IGNORED

Distin

I'd give him a 3 year deal - such is my confidence that he will play till his late 30's - he is a month older than Carragher and look at the difference, he is quicker now than carragher has ever been in his career...

Tremendous professional and shows what you can achieve if you look after yourself. Thing is can he be that defender who doesn't rely on pace? possibly not.

Fully justified on this season's performances. He and Heitinga have been an excellent partnership at the back, and Distin looks good to do a solid job there until Duffy is old enough and good enough to join Johnny at the back. As for Jags, I don't know what the future holds for him at Everton. He shouldn't get anywhere near a return to the line up unless one of the other two get injured or suspended, but I can't see such a highly rated player, and one with international aspirations sitting on the bench for us for long without looking elsewhere.

I'd give him a 3 year deal - such is my confidence that he will play till his late 30's - he is a month older than Carragher and look at the difference, he is quicker now than carragher has ever been in his career...

Tremendous professional and shows what you can achieve if you look after yourself.  Thing is can he be that defender who doesn't rely on pace? possibly not.

Pretty much My sentiments, If He was 25 to 28 We would be looking at a £25M + defender.

Guest blueboy122

Pretty much My sentiments, If He was 25 to 28 We would be looking at a £25M + defender.

Tremendous professional and shows what you can achieve if you look after yourself. Thing is can he be that defender who doesn't rely on pace? possibly not.

Well and truely agree with these thoughts lads. I still see him as one of the best defenders in the league, he has eveything in his locker, just wish he would be a little bit better with his distribution.

Its because he does have a tendency to throw in an absolute stinker every now and then, and maybe he relies on having a good partner (as do most CB's to be fair!). I really rate Distin, he was impeccable on Saturday and deserves another year but to say he would be £25mil+ if he was in his mid-late twenties is a bit of an over-exageration IMO.

In retrospect the £5,000,000 we gave Portsmouth for his services, with regards to the absurd prices some players go for now, does represent a very good deal. I really feel he should have been given an opportunity with the French national squad at some stage, even those sometimes meaningless friendlies, they could have given him a game or fitted in him somewhere

Its because he does have a tendency to throw in an absolute stinker every now and then, and maybe he relies on having a good partner (as do most CB's to be fair!). I really rate Distin, he was impeccable on Saturday and deserves another year but to say he would be £25mil+ if he was in his mid-late twenties is a bit of an over-exageration IMO.

In todays market far from it if a players such as Phil Jones can go for 16.5M I know who I'd rather pay those sort of or above figures for if obviously the age gap was similar....anyhow thats just me being speculative :)Either way He's proven to be a top center back but as You say I do think He's twice the player when given a decent partner.Not sure why He has never played for a top club but there are plenty of players who could but never do either way that fact does not disregard He's a very good defender.

In retrospect the £5,000,000 we gave Portsmouth for his services, with regards to the absurd prices some players go for now, does represent a very good deal. I really feel he should have been given an opportunity with the French national squad at some stage, even those sometimes meaningless friendlies, they could have given him a game or fitted in him somewhere

Feck knows how Mexes started ahead of him

Remind me of a stinker that Dystin has done? and this day an age a 25 year old Dystin would command at least lescott money

Hardly qualifies as a stinker getting beat a couple of times by quality strikers does it?

They were stinkers because he was absolutely shite in those games. He was caught out of position time and time again, would lose the ball, not win headers, got bullied... those things qualify as meaning he had stinkers to me.

Those are the only games that I can think of when he's been absolutely shocking though.

Manchester United when Berbatov made him look like a clown.

Against the shite just a couple of weeks ago.

Remind me of a stinker that Dystin has done? and this day an age a 25 year old Dystin would command at least lescott money

They were stinkers because he was absolutely shite in those games. He was caught out of position time and time again, would lose the ball, not win headers, got bullied... those things qualify as meaning he had stinkers to me.

Those are the only games that I can think of when he's been absolutely shocking though.

There are more examples, especially the United game (in fact both Utd games last year he made cock-ups in) but I cant recall them off the top of my head. Every now and then is probably a bit harsh, but I dont think I am unkind in saying he has cost us several goals since he has been with us (although mainly alongside Jags) and while top defenders make mistakes they are few and far between.

Its also my opinion that a lot of the great last ditch challenges we seem him make are partly his own doing in the first place where he has been out of position, or not being totally awake. The Pompey fans I know used to complain a lot about him seemingly losing concentration and giving away chances. Dont get me wrong, I like Distin and I think he is having his best season with us so far, but he hasnt been at a big club or played internationally for a reason.

Guest blueboy122

Distin for me could be one of the best centre backs in the world, he has everything in his locker, pace, power, strength etc but we just dont seem to see enough of it consistently. Sometimes I think Wow he is awesome and the next I am thinking to myself did he really just do that. Difficult one with Distin cant really judge him, alot like Yobo who I actually really rated just a shame he doesnt have a brain otherwise I have no doubt he would be playing for a top top team,

The only flaw I can see in Distin's game is his lack of ability at reading the bounce or flight of the ball, other than that he's up there with the best of them. However he does lack that certain aura/presence/class/command that some players seem to have like Kompany, Heitinga, and Vidic. As well as a few players I'd consider worse like Jags, Terry, and Lescott have. In my eyes Distin is easily in the top 10 in the prem. Vidic, Kompany, Heitinga, Vermalean and Agger(if fit) the only noticeably better players.

The question is how hasnt he played for a top top team?

Aren't we a top team? OK slightly off the pace at the moment but as the other top teams have tripped up big time on occasions this season if we hadn't dropped stupid points we'd be a lot higher than 9th now.

Top team in terms of achievement, stature, instant recognition (as in big club putting it another way), but no longer in terms of recent success. Have been overtaken the last 10/15 years by some plastics with bare trophy cabinets before they became what they are today. Were Chelsea a big club when we last won a trophy in 1995?, look at it like that. It's only in recent years some other clubs have really established themselves after decades of inactivity and mediocre nothings.

Everton for me will always be a big club, founder members of the football league and a most impressive honors list with some unique and stand out past individuals. It's simply we have fallen away the last two decades from the other challengers who have remained largely consistent. Could there be a day when we make a real return?, may not be in my lifetime again but bottom line is - Top team, Big Club, whatever way you want to see it, Yes I think that's fair enough.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...