home would give you a chance to run it in :P).

Nearly got wiped out on Saturday morning crossing the road. One way street, traffic from the left, nothing coming. Got half-way across when a car that was parked at the side of the road about 20 yards away, pulled out like a Formula 1 car and came straight at me. I jumped (didn't know I could still jump) and the near side of the car clipped the back of my trousers. Fortunately, I managed to stay on my feet. The driver had a look of panic on his face and waved an apology but didn't stop. Obviously, being a one way street he assumed that there was nothing ahead so was checking his mirrors that nothing was coming from behind. Pedestrians didn't enter into his calculations.

Being a physics bod, I'm very attached to the subject. These summer holidays, my younger daughter is getting ahead with classes and decided to take high school physics online. Great, I thought: Someone who may follow in my footsteps. When learning about vectors, she asked for my help with a quiz question: "A river is flowing south at 99 meters/second. A boat is traveling east at ...". Stop. 99 meters per second is over 200 miles per hour, which is faster than a jet is traveling as it lifts off the runway. What idiot is going to go out on a river with that strong a current, let alone sail perpendicular to the current?

So, my gripe of the day is incompetent physics teachers and question setters.

Halfords have been in touch with me.

They've offered me this http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike-2015 at the same price :)

I'd hold out for more, until the savings amount to the increase they applied. There are clear laws against advertising one price and insisting on another, and they know it.

From what I gather, £180 - the manager told me the price that I had reserved it for.

He was going to call me before the store shut tonight to see if my local store would honour the price to save me going back to Rhyl but didn't. I will contact them again in the morning, if they don't.. I could pick it up on Saturday and go to Bell Vue for the reserve game. :)

From what I gather, £180 - the manager told me the price that I had reserved it for.

He was going to call me before the store shut tonight to see if my local store would honour the price to save me going back to Rhyl but didn't. I will contact them again in the morning, if they don't.. I could pick it up on Saturday and go to Bell Vue for the reserve game. :)

Brilliant; good on you for following it through.

Well due to my illness I have been put in a more sedate job for a while. I have been put in charge of a small bay. The lad in there has been very nice and concerned for my health to my face. BUT has been going behind my back to our controller in tears and saying toal lies to him. Apparently he is in a bad way as I am always telling him to F**k Off. Oddly I don't think I have ever even swore in front of him. He is upset because he wanted to be promoted to fill the role I am in.

The controller believes him because he has been doing this secretely for a few months on a daily basis. He has built up a portfolio of lies.

I don't hold a grudge usually but I am a very vindictive bastard. His card is most certainly marked now. AND I am not doing anything in work. I go for walks frequent tea or coffee breaks. I read books listen to music and such. Let the stupid bastard have enough rope to hang himself. It has started :)

Well due to my illness I have been put in a more sedate job for a while. I have been put in charge of a small bay. The lad in there has been very nice and concerned for my health to my face. BUT has been going behind my back to our controller in tears and saying toal lies to him. Apparently he is in a bad way as I am always telling him to F**k Off. Oddly I don't think I have ever even swore in front of him. He is upset because he wanted to be promoted to fill the role I am in.

The controller believes him because he has been doing this secretely for a few months on a daily basis. He has built up a portfolio of lies.

I don't hold a grudge usually but I am a very vindictive bastard. His card is most certainly marked now. AND I am not doing anything in work. I go for walks frequent tea or coffee breaks. I read books listen to music and such. Let the stupid bastard have enough rope to hang himself. It has started :)

sounds like something to celebrate! I love dickheads setting themselves up :)

Me too Matt.

Karma is a bitch (I prefer masala myself .... Oh that is Korma)

Next audit we have and he will be seriously hung by his own petard if he doesn't start doing a LOT of things very very quickly

No I am not laughing up my sleeve .... much

Dentist appointment tomorrow morning.

Hate them at the best of times but recent stuff means I have to go every three months for the foreseeable future and my regular lady (who I fancied the pants off so I could forgive her anything) has left so it's a new one :(.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a lit fitted to the house in 2011. It had a two year warranty and we are now in year three. Its hydraulic fluid recently started leaking, I called out the engineer to have a look (£130). He says the Hydram needs replacing (£1000). :shaking fist:

In the meantime, he's left me with a litre of fluid to top it off until the time comes when I can afford to pay to have it repaired or replaced.

Apparently it can't be replaced in situ because the pressure is too high and it's dangerous, it would be squirting everywhere.

We had a lit fitted to the house in 2011. It had a two year warranty and we are now in year three. Its hydraulic fluid recently started leaking, I called out the engineer to have a look (£130). He says the Hydram needs replacing (£1000). shaking%20fist.png

In the meantime, he's left me with a litre of fluid to top it off until the time comes when I can afford to pay to have it repaired or replaced.

Apparently it can't be replaced in situ because the pressure is too high and it's dangerous, it would be squirting everywhere.

Just because it's out of guarantee it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't responsible Louis. Sale of goods act. I'd pursue it further (I got a full refund on an out of guarantee laptop a few years back).

"Customers' rights last for six years"

"The law says that a customer can approach you with a claim about an item they purchased from you for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).

This does not mean that everything you sell has to last six years from the date of purchase! It is the time limit for the customer to make a claim about an item. During this period, you are legally required to deal with a customer who claims that their item does not conform to contract (is faulty ) and you must decide what would be the reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last. A customer cannot hold you responsible for fair wear and tear .

The six-year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

I've just been to the shop about an hour ago. As I've walked in one of the lads who works there is talking to 2 small kids. I never really looked or thought nothing of it until I noticed he'd come back in and there wasn't anyone else in the shop. I asked him who the kids were with and he said nobody and I raised my concerns as they looked so young.

He then went on to say they had been there for over half an hour and were begging for food (yes begging for food you did read it right) I went oit and they were standing there. Both had no shoes on were filthy and the little boy was dressed in a pair of dirty jeans and a school jumper that was 3 sizes too small, the little girl had ac dress on that was that filthy I wouldn't let my dog sleep on it.

I asked them what they were doing and they said they were hungry and couldn't wake their Mum up and they hadn't had anything to eat since yesterday. My first thought was something had happened and the Mum was dead or something. I wasn't keen on just putting them in my car and bringing them home and fortunately the hairdressers was open so I took them in there and asked the woman would she just be witness that I'd found them and watch them with me while I rang firstly my wife then either the police or social services.

She said she knew where they lived and the Mum was in the shop a lot getting her nails done but the kids were always walking around like that!!!! I nearly fucking dell over she said she'd go and knock and see what was going on, the house turned out to be directly facing the shops. I've bought the kids some crisps and a chocolate bar and milkshakes by this time and I'm asking them what it was like at home. The girl is so young she can't even talk properly yet and the boy (who turns out to be four the girl was 2) said they could never wake their mum up and she never fed them and always left them on their own and they never had any food.

Next thing the hairdresser has knocked the mother up and comes back across the carpark and the kids are taken back to their mother, she drags them in and slams the door. The hairdresser says she said they have been fed but she'd dozed of for 5 minutes and they'd snuck out!! Not a chance, they'd clearly dressed themselves as best they could in dirty disgusting clothes and they were fucking starving. A 4 year old doesn't make stuff like that up and I had to coax it out of him anyway he was really shy and looked scared that he'd told me.

I've just spent 15 minutes on the phone to the police and they've said they're going to send someone round to check on them but I'm physically shaken by it, it's really really upset me I can't stop thinking about the two of them 4 and 2 standing at a shop begging adults for food and what's upset me most of all is the people in the shop have just turned them away and grown adults have just turned their backs on them and left them standing there.

Honest to god it has absolutely knocked me for 6 I'm so upset about it I can't begin to describe it. 2 tiny little children begging barefoot outside a shop at 12pm in the afternoon, adults turning them away and what type of life are they going back to behind that door.

Fucking gutted for them :(