IGNORED

Distin

I'm not fully behind this to be honest. He's done well but surely he has now peaked and personally I think it's time to blood the youngsters. I have nothing against Distin but it doesn't seem like the best use of money.

I don't mind blooding the youngsters in attacking positions but its always a risk at the back. I would always go with experience at the back rather than youth.

I don't mind blooding the youngsters in attacking positions but its always a risk at the back. I would always go with experience at the back rather than youth.

And then when Distin retires his replacement has no experience at this level, they've got to be given a chance to see if they're good enough or how will we ever know? More than likely Moyes would just replace Distin by buying in an older defender because of this, meaning these promising players never get a go here.

To get the value in the initial transfer outlay you would hope to get five years from a £5m outlay with no sell on potential.

That said as a left sided centre half he has done ok. Offset against the money we received for lescott it has been good business I guess. It's the age and his imminent slowing down that concerns me. Squad player in a years time I guess.

And then when Distin retires his replacement has no experience at this level, they've got to be given a chance to see if they're good enough or how will we ever know? More than likely Moyes would just replace Distin by buying in an older defender because of this, meaning these promising players never get a go here.

I'm not suggesting they never get the chance, just that I wouldn't want a 20 year old lad with little or no experience at the top level playing regularly instead of someone like Distin who has bags of experience. Loans are for players to get experience, they shouldn't jump straight into the first team from the reserves.

I'm not suggesting they never get the chance, just that I wouldn't want a 20 year old lad with little or no experience at the top level playing regularly instead of someone like Distin who has bags of experience. Loans are for players to get experience, they shouldn't jump straight into the first team from the reserves.

See your point but give me the 22 year old rio ahead of the current one. Shawcross, luiz, Cahill all young players when blooded. I'm more concerned about lost development than taking a chance.

As soon as we secure safety I want to see Duffy given the odd twenty minutes here and there. Look at smalling at united. Will be first team regular in next year.

As soon as we secure safety I want to see Duffy given the odd twenty minutes here and there.

Nice in theory but the fact that each place higher up the league we finish is worth £800,000 (that was last year so I'm guessing it's the same this) it's not going to happen unless we're three or four up.

I'm not fully behind this to be honest. He's done well but surely he has now peaked and personally I think it's time to blood the youngsters. I have nothing against Distin but it doesn't seem like the best use of money.

Im with this... If we are as skint as we seem then why offer him an extention which will no doubt entail higher wages (and agent fees etc). He will be on a fair whack already and while he has been very good for most of this season, if a decent offer came in I wouldnt say no.

If the club want to extend his contract why dont they do this next winter? By that time we may know if it is necessary or not. I think to extend a contract now is a bit early for a player of his age... BUT HE IS STRONG DEFENDER WITH GOOD ARIAL ABILITY AND PACE...

Nice in theory but the fact that each place higher up the league we finish is worth £800,000 (that was last year so I'm guessing it's the same this) it's not going to happen unless we're three or four up.

Surely if the difference in quality between distin and our most promising youngster was win or lose we would have got rid by now? But yes, totally agree. We do not have the luxury to blood such players based on the money earned by placing in the table.

To truly test the ability of a defender you need to be in a gritty draw or one goal lead scenario, however you can give benefit to a striker when cruising at two up etc whereas the defender just needs to concentrate.

Think the solution will be to loan out like we did with Seamus, but at the same time he is classed as cover, albeit behind Hibbo at centre half.....

Not just Duffy, there is Mustafi aswell, he came with a high reputation when he was signed, should be given a go at some point or loaned out preferably, Distan should be no more than backup at his age, although we need to keep him, especially since that story the other day with Arsenal interested

Distin to arsenal? I think the money we would get isnt worth it. Sell heitinga for £9m, get the money to reinvest in the squad.

And Bilyaletdinov along with him, £15 million squid spent and they have'nt improved the squad one iota.

• 1 year later...