IGNORED

Beckford

That was my point. Shane Long £6mill who didnt score in the prem but got plenty in the Championship. beckford got 8 in the prem as he was adjusting to life at a much higher level.

It was more to support my point about £3mill being a derisory offer for Beckford

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke of an offer!

Does Sven really think he could buy him for 2.5/3 mill? or are we that much in the shits for money that it could possibly be

considered??

An English striker who imo will net minimum 15 goals in all comps, with an outside chance of an international call up maybe!

3 MILL =NO DEAL!

Expecting Becks to hit the ground running this season......watch this space!tongue.png

£2.5mil is a shocking offer... Problem now seems to be that other teams know we are broke and have to sell before doing any deals ourselves and I suspect we will see a couple more before the window shuts.

Beckford has cracking movement and he does have pace, but I dont think his overall game is brilliant. He is and never will be a lone striker, he doesnt have the strength, aerial ability and determination to be on his own, and I think sometimes he is too greedy from outside the box considering he doesnt have the best long shot. However he scores goals, and gets into some great positions, which none of our other strikers do too often.

If you offered me around the £5mil figure I would probably bite your hand off.

Leicester paid £5.5 million for a championship centre half!! and they offer us that? i wouldnt sell Becks at all. Saha has probably 20 games in him this season at best so our number nine will be Beckford. He should have scored 15 at least last year the positions he got into and misses he had so i fully expect him to score 15 plus this season

For me the jury is still out on Beckford, he did ok last year nothing more nothing less, but he did enough to deserve another season though and I certainly wouldnt let him go fo £2.5M

I have to agree with Bailey, if they offered £5M I would sell

Would we value him at 5mill if we had to buy him? Don't think so. 2.5mill, still no, around the 1 million mark? Maybe.

Would we value him at 5mill if we had to buy him? Don't think so. 2.5mill, still no, around the 1 million mark? Maybe.

We got him free because Beckford refused to renew his contract.

I personally feel that Beckford will be playing for England before the year is out. If we had to buy him, we can only judge his fee in relation to his performances, and if we were to do that, then the lad is worth at least 10-15 mill based on his 10 goals alone, never mind the 30 odd per season he was knocking in before we bought him.

We got him free because Beckford refused to renew his contract.

I personally feel that Beckford will be playing for England before the year is out. If we had to buy him, we can only judge his fee in relation to his performances, and if we were to do that, then the lad is worth at least 10-15 mill based on his 10 goals alone, never mind the 30 odd per season he was knocking in before we bought him.

10-15 million for a return ratio of 10 goals, hmmm somehow I don't think Darren Bent is all that expensive then.

10-15 million for a return ratio of 10 goals, hmmm somehow I don't think Darren Bent is all that expensive then.

1327 minutes is only 14.7 games for 8 goals and 2 assists. Consider that many of his substitutions were last 10 minute jobs and it's a pretty good record. It's 20 goals a season form, but not for a top 4 team, but with us.

We have to give guys time to bed in, and if Beckford gets the games he deserves, then he will succeed. We don't owe Saha a start. Both have contracts with us, and this will probably be Saha's last season with us. I'd rather we put our efforts into Beckford.

Bent is absolute class and a bargain at the price. Another striker who has plied his trade without top 4 support. I'd gladly have him at Everton.

1327 minutes is only 14.7 games for 8 goals and 2 assists. Consider that many of his substitutions were last 10 minute jobs and it's a pretty good record. It's 20 goals a season form, but not for a top 4 team, but with us.

We have to give guys time to bed in, and if Beckford gets the games he deserves, then he will succeed. We don't owe Saha a start. Both have contracts with us, and this will probably be Saha's last season with us. I'd rather we put our efforts into Beckford.

Bent is absolute class and a bargain at the price. Another striker who has plied his trade without top 4 support. I'd gladly have him at Everton.

You can quote all these stats as long as you like but they dont tell the full story

Can Beckford lead the line? no

Can he link up play? no

Can he hold the ball up? no

In those 1327 minutes last season did he as much as challenge a centre half? Probably not

His scoring record is admirable, which is why he deserves another go, but he is far from being a top class centre forward and he really does need to kick on this season if he is to have a future at the club

At the moment he is a good weapon to bring off the bench but until his overall game improves I dont think he would be in my starting XI

You can quote all these stats as long as you like but they dont tell the full story

Can he link up play? no

In those 1327 minutes last season did he as much as challenge a centre half? Probably not

Can Beckford lead the line? Yes, I really think he can and he has showed it before

Can he link up play? Granted, not one of his strongest sides

Can he hold the ball up? Yes he can, Beckford isnt that bad at all with his feet and he is fairly strong. Not Yakubu strong all be it but what he needs is quick support from our "wingers"

In those 1327 minutes last season did he as much as challenge a centre half? Sure he did, plenty of times. Did he succeed? Haha, no not that often. It does however look quite good when he uses his pace and just places the ball beside his center half and makes a run for it.

Statistics never lie in the long run and should never be ignored. Beckford should be our man this season, as someone said, Saha will probably end his career after this season, why wouldnt we play Beckford all year? I believe in him. If he gets a proper chance. I would however prefer it if Saha was playing next to him in a 442 to begin the season, and perhaps Saha should be replaced by Maggie when fit. We need to give him a proper run aswell. I realise that we wont play a 442 so its a bit of a dream.

Can he link up play? no

His scoring record is admirable, which is why he deserves another go, but he is far from being a top class centre forward and he really does need to kick on this season if he is to have a future at the club

At the moment he is a good weapon to bring off the bench but until his overall game improves I dont think he would be in my starting XI

I think a lot of the problem for Beckford last season was that he simply is not a lone striker but always looked very good when he had a striker up there with him. Leeds fans told us, without fail, that Beckford cannot play up top on his own. If every Leeds fan knew this, why didn't Moyes? He must have scouted him.

Play Beckford with Saha and I feel they'd be a potent partnership. Saha would drop deep, taking a defender with him, leaving Beckford with more room to drag the other defender with his pace and get opportunities to score or create even more space for the likes of Osman to exploit.

Would we be entertaining the sale of Beckford to fund a loan move for sturridge? If so I'd prefer Sturridge over Beckford but where would that leave us this time next year if we couldn't make Sturridge perm/extended?

If there was any link to losing Beckford (for closer to £5-6m) to fund an initial move for Sturridge with future options then I'd encourage any such move.

Edited by c1982

Sturridge is no more proven in the Prem than anyone else. The difference being that Sturridge thinks he should be played 20 billion per week.

I'd play them both together, but I wouldn't lose Beckford for Sturridge.

We need both. I think Beckford is a sleeping giant.

7/8m ...its not his ability but more his (new) importance to the team...if Saha is out injured we have NOONE who can score goals, or anybody who could score a brace for that matter.

Have to agree here, given our current plight we cant afford to sell for this, dont see the logic in selling to get a player on loan either as come end of the loan period we have nothing.

from a business point of view, £5m would be fantastic. from a footballing point of view, £8m would be enough to replace him i think, im not sure who with but i just dont see him being a great premier league striker. dont get me wrong ive been impressed with him, but his attitude often leaves a lot to be desired and he seems to be lacking in a first touch.

Sturridge (like we could ever afford the transfer fee) has managed 17 goals in 60 games, most of them games with from the bench with city and chelsea. but im pretty sure he blew everyone away when he went to bolton last season and played regular. 8 goals in 11 games.

id swap them in an instant.

i assume he means sell Beckford and fund a loan deal? end of the season we are one striker less with no money to replace?

i was talking fantasy land. someone further up mentioned they would not swap beckford for sturridge and would rather have beckford i think, that was what i was aiming at.