IGNORED

Beckford

As long as he's in a blue shirt I will support him, however my opinion of him is balanced, and that he is a decent lower level prem striker.

He's done brilliant to achieve what he has, but let's be honest I could pick at least 20 better prem strikers than him, and at the moment he is the best of what we have.

His plus points are pace and movement, they really are up there. Where he lacks is technique, control, strength, arial ability, awareness.

Good mates with a Leeds fan who said to me "trust me, you will know why we don't go overboard about him, the goals you see make many think he's got it, it's the ones he misses and his overall play that make you realise he isn't all that"

He's cost us nothing, and to buy a replacement would cost £6m so.... Fair enough, it could be worse, he could be Billy.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than judge him on stats I prefer to judge him on the fact that every time I watch him he looks like a championship striker at best and we would do well to get the money being mentioned for him. Its all very well saying his goals per minute stat is better than Rooney, it doesn't mean he is a better player. You could argue his return of 10 in 38 games really isn't that great for a striker. You could also argue that as almost a 3rd of all goals in the premier league are scored in the last 10 mins and most of his appearances came from the bench this would explain why his goals to minutes played ratio is so good. I'm not saying either of these points prove anything just that different stats can be used to back up different arguements. I prefer the method of watching someone play and deciding for yourself whether they are anygood, and in my opinion beckford is crap.

As long as he's in a blue shirt I will support him, however my opinion of him is balanced, and that he is a decent lower level prem striker.

He's done brilliant to achieve what he has, but let's be honest I could pick at least 20 better prem strikers than him, and at the moment he is the best of what we have.

His plus points are pace and movement, they really are up there. Where he lacks is technique, control, strength, arial ability, awareness.

Good mates with a Leeds fan who said to me "trust me, you will know why we don't go overboard about him, the goals you see make many think he's got it, it's the ones he misses and his overall play that make you realise he isn't all that"

He's cost us nothing, and to buy a replacement would cost £6m so.... Fair enough, it could be worse, he could be Billy.

I agree with both of these. I admit his goal return is pretty good how the way he plays that probably isnt good enough to be more than a good Championship or Relegation Prem striker. More importantly than that, I dont really see how he fits in with the formation we use. Its alright saying 'if we play him with another striker etc etc' but Moyes very rarely will and that makes him a waste of wages and a decent transfer fee. The same applied to Bily. He could be a decent player in behind the striker, but he is played on the wing where he is shit so it makes no sense to keep him.

I agree with both of these. I admit his goal return is pretty good how the way he plays that probably isnt good enough to be more than a good Championship or Relegation Prem striker. More importantly than that, I dont really see how he fits in with the formation we use. Its alright saying 'if we play him with another striker etc etc' but Moyes very rarely will and that makes him a waste of wages and a decent transfer fee. The same applied to Bily. He could be a decent player in behind the striker, but he is played on the wing where he is shit so it makes no sense to keep him.

Brings me onto the questionable side of mr moyes, not being negative!!! Honest!

Given that we are not in a position to buy players, it isn't really worth getting £3m for Beckford. We all know he isn't a world beater (you don't get world beaters for £3m) but if gets 10 Prem goals this season then it would be worth keeping him. Saha is great, but will miss plenty of games with injury, Tim supports the striker, Yak isn't fit enough for the Prem any longer and that leaves Victor. Beckford's wages won't be too high. Having Beckford as a main striker is simply a reflecton of where we are as a club right now. We can only afford so many top players and Jermaine isn't one of them but he's doing ok.

I'd rather we sold them Saha.

I've not felt it from Louis for a while now, and think this will be his last season.

I'm guessing Southampton know that too. Saha is probably finishing his career with us.

PS: I think Saha'd be good to have aboard on the coaching staff. As a trainer specifically for the strikers. And not only for the first team. It would be good if he can get his wonderful two-footed strikes across on our younger players.

Edited by Steve_E

I'm guessing Southampton know that too. Saha is probably finishing his career with us.

PS: I think Saha'd be good to have aboard on the coaching staff. As a trainer specifically for the strikers. And not only for the first team. It would be good if he can get his wonderful two-footed strikes across on our younger players.

We need attacking coaching staff. I've always stated it. When you look at how many United players want the ball, and the movement they offer in which to get it, it's easy to realise why they win the league.

It's not the players, but the coaching of the team.

Is Saha the guy? I don't think he moves much at all to be honest. I've only seen Lethargy of late.

We need attacking coaching staff. I've always stated it. When you look at how many United players want the ball, and the movement they offer in which to get it, it's easy to realise why they win the league.

It's not the players, but the coaching of the team.

Is Saha the guy? I don't think he moves much at all to be honest. I've only seen Lethargy of late.

He hasn't been at his best, that's for sure. Maybe he actually is getting tired of football and just wants to move on to other things. But if he still wants to do something football related after his playing career, I think he'd be great to have in the staff. He certainly used to be a world class player and he still has the technical ability. If you could have him train with the strikers on finishing etc I think that would do all of those players good. I don't think we have someone like that at the club atm, do we? It's something very common in Holland for example.

Patrick Kluivert became a "forward trainer" at Dutch club NEC last season. Their club's main striker - Vleminckx (who always was a rather mediocre player before) - became the Dutch league's Golden Boot with 23 goals and he claimed working with Kluivert and the other forward trainer (Kluivert didn't really work there on a regular basis) made him a better player so it's certainly a position that I'd like someone to fill at Everton, whether it be Saha or someone else. I think a professional football club should have someone like that. (Kluivert has recently signed a contract with Dutch runners-up FC Twente, so he's not an option btw wink.png)

Edited by Steve_E

Did he teach them to spit in permed hair? huh.png

Went completely off the guy after seeing that. No respect for him at all I'm afraid, though I agree with the attacking coach.

Was that not Frank Rjaikard in Rudi Voeller's hair? (excuse the spellings!)

I'd rather we sold them Saha.

I've not felt it from Louis for a while now, and think this will be his last season.

huh.pngwacko.png You would rather sell the only decent forward we have on our books knowing the cash would go straight to the bank so we couldnt replace him?

Dont tell me , you think Yobo is quick so we could play him upfront tongue.png

huh.pngwacko.png You would rather sell the only decent forward we have on our books knowing the cash would go straight to the bank so we couldnt replace him?

Dont tell me , you think Yobo is quick so we could play him upfront tongue.png

He's injured, and will probably retire at the end of the season.

Beckford isn't, and won't.

Yobo could actually work. Eureka. You are a genius. Jeez, why didn't I think of that. I'm so slow. biggrin.png

He's injured, and will probably retire at the end of the season.

Beckford isn't, and won't.

Yobo could actually work. Eureka. You are a genius. Jeez, why didn't I think of that. I'm so slow. biggrin.png

Im with this to be honest. I think Saha is a cracking player, but if we can get some cash for him before her retires its a no brainer. Beckford has the promise but looking at the last couple of games isnt going to get a chance. Even so, I still think hes our best chance at goals